All Things King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

are there any songs from them that have caught your attention more than others? how heavy do you generally go with rock music? they span a wide range from groovy, to psychedelic, to garage, to jazzy, to heavy metal... if you favor any of those styles that would be a good starting point

I'm not even there yet! I've made the mistake of just turning them on while cooking or doing other stuff and not focussing on which album or track is playing. I'd say, depending on my mood, I've been more into the garage and psychedelic stuff.

I'm not even there yet! I've made the mistake of just turning them on while cooking or doing other stuff and not focussing on which album or track is playing. I'd say, depending on my mood, I've been more into the garage and psychedelic stuff.
I'm In Your Mind Fuzz is my favorite, is just a great collection of songs though doesn't really have a defined theme like others which is one thing they're kind of known for. I think it was right before Nonagon Infinity (or right around it) and they're somewhat sonically similar. these two albums styles are either what I like best from them or it's what they do best in my opinion. Nonagon is great for pulling off the cyclical album theme so incredibly well.

Gumboot Soup and Fishing For Fishes are good to check out as they incorporates a bunch of what they do more than others.

if you're feeling adventurous:
folky psychedelic then Paper Mache Dream Balloon
jazzy rock then Sketches of Brunswick East
Metal then Infest The Rats Nest
Microtonal music then Flying Microtonal Banana
Polyrhythmic Prog then Polygondwanaland
Heavy rock + spoken word then Murder of the Universe
Spaghetti Western spoken word then Eyes Like The Sky

Last edited:
Looks like they added Eyes Like the Sky, Float Along and Quarters to U.S. spotify. Here's my playlist with everything I think?

Weird, in Australia I can see ELTS in that playlist and listen to it, but when I search for it or check their discography there is no sign of it. Does it show up in a search in the US?

Edit:
Never mind, I can see it in their discography, it's just the latest album after ITRN even though it had the release date listed as 2013. Still can't search for it though.

My apologies in advance: What do you all recommend as a starting point for King Gizzard?

I realize this is probably a pretty divisive question, since they're such loved and prolific band. I've listened to them for a while now but am completely overwhelmed by their discography. To really get into them, I'm going to need 2-3 albums that I can listen to on repeat for a few weeks before moving on to the rest of the catalog.

Thanks?
Late response and I apologize. I saw this and meant to respond and forgot! I saved this graphic when I first got into KGATLW and found it very apt. I didn’t create it and I apologize for lack of credit. It did come from reddit I believe.

017AC175-8E94-4B88-B9F3-4279F8BE7EA2.png

It's 70 degrees and sunny today in Morrison, CO. I would be about an hour away from my favorite dispensary at this time and procuring my other activities for the first show tonight. Really hoping the October dates stick or they can reschedule the reschedule for next summer. Just needed to vent that somewhere. Hope everyone that checks in here is staying safe, hopefully a new album soon!

No mention of variant or pressing details but looks like we are getting new variants of pretty much every album outside of the reissues/stuff from last year.
Would love if that was a proper split two LP Murder of the Universe but I'm doubting it.

WOAH WOAH WOAH - Just noticed the Head On/Pill repress, wish it was Cellophane more but still!

No mention of variant or pressing details but looks like we are getting new variants of pretty much every album outside of the reissues/stuff from last year.
Would love if that was a proper split two LP Murder of the Universe but I'm doubting it.

WOAH WOAH WOAH - Just noticed the Head On/Pill repress, wish it was Cellophane more but still!
I'll keep an eye on them but really don't need more variants, though Head On/Pill might be worth getting just to get closer to having a complete collection.

from what I saw on the list I wish Thee Oh Sees were doing one for "An Odd Entrances", since I've been waiting forever for a new color repress to add it to the collection. maybe I should just get the black instead of waiting.

Back