April 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Intertextuality and You

April 25: Sherman Alexie, Indian Education
  • Tenth Grade I passed the written test easily and nearly flunked the driving, but still 60 received my Washington State driver's license on the same day that Wally Jim killed himself by driving his car into a pine tree. No traces of alcohol in his blood, good job, wife and two kids. 61 "Why'd he do it?" asked a white Washington State trooper. 62 All the Indians shrugged their shoulders, looked down at the ground. 63 "Don't know," we all said, but when we look in the mirror, see the history 64 of our tribe in our eyes, taste failure in the tap water, and shake with old tears, we understand completely. Believe me, everything looks like a noose if you stare at it long enough.
The first thing that popped into my head...

Soundgarden - Down On The Upside

20220426_003636.jpg

April 26: Louise Edrich, Satan: Hijacker of a Planet
  • Stan Anderson looked intently, quietly, evenly, at each person in the crowd and spoke to each one, proving things about the future that seemed complicated, like the way the Mideast had shaped up as such a trouble zone. How the Chinese armies were predicted in Tibet and that came true, and how they'll keep marching, moving, until they reach the Fertile Crescent. Stan Anderson told about the number. He slammed his forehead with his open hand and left a red mark. There, he yelled, gutshot, there it will be scorched. He was talking about the number of the beast, and said that they would take it from your Visa card, your Mastercard, your household insurance. That already, through these numbers, you are under the control of last things and you don't know it.
  • The Antichrist is among us.
  • He is the plastic in our wallets.
  • You want credit? Credit?
  • Then you'll burn for it, and you will starve. You'll eat sticks, you'll eat black bits of paper, your bills, and all the while you'll be screaming from the dark place, Why the hell didn't I just pay cash?
  • Because the number of the beast is a computerized number, and the computer is the bones, it is the guts, of the Antichrist, who is Lucifer, who is pure brain.
The first thing that popped into my head...

The Tubes - Young And Rich

20220426_012649.jpg

Last edited:
April 25: Sherman Alexie, Indian Education

Tenth Grade I passed the written test easily and nearly flunked the driving, but still 60 received my Washington State driver's license on the same day that Wally Jim killed himself by driving his car into a pine tree. No traces of alcohol in his blood, good job, wife and two kids. 61 "Why'd he do it?" asked a white Washington State trooper. 62 All the Indians shrugged their shoulders, looked down at the ground. 63 "Don't know," we all said, but when we look in the mirror, see the history 64 of our tribe in our eyes, taste failure in the tap water, and shake with old tears, we understand completely. Believe me, everything looks like a noose if you stare at it long enough.

First person who popped into my head when I read this was Jesse Ed Davis. Davis was a Native American session guitarist who I'd venture to guess nearly everyone on here has at least one album he played on. He struggled with drug and alcohol abuse but in addition to his music he worked at an addiction center for Native Americans. In a tragic ending he was found dead in the laundry room of his apartment complex with fresh track marks on his arm, which led them to conclude that he likely overdosed. He's someone worth remembering and I wish he'd lived and kept making his wonderful music.
Screenshot_20220426-083727.jpg
I'm picking an album he played on but unfortunately my copy was my dad's and pretty much the only one from his collection that is unplayable. So I'm streaming this despite having the wax. And I'm looking for a new copy now cause this is a great album by another often underrated Native American musician.

Buffy Saint-Marie - She Used To Want To Be A Ballerina
Screenshot_20220426-083539.jpg

• Stan Anderson looked intently, quietly, evenly, at each person in the crowd and spoke to each one, proving things about the future that seemed complicated, like the way the Mideast had shaped up as such a trouble zone. How the Chinese armies were predicted in Tibet and that came true, and how they'll keep marching, moving, until they reach the Fertile Crescent. Stan Anderson told about the number. He slammed his forehead with his open hand and left a red mark. There, he yelled, gutshot, there it will be scorched. He was talking about the number of the beast, and said that they would take it from your Visa card, your Mastercard, your household insurance. That already, through these numbers, you are under the control of last things and you don't know it.
  • Then you'll burn for it, and you will starve. You'll eat sticks, you'll eat black bits of paper, your bills, and all the while you'll be screaming from the dark place, Why the hell didn't I just pay cash?
  • Because the number of the beast is a computerized number, and the computer is the bones, it is the guts, of the Antichrist, who is Lucifer, who is pure brain.
Spoon "Lucifer On The Sofa" (2022 Matador)
The Devil & Mister Jones, Lucifer On The Sofa

IMG_2432.JPG

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard ~ Infest the Rats Nest

1650990427363.png

Day 25: Sherman Alexie, Indian Education

I was moved by this short story, and it's no doubt partly because I just finished reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee on Sunday.
I wish I had the brain power to choose an album that dealt with some of the things the author dealt with, but for today I'll just lean on an artist with Native American heritage.

IMG_0848.JPG

April 27: Will Christopher Baer, Suffer the Fool
  • There is a calendar on the back of the door, stuck on the wrong month. The picture is taken from an old Dick Tracy comic. I flip the months past Little Nemo, The Phantom, Betty Boop. I grind my teeth and shiver. Betty Boop disturbs me. Her eyes are too big for her head and she has no actual mouth. Her figure is freakish. The shrunken waist and big curvy breasts, the thighs of a dwarf. I turn to look in the medicine cabinet. The usual female gear, mysterious and oddly threatening. I swallow several prescription diet pills and hope my world will accelerate. Through the closed door I can hear Emma and Michelle, hissing at each other.
Lemonheads "It's A Shame About Ray" (1991 Atlantic; 2022 Fire Records remaster)
Went with this for the song "My Drug Buddy", as a loose reference to the diet pills from the story.

IMG_2456.JPG

April 27: Will Christopher Baer, Suffer the Fool
  • There is a calendar on the back of the door, stuck on the wrong month. The picture is taken from an old Dick Tracy comic. I flip the months past Little Nemo, The Phantom, Betty Boop. I grind my teeth and shiver. Betty Boop disturbs me. Her eyes are too big for her head and she has no actual mouth. Her figure is freakish. The shrunken waist and big curvy breasts, the thighs of a dwarf. I turn to look in the medicine cabinet. The usual female gear, mysterious and oddly threatening. I swallow several prescription diet pills and hope my world will accelerate. Through the closed door I can hear Emma and Michelle, hissing at each other.
Alan Silvestri ~ Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Mondo SDCC "Dip" version)

1651075607633.png

Back