Arrakis? More like Ar-ROCK-is! The April 2024 Record-Spinning Challenge Thread

Day 10: The Butlerian Jihad
This war destroyed all the thinking machines. Eschew electronics and play something acoustic today.
Thurston Moore - Demolished Thoughts
IMG_3428.jpeg
I enjoy when members of noisy rock bands take a step back from their main project to explore a softer style. In this case Thurston works with Beck to make a meditative acoustic album.

4 - Muad'Dib: This little mouse is resourceful. Play something by an artist that made the most of the resources of the recording studio.

The Toms - The 1979 Sessions

IMG_6960.jpeg

In 1979, producer Tommy Marolda was scheduled to record demos with the Smithereens in his home studio but they cancelled at the last minute so he decided to record more than 30 of his own songs over the weekend, playing all of the instruments on the recordings

11 - Vladimir Harkonnen: Play something that's a lot.

Any King Gizzard release is a lot (and there are a lot of them). But I picked this one as the title reminded me of Baron Harkonnens preferred method of movement.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard ~ Float Along Fill Your Lungs

IMG_6731.jpeg

12 - Little Maker: These baby sandworms are also known as sandtrout. Play something early by someone who went on to bigger things.

Donald Byrd - Chant

Recorded in 1961, this record features one of the first (if not the first) appearances from Herbie Hancock.

I just saw him perform in Austin a few nights ago, so I’ve been in the mood for some Herbie.

IMG_6253.jpeg

12 - Little Maker: These baby sandworms are also known as sandtrout. Play something early by someone who went on to bigger things.

This compilation released in conjunction with his autobiography kicks off with two tracks from Springsteens first band - The Castiles, recorded in 1966(!). Still selling out arenas 58 years later.

Bruce Springsteen ~ Chapter and Verse

IMG_6736.jpeg

Day 12: Little Maker
These baby sandworms are also known as sandtrout. Play something early by someone who went on to bigger things.

The Rockets - The Rockets
IMG_3464.jpeg

Danny Whitten, Billy Talbot, and Ralph Molina released this little heard album in 1968. Thankfully, one of their few fans turned out to be Neil Young who invited them to be the backing band for his upcoming album, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. They would change the name to Crazy Horse and the rest would be Rock & Roll History.

Back