April 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Intertextuality and You

April 25: Sherman Alexie, Indian Education
  • Tenth Grade I passed the written test easily and nearly flunked the driving, but still 60 received my Washington State driver's license on the same day that Wally Jim killed himself by driving his car into a pine tree. No traces of alcohol in his blood, good job, wife and two kids. 61 "Why'd he do it?" asked a white Washington State trooper. 62 All the Indians shrugged their shoulders, looked down at the ground. 63 "Don't know," we all said, but when we look in the mirror, see the history 64 of our tribe in our eyes, taste failure in the tap water, and shake with old tears, we understand completely. Believe me, everything looks like a noose if you stare at it long enough.
Zoon - Bleached Wavves

This calls for some mocassin-gaze from Anishinaabe musician Daniel Monkman.

img_20211219_163020815-jpg.122002

April 27: Will Christopher Baer, Suffer the Fool

Michelle drags the scissors across my throat like a knife and as I pull away the scissors flash and she cuts off a very small piece of my ear. Now I’m missing a tiny piece of skin and it could have been an accident.

She sleeps and I wonder if she’s dreaming, if she feels safe. I touch her lips with the back of my hand and her kiss is but a reflex. Finally, I lean over her with the knife and cut away a lock of her black hair.

Both of these passages made me think of Beck - Devil's Haircut
IMG_0855.JPG

There is a calendar on the back of the door, stuck on the wrong month. The picture is taken from an old Dick Tracy comic. I flip the months past Little Nemo, The Phantom, Betty Boop. I grind my teeth and shiver. Betty Boop disturbs me. Her eyes are too big for her head and she has no actual mouth. Her figure is freakish. The shrunken waist and big curvy breasts, the thighs of a dwarf. I turn to look in the medicine cabinet. The usual female gear, mysterious and oddly threatening. I swallow several prescription diet pills and hope my world will accelerate. Through the closed door I can hear Emma and Michelle, hissing at each other.

Little Feat - Down on the Farm

The way he describes Betty Boop causes the same discomfort as this cartoon (woman?) duck. This album cover has always weirded me out. Betty Boop also disgusts me because my mom's 77 year old husband has her tattooed on his ass.

little_feat_farm.jpg

• There is a calendar on the back of the door, stuck on the wrong month. The picture is taken from an old Dick Tracy comic. I flip the months past Little Nemo, The Phantom, Betty Boop. I grind my teeth and shiver. Betty Boop disturbs me. Her eyes are too big for her head and she has no actual mouth. Her figure is freakish. The shrunken waist and big curvy breasts, the thighs of a dwarf. I turn to look in the medicine cabinet. The usual female gear, mysterious and oddly threatening. I swallow several prescription diet pills and hope my world will accelerate. Through the closed door I can hear Emma and Michelle, hissing at each other.
The first thing that popped into my head...

Small Faces - Playmates

20220427_232235.jpg

BTW if any of you are looking for a book to read that hits like a noir on bad drugs, Will Christopher Baer's Phineas Poe trilogy is an intense ride. It's one of the few books (well three books) that I've probably read a dozen times. The first in the series Kiss Me, Judas begins with Poe waking up in a bathtub full of ice and missing a kidney. It's such a well written fast paced pulp fiction that it's a shame he's not made it bigger or written better books after these three, but you can find them collected in a single volume and it's well worth your time.

Last edited:
April 28: Donald Ray Pollock, Pills
  • Wanda tended bar at Hap's and sold the black beauties on the side. The hilljacks loved them because a three-dollar capsule made it possible to drink four times as much and still miss the telephone poles on the way home. She had a whole posse of big girls that she carted around southern Ohio to the fat doctors. To get a prescription of black beauties, all they had to do was stand on the scales and let the nurse take their blood pressure. Wanda bribed the women with cheap tennis shoes from the Woolworth's and Rax Roast Beef sandwiches and Dairy Queen milk shakes. My older sister, Jeanette, was one of her regulars. The only time I ever saw her happy was after one of those trips with Wanda to cop a 'script. She always came back with mustard stains on her good blouse and something sweet for her two illegits.
The first thing that popped into my head...

The Cramps - Stay Sick!

20200220_201148.jpg

April 22: Franz Kafka, Josephine the Songstress

Just the first thing I thought about...this also arrived today from @e.s.

Angelo Badalamenti – Blue Velvet (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Varèse Sarabande/Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer – VSD00388, 1986/2022

#RSD22 - 4500 copies

Cut by Daniel Krieger at SST
Pressed at MPO

Fw6WEo.jpg

6tvwSR.jpg

April 23: Donald Barthelme, The Rise of Capitalism

Going with my one other RSD release - because nothing reeks more of Capitalism than wringing every dollar from something once it gets popular enough.

