August 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Summer Loving

14th August - That's unexpected!
Play an album that is unlike any other in your collection, or that we wouldn’t necessarily think would fit in with your tastes. Explain why you like it.

Why do I like it? Just look at that cover. There's so much going on there you don't even really need any music...

Al Hurricane - Canciones Del Alma

20210815_003446.jpg

20210815_003258.jpg

Last edited:
15th August - Bookworms.
Show us a music-related book or a book that has musical themes, tell us why you recommend it and play an album by the musician/group that it highlights.

Required reading if you're interested in jazz, wandering, adventure, trying to find yourself, trying to kill yourself, bliss, despair and navigating life in general.

Here's the haggard copy I bought in college that I've been toting around for 40 years and one of the artists mentioned in the book. Bonus pic of the actual On The Road route drawn by Jack Kerouac...

Jack Kerouac - On The Road
Billie Holiday - The Quintessential Volume 1, 1933-1935

20210815_005330.jpgScreenshot_20210815-004321_Chrome.jpg

15th August - Bookworms.
Show us a music-related book or a book that has musical themes, tell us why you recommend it and play an album by the musician/group that it highlights.

Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee

20210815_001805.jpg

I have not read this Crying in H-Mart: A Memoir yet (and I don't read much to begin with), but I would like to. This is a memoir written by Michelle Zauner of Japanese Breakfast dedicated to her late mother. Would like to get a copy and read it sometime soon.

CryinginHMart.jpg

Play an album that is unlike any other in your collection, or that we wouldn’t necessarily think would fit in with your tastes. Explain why you like it.

While it may not surprise the users here - being a VMP release. My 15-year-old daughter was surprised the other day when I was flipping stations in the car and went back to The Spectrum - they were playing a track from this album.

My daughter was surprised that I went back to listen to Mitski - she was further surprised that I have this album....and even further surprised that I have another album - Puberty 2.

Mitski – Be The Cowboy
Dead Oceans – DOC150, 2018

Vinyl Me, Please. Essentials - Aug 2018

Cut by Ryan Smith at Sterling
Pressed at GZ

Zhf7K9.jpg

40XoRW.jpg

15th August - Bookworms.

A long time ago I was a member of the forum on DVDFile.com - the guy who ran the site just up and quit - as it was known he was stressed out on the book he was working on.

2 years later the book gets released....and it's great if you are a fan of the series.

7 years after the book was released a complete 6+ hour documentary was released.

Both the book and the doc discuss the music of the series, but this is the soundtrack to the documentary.

Harry Manfredini – Crystal Lake Memories (Original Soundtrack)
Birnenblatt – none, 2013/2018

Cut by Tom Haunstein at R.A.N.D. Muzik

Ci7XAV.jpg

exjeRq.jpg

rAalyn.jpg

Young me would scoff at the idea of an ambient album but, present me loves to listen to this one on Sunday mornings, with a cup of coffee and staring contemplatively out the window, while the family is still asleep,

Various Artists - Kankyō Ongaku - Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980 - 1990

D86895A4-B50C-4DA9-B15E-C32CD5FB7A6B.jpeg

15th August - Bookworms.

Actually today it is a record that has connections to several different authors and books

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

Sonic Youth, Kim Gordon Inspired by Philip Dick & Other Dystopian Writers

I started reading William Gibson the year before Daydream Nation came out and I was so excited when I saw the album had a song called The Sprawl (Gibson’s first trilogy is known as The Sprawl Trilogy). Also Hey Joni is a nice tribute to Joni Mitchell and has references to Gibson in it as well.

Daydream Nation

Sadly I cannot find my copy of Neuromancer so here is the ppbk cover alongside the album.
85DE6B26-0FEB-4902-B1C3-40D3B6B3EB14.jpeg

I have a pretty diverse collection. I asked my wife what is the most surprising and she said NWA. I listened to this record quite a bit when I was a kid, even had the amped up car stereo system. Not sure what I happened with my old cassette tape.

N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton

PXL_20210815_130906390.jpg

oh yeah, Fuck the Police.

15th August - Bookworms.

I chose to highlight the book "Post Punk Diary 1980-1982" by George Gimarc. It's basically a chronological account of all bands that formed, big shows and releases by post-punk bands of the era.

IMG_1721.JPGIMG_1723.JPG

So I opened the book randomly to different pages until I got an album I had and ended up on this page. I could have played Joy Division's Closer but opted instead for Dexy's Midnight Runners, since I hadn't played it in a while.

