All Things King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

just finished it, though honestly it wasn't the most super-attentive listen, but it all sounded pretty great. It sounded very cohesive to the point that those stretches I wasn't paying close attention it almost sounded like one long piece, but in a good way. my first listen highlight was definitely Static Electricity.

yeah, I am assuming he was asking when the Pre-Order is going live

Thanks! I figured from the context, but I blanked on pre-order.

I think it's delayed by design for 2 reasons.
1 - Seemed like they had significant delivery days with KG and Live San Fran, so I'm sure they wanted to build in a little extra time to iron that out.
2 - I like this fundraising they are doing with the download. Put it out now, get people to download and take the proceeds from a higher margin item. That way they can actually keep some profits from the little margin to be made off the vinyl release later.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what came to my mind.

Wasn't crazy about the singles, but im loving the back half. I'd put KG above it, but I was higher on that album than a lot of yall. Overall a mid tier gizz album with a few top tier songs for me
After my first listen, I’d have to agree.
I thought the transitions would be present in L.W. and I’m not sure I heard anything more than a song ending into the start of another. Could be wrong but I don’t remember much there.

Also, and I know this sounds weird, I was expecting “K.G.L.W.” to be WAAAAY heavier with the way people were freaking out about it. It’s a similar level of heaviness as “Hungry Wolf Of Fate.” So there’s some disappointment there from me too. I blame my own expectations, stupid me.

And the vocals, man, they are getting buried more in the mix every album. Someone let Joey master this album—heh.

That being said, I can’t wait to stream it again on the way to work tomorrow and on the way home. Always a pleasure to have a new Gizzard album to delve into and obsess over.

“Pleura” was my favorite on the first listen. Didn’t check out the single so it was a refreshing first listen and I was diggin’ those multi-layered vocals. Trippy man.

I decided to go into this one blind so I didnt listen to any of the singles. My hype was low because I really didnt care for KG at all. I think this is better and the first half is super solid, but overall still mid tier.

Fmb was my intro to gizz and I fucking love that album so the microtonal stuff isnt the problem. Even with that the songs just dont feel that adventurous, just gizz by the numbers. And the vocal mixing is starting to really bug me.

That all being said I'll always happily listen to even a mid tier gizz project.

Favorite tracks on first listens were "if not now, then when", "Supreme Ascendancy" and "K.G.L.W" (Although I was expecting alot more from that track for the same reason as @Dark Star Boogie )

Agree with the sentiments of you guys, KG is a better overall record. There are some amazing moments on this album though. My favorites after a few listens are Pleura, Supreme Ascendency, and See Me. All of those almost feel like the perfect ‘one foot in the future, one foot in the past’ vibe. They give me feelings of their earlier works while also trying out some wholly (lol) new ideas.

I've given LW a few listens. So far it's okay. I think maybe the problem for me is that they just put out a Microtonal album, so this one doesn't feel as "fresh" as King Gizzard albums usually feel? There are definitely a few songs that I really like, but nothing that jumps out at me as exciting like Intrasport, Self-Immolate, Crumbling Castle and others have done upon other first listens. But, this one will probably grow on me and become my favorite at some point. That's how it seems to work.

Having about 6/7 listens under my belt now, I can confidently now say that I really, really dig it. Just like K.G., I’ve fallen for it after a handful of repeated listens. Hard to really pick a favorite track, but “Ataraxia” is up there and “East West Link” is my vote for most underrated song. Those melodies got stuck in my head last night.

“Ataraxia” musically sounds like Tool at points, which is pretty cool, albeit not as heavy.
EDIT - and I love the dynamics within “Ataraxia.” Joey definitely loves playing with them.
And Cavs!!!!

Really all this album is missing is a great Cookie song.

I’m also beginning to realize that “K.G.L.W.” Is going to be so fucking great live. And just having bought tickets for the St Paul show this fall, I can’t wait to hear it. 🤟

Last edited:
Fuzz Club editions of the bootlegger stuff up here a little early.

Fuzz Club editions of the bootlegger stuff up here a little early.
they look great but are pretty pricey. also don't love the choice of pic disc for the demos, but at least it's something different.

Back