All Things King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

no other band at the caliber of King Gizz is taking as many risks, at least none off the top. Not many groups can pull off the amount of genres that this band has, let alone their work ethic.

I have been hesitant to give these guys that amount of praise, but they absolutely deserve more praise and credit.
Screenshot_20220422-093711.png

Listened once through on the way to Fuzz last night. Enjoyed what I heard, going to take a bit to digest. Obviously liked some songs more than others because it's such a variety but it flowed pretty well for how different each thing sounded.
yeah man, one of the more impressive aspects of this album is how well it flows for such a diverse album.

I'm kind of surprised how much I like it upon a listen and a half. I'm not sure why I always go in with tempered expectations with them by now, but I just wasn't sure about this one going in. the rapping tracks are much better in execution than on paper but they're not my favorite. "Persistence" wasn't a favorite either, but I love that they tossed it all in making this easily the most diverse album from a pretty diverse band!

Edit: I may take back what I said about "Persistence" as I'm listening to it again, the lyrics are goofy but it fucking grooves...I could see it being super fun if they play it at a show

The album really works. I’ve been lukewarm on the past albums that jump styles here and there, but this one keeps my attention the whole way through.

The only song I don’t like is Gaia. It’s executed well, but the weird time signature just really grates on my nerves for some reason. I’ve loved the past things they’ve done with odd time signatures, but this one irks me.

Love the two rap songs. Like, really love them. Kinda hope they do an entire album with this style.

Evilest Man and Dripping Tap are my favorites. Dripping Tap might be up there with Float Along - Fill Your Lungs as my favorite Gizz tunes of all.

Love the jazzy tunes and think they work well to blend songs. It’s like little interludes between the harsher styles, but they’re legit good songs in their own right.

This might be the first Gizz album to make my Top 10 of the year. Woo!

Only was able to get through the first 4 tracks, busy day. But very excited to give this a full listen!

I’ve seen this said a few times, but does anyone think the band would be bigger if they existed in the 90’s?
I actually think they would flop in the 90s. Back then record companies were still very important to help bands get reach and air time. But the industry was formulaic enough at that time that no label of any success would pick up a band that is so hard to put into one box. It was also well into the rise of the single. Gizz is an album band, not a hit singles band. In the 90s they probably would have been a very popular band for Victoria and southern Australia.

This band has been able to thrive on leveraging the internet, streaming, and the power that technology gives to create your own independent label without major financial resources.

Really enjoyed my first listen, as usual. Actually seem like a good introductory album, like a showcase of everything they're known for and capable of.
I was thinking that even with my partial impression, and I thought the same of Gumboot.

I knew something had to be going on with that ending..

F***ing amazing. I love them.

I want to go in-depth with my thoughts, but for balance sake, the song I would take out is Ambergris, though I am sure I will change my mind at some point.

This album is wild, and that’s saying something for King Gizzard. It’s so all over the place, but it never really feels too much. I loved Butterfly 3000 and how cohesive and unified it is. This is the opposite of that, but it’s even more exciting.

Back