IMG_1718.JPG

Dexy's Midnight Runners "Searching For The Young Soul Rebels" (1980 Parlophone; 2014 reissue)

Here's the write-up from the book:

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG

Last edited:
15th August - Bookworms.

Lots to choose from the book Meet Me In The Bathroom by Lizzy Goodman

PXL_20210815_133112127.NIGHT.jpg

The Strokes - Room On Fire

PXL_20210815_133343961.jpg

Day 14 - That’s Unexpected

Multiple people have actually said they were surprised to see this on my shelves, so kind of an easy choice here. Yeah, they became sort of a caricature/bro band, but I still really like this album and I’m always happy to hear it. Lots of nostalgia helps of course.

4DDCC1A4-9A6F-4CFB-909A-DEEF8F7694B5.jpeg

The Faculty - OST (Wardgod, 2019 RSD Limited Pressing)

I'm playing catch-up today. I don't have many soundtracks in my collection and they have to really stand out for me to get interested in them. This album, the soundtrack to the film 'The Faculty', was one that played into my nostalgia as it was one of the first horror films that I watched. The soundtrack isn't actually all that impressive and I actually showed restraint by passing it up on RSD. It then popped up on ebay for a great price and I took the plunge.

IMG_2875.jpeg

Day 15: Bookworms
Show us a music-related book or a book that has musical themes, tell us why you recommend it and play an album by the musician/group that it highlights

Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby
paired w/
Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung by Lester Bangs
C244AF86-DBEC-4A0D-8A36-46D978DBC6C4.jpeg
Lester Bangs interviews (maybe better described as intellectual sparring matches) with Lou Reed were legendary; entitled "Let Us Now Praise Famous Death Dwarves (or how I slugged it out with Lou Reed and stayed awake)" published in a 1975 issue of Cream magazine was infamous for the combative nature. This interview is included along with other quality pieces like a write-up The Clash, and a tribute to Van Morrison’s Astral Weeks amongst others.

Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - Cheek To Cheek
20210815_221813.jpg

This may have been one of the hardest prompts I've faced in these challenges, having such a wide ranging and broad taste. Even my wife was stumped when I asked her thoughts. Then I realized this album is the perfect choice for the prompt.

I've never been a fan of Tony Bennett - no ill will or animosity, I just couldn't care much less about him or his music. I've also never really really been arsed about Lady Gaga. Despite those facts I just absolutely love this album. They're both damn fine at what they do, whether I enjoy it or not, and in the case of these timeless standards I really and truly do. So much so that had I still lived in Vancouver and not faced expensive ferry costs and non-ideal logistics on top of the steep ticket price, I would likely have gone to see them when they toured this album. And never once before that (or even since, really) would I have thought that I would nearly buy tickets to see either of them, let alone both.

15th August - Bookworms.

Thelonious Monk - The Unique Thelonious Monk
20210815_231036.jpg

Monk!: Thelonious, Pannonica, and the Friendship Behind a Musical Revolution
by Youssef Daoudi

20210815_231345.jpg

Most of my favourite music books are in storage right now, but I recently got this one back a couple of years after lending it to a friend and former co-worker. I don't remember a lot of specifics about the graphic novel save that I loved it. The art and storytelling were both unique and I was pretty floored when I first read it. I'm going to give it a re-read this week, I reckon, in honour of this prompt.

16th August - This should be Grand.
Today would be the birthdays of pianists Bill Evans and Mal Waldron. Play an album that features the piano as a key element.

Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs

20210816_003110.jpg

RIP to a great. Only my second time playing this one and well...it is stellar, just like the lion's share of Blue Note Tone Poet releases.

15th August - Bookworms.

Thelonious Monk - The Unique Thelonious Monk
View attachment 108817

Monk!: Thelonious, Pannonica, and the Friendship Behind a Musical Revolution
by Youssef Daoudi

View attachment 108818

Most of my favourite music books are in storage right now, but I recently got this one back a couple of years after lending it to a friend and former co-worker. I don't remember a lot of specifics about the graphic novel save that I loved it. The art and storytelling were both unique and I was pretty floored when I first read it. I'm going to give it a re-read this week, I reckon, in honour of this prompt.
I love this graphic novel, really fantastic.

Matmos - Supreme Balloon

One of the very few electronic albums in my collection. Not that I don’t like electronic music, I just am not super familiar with it outside of a handful of artists and albums.

Matmos is mostly known for their creative sample work, but this album ditches samples entirely and has the group relying solely on synthesizers.

F2C7E13C-2B62-4ADF-ABCB-33A0E546E6AD.jpeg

Back