All Things King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

I saw a joking reddit comment that I think defined it pretty well
“The people that are pissed Kanye and Travis Scott aren’t headlining anymore”
That made me laugh.

From an outsiders perspective I tend to think that over the past decade Coachella has evolved into an influencer focused event. It seems to have become more of a place to be seen than a place to experience.
Don’t get me wrong, I’d go if I had the chance. But it does seem to have evolved in a very different way in the digital age.
Just following up with this because this post nailed it.

Back to Gizz, sorry for the detour.
So I finally got to listen to the full album this morning. Turns out it’s harder for me to find 80 minutes of music time during a normal day to give it a straight shot. I was also working which means I can’t give it my full attention. But that also highlights what songs make me stop and focus just on the music for a moment.

I’m actually surprised at how much Magenta Mountain has stuck with me. Given it’s BF3K vibe, I assumed it wouldn’t stick because that album in general didn’t wow me. But it’s become a strong favorite that I can’t get out of my head.

The other track that made me stop was Evilest Man. We’ll see if that continues to stick with me, but it certainly grabbed me on this pass.

This album feels more like a soundtrack than some of their previous works, including Gumboot. It feels more diverse, and slightly less tightly connected. Not disconnected, just not as tightly connected as they normally do. Their albums tend to flow so well that I think “how did we even get here?” But with this album I feel the breaks more. But honestly they are probably needed with the length of the album. Still haven’t been able to do the whole album on the big system yet. Maybe later today.

Back to Gizz, sorry for the detour.
So I finally got to listen to the full album this morning. Turns out it’s harder for me to find 80 minutes of music time during a normal day to give it a straight shot. I was also working which means I can’t give it my full attention. But that also highlights what songs make me stop and focus just on the music for a moment.

I’m actually surprised at how much Magenta Mountain has stuck with me. Given it’s BF3K vibe, I assumed it wouldn’t stick because that album in general didn’t wow me. But it’s become a strong favorite that I can’t get out of my head.

The other track that made me stop was Evilest Man. We’ll see if that continues to stick with me, but it certainly grabbed me on this pass.

This album feels more like a soundtrack than some of their previous works, including Gumboot. It feels more diverse, and slightly less tightly connected. Not disconnected, just not as tightly connected as they normally do. Their albums tend to flow so well that I think “how did we even get here?” But with this album I feel the breaks more. But honestly they are probably needed with the length of the album. Still haven’t been able to do the whole album on the big system yet. Maybe later today.

I’ve listened to this album more than a handful of times now, with the majority through earbuds and whenever I hear Magenta Mountain, I’m hearing this song.

Decided to revisit Timeland tonight, and I think this has been so polarizing because it's the least "Gizz" sounding album in their catalog in my opinion. They seem to have almost entirely shed their signature sound for this one project. Doen't really make me love or hate it anymore, but it makes it stand out in a really interesting way. A real experiment for a highly experimental band.

Found this tonight:

This 'jam band' thing is really sinking in. You can tell how much they've missed two years of live shows and I think Omnium Gatherum really represents this in that they've obviously been revisiting the entire catalogue and practising pretty much all of it for the shows, so it has all boiled down to this studio release that revises all their different sounds and has to piece them together. I saw them twice in 2017 and at the end of 2019 and I am more keen than ever because it finally seems that their live shows have overtaken their recordings in quality. Three hour marathon show definitely on the bucket list now, unfortunately wont be any of the upcoming ones but surely they can't be the last.

Back