Tennis System – Autophobia (Expanded)
Graveface Records – GRAVE176, 2022

Graveface Record Club variant - numbered/limited to 200, #59

Cut at Lucky Lacquers

ajjv6Y.jpg

UuCQSw.jpg

April 24: Jeff Noon, The Blind Spot

The cover of this soundtrack was what was in my head when reading this story...not really the music or movie.

(being lazy and using a really old image)

Various ‎– Zodiac (Songs From The Motion Picture)
Phineas Atwood ‎– none, 2007/2017

Cut by Dave Polster at Well Made Music

rkGGwg.jpg

8TANPH.jpg

April 25: Sherman Alexie, Indian Education

Going with the same thoughts of @Yer Ol' Uncle D

Printed insert with credits and a speech attributed to Chief Sealth, 1854.

The speech given by Chief Seattle in January of 1854 is the subject of a great deal of historical debate. The most important fact to note is that thereis no verbatim transcript in existence. All known texts are second-hand". Nancy Zussy / Washington State Librarian, 1993.

Soundgarden – Satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas
A&M Records – B0025422-11, 1992/2016

#BFRSD16 - Limited to 3000 copies

Pressed at Rainbo

TCxKcH.jpg

eq0tnW.jpg

• Wanda tended bar at Hap's and sold the black beauties on the side. The hilljacks loved them because a three-dollar capsule made it possible to drink four times as much and still miss the telephone poles on the way home. She had a whole posse of big girls that she carted around southern Ohio to the fat doctors. To get a prescription of black beauties, all they had to do was stand on the scales and let the nurse take their blood pressure. Wanda bribed the women with cheap tennis shoes from the Woolworth's and Rax Roast Beef sandwiches and Dairy Queen milk shakes. My older sister, Jeanette, was one of her regulars. The only time I ever saw her happy was after one of those trips with Wanda to cop a 'script. She always came back with mustard stains on her good blouse and something sweet for her two illegits.
After reading through the full story, these lyrics from the DBT seem accurate.

You've become such a mess. You and your crystal meth

You lost your family and wrecked your truck, I used to love you but now you suck
We were friends, among the best; You and your crystal meth

I ain't exactly a no-drug guy, Don't dig the way that you get high
Hope your kids don't see you throwing up, Hope they ain't there if the house blows up
Hope you ain't murdered in your sleep, Up all night with that cranked out creep
You ain't eaten and you ain't slept; You and your crystal meth

Drive~By Truckers ~ Brighter Than Creation's Dark

1651162389597.png

BTW if any of you are looking for a book to read that hits like a noir on bad drugs, Will Christopher Baer's Phineas Poe trilogy is an intense ride. It's one of the few books (well three books) that I've probably read a dozen times. The first in the series Kiss Me, Judas begins with Poe waking up in a bathtub full of ice and missing a kidney. It's such a well written fast paced pulp fiction that it's a shame he's not made it bigger or written better books after these three, but you can find them collected in a single volume and it's well worth your time.

Oooo. Speaking to a noir fan right here… thanks for the rec.

April 26: Louise Edrich, Satan: Hijacker of a Planet

Going with my usual "Satan/Devil" go-to for this one...

Heaven & Hell ‎– The Devil You Know
Rhino Records ‎– R1 519252, 2009

Cut by Ron McMaster
Pressed at RTI

APGwCk.jpg

L2a9pm.jpg

GUNS N' ROSES "APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION" (1987 Geffen; 2018 RKS remaster)
Mr. Brownstone is about drug addiction. Different drug from the story, but I'm going with it.

IMG_2459.JPG

Wanda tended bar at Hap's and sold the black beauties on the side. The hilljacks loved them because a three-dollar capsule made it possible to drink four times as much and still miss the telephone poles on the way home. She had a whole posse of big girls that she carted around southern Ohio to the fat doctors. To get a prescription of black beauties, all they had to do was stand on the scales and let the nurse take their blood pressure. Wanda bribed the women with cheap tennis shoes from the Woolworth's and Rax Roast Beef sandwiches and Dairy Queen milk shakes. My older sister, Jeanette, was one of her regulars. The only time I ever saw her happy was after one of those trips with Wanda to cop a 'script. She always came back with mustard stains on her good blouse and something sweet for her two illegits.

moe. - Not Normal, "Pill Vacation"

Screenshot_20220428-215728.jpg

I don't think I have any LP with Betty Boop, but it did make me think of this.

Various ‎– Songs From The Cool World
Warner Records ‎– 093624898344, 1992/2019

Cut by Scott Sedillo
Pressed at GZ

VORQIX.jpg

K9TMof.jpg

Back