April 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Intertextuality and You

April 28: Donald Ray Pollock, Pills

There were a few songs about pills that I thought of...but this one won the coin flips.

Yeah....I know.

Mar1lyn Man5on – Mechanical Animals
Nothing Records – 0600753385647, 1998/2012

Pressed at GZ

ijrnY1.jpg

ojf1I8.jpg

Day 29: Ursula K. Le Guin, The Island of the Immortals

Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die

3BAF150C-4D36-48E0-807C-73E5EDBA1EAC.jpeg
Lonesome George was the last Pinta Island (Galápagos) Tortoise. He lived to be 102 years old. This album by the band Tortoise is called Millions Now Living Will Never Die which implies Immortality. Unfortunately that was not the case for Lonesome George or his subspecies.

April 29: Ursula K. Le Guin, The Island of the Immortals
  • We are a carbon-based life form, as the scientists say, but how a human body could turn to diamond I do not know, unless through some spiritual factor, perhaps the result of genuinely endless suffering.
  • Perhaps “diamond” is only a name the Yendians give these lumps of ruin, a kind of euphemism.
  • I am still not certain what the woman in the village meant when she said, “There’s only one.” She was not referring to the immortals. She was explaining why she didn’t protect herself or her children from the flies, why she found the risk not worth the bother. It is possible that she meant that among the swarms of flies in the island marshes there is only one fly, one immortal fly, whose bite infects its victim with eternal life.
After reading through the full story, this song definitely applies.

Metallica ~ ...And Justice For All

1651252774793.png

• We are a carbon-based life form, as the scientists say, but how a human body could turn to diamond I do not know, unless through some spiritual factor, perhaps the result of genuinely endless suffering.
  • Perhaps “diamond” is only a name the Yendians give these lumps of ruin, a kind of euphemism.
  • I am still not certain what the woman in the village meant when she said, “There’s only one.” She was not referring to the immortals. She was explaining why she didn’t protect herself or her children from the flies, why she found the risk not worth the bother. It is possible that she meant that among the swarms of flies in the island marshes there is only one fly, one immortal fly, whose bite infects its victim with eternal life.
Spacehog "Resident Alien" (1995 Sire; 2021 Real Gone Music)

IMG_2460.JPG

We are a carbon-based life form, as the scientists say, but how a human body could turn to diamond I do not know, unless through some spiritual factor, perhaps the result of genuinely endless suffering.
Perhaps “diamond” is only a name the Yendians give these lumps of ruin, a kind of euphemism.
I am still not certain what the woman in the village meant when she said, “There’s only one.” She was not referring to the immortals. She was explaining why she didn’t protect herself or her children from the flies, why she found the risk not worth the bother. It is possible that she meant that among the swarms of flies in the island marshes there is only one fly, one immortal fly, whose bite infects its victim with eternal life.

First thing I thought of was one of the best songs ever written.

NDctMTExNi5qcGVn.jpeg

April 30: David Markson, This is Not a Novel

"Landscape of the Urinating Multitudes, Lorca called one of his New York poems."

Tim Buckley ‎– Lorca
Elektra ‎– EKS-74074, 1970

Cut by Robert Ludwig at Sterling
Pressed at Columbia, Santa Maria

qfVrdm.jpg

r8ecg1.jpg

Being lazy again with an old image

April 30: David Markson, This is Not a Novel
  • Hatred of the bourgeois is the beginning of all virtue, said Flaubert.
  • Tell all the Truth but tell it slant—
  • As a sort of mantra, Kant would sometimes recite a list of people who had lived long lives, hoping to match them. He reached eighty.
  • Gluck’s face was pitted from smallpox.
  • Haydn’s face was pitted from smallpox.
  • Mozart’s face was pitted from smallpox.
  • Ludwig Wittgenstein died of prostate cancer.
  • My mind and fingers have worked like the damned. Homer, the Bible, Plato, Locke, Lamartine, Chateaubriand, Beethoven, Bach, Hummel, Mozart, Weber are all around me. I study them, I devour them with fury. Wrote Liszt at twenty.
  • Obviously Writer exists.
  • Not being a character but the author, here.
  • Writer is writing, for heaven’s sake.
  • Landscape of the Urinating Multitudes, Lorca called one of his New York poems.
  • Unmarried women should not bathe, said St. Jerome. Ever. And should embrace the most deliberate squalor. The less to breed temptation in the world.
  • Sappho was small and dark. Though is made blond and fleshy by Raphael in his Parnassus at the Vatican.
  • Horace was short and fat. Admitting this himself in the Satires.
  • On the Knocking at the Gate in Macbeth.
  • Paul Celan’s body was not found for eleven days after he stepped off the Pont Mirabeau. Nelly Sachs died on the day of his funeral.
  • Only when Euripides was being performed would Socrates go to the theater.
  • Rossini, on the Symphony Fantastique: What a good thing it isn’t music.
David Bowie "Diamond Dogs" (1974 RCA; 2016 remaster from Who Can I Be Now? boxset)
This may reference novels, but this is not a novel, this is a LP.

IMG_2461.JPG

Thanks for organizing @Hemotep ! You put a lot of work into this. It was very challenging but I made it through.

Here's what your challenge looked like for me:

View attachment 137448
I think I scared too many off 😅 so I appreciate you all for sticking through it! I thought it was a lot of fun to see what you all picked for the posts and a lot of variety came out which was fun for me. Hope it was fun for the rest despite the challenge! Made me think about some of my music differently.

I think I scared too many off 😅 so I appreciate you all for sticking through it! I thought it was a lot of fun to see what you all picked for the posts and a lot of variety came out which was fun for me. Hope it was fun for the rest despite the challenge! Made me think about some of my music differently.
Anyone that was scared off missed out on a fun challenge. I appreciated your bold theme. I read lots of of new and interesting short stories as a result. It was fun to see all the different ways each day could be interpreted.

Thanks for putting together a thoughtful challenge!

April 26: Louise Edrich, Satan: Hijacker of a Planet
  • Stan Anderson looked intently, quietly, evenly, at each person in the crowd and spoke to each one, proving things about the future that seemed complicated, like the way the Mideast had shaped up as such a trouble zone. How the Chinese armies were predicted in Tibet and that came true, and how they'll keep marching, moving, until they reach the Fertile Crescent. Stan Anderson told about the number. He slammed his forehead with his open hand and left a red mark. There, he yelled, gutshot, there it will be scorched. He was talking about the number of the beast, and said that they would take it from your Visa card, your Mastercard, your household insurance. That already, through these numbers, you are under the control of last things and you don't know it.
  • The Antichrist is among us.
  • He is the plastic in our wallets.
  • You want credit? Credit?
  • Then you'll burn for it, and you will starve. You'll eat sticks, you'll eat black bits of paper, your bills, and all the while you'll be screaming from the dark place, Why the hell didn't I just pay cash?
  • Because the number of the beast is a computerized number, and the computer is the bones, it is the guts, of the Antichrist, who is Lucifer, who is pure brain.
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

Sounds like for this person, "The Devil is in the Details," literally. Bonus points for the CD edition being exactly 66:06.

img_20211001_131612683_hdr-jpg.113751

@Hemotep
Thanks for running a fun, interesting and challenging challenge.
Some prompts had me thinking quite awhile about what to play, some came to me right away, and others I admittedly went with a quick word association, like my very last post.
I didn't read all of the stories, but I think I read 25 of the 30. You brought some really great stuff to my attention. Cheers!

See you guys in the May challenge.

Back