All Things King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

More fun facts: they have released over 2 hours of new music since I purchased those tickets. It's a 3 hour set.
If they release one more album before that show, it's possible they could play an entire marathon set consisting only of music that wasn't released when the tickets were sold.

They're playing two shows near me and I think I want to go because it'll be a good time. The thing is, I've only listened to Nonagon Infinity and Butterfly 3000. What should I listen to to prepare? They've got quite a few albums, what are their like, top 5 that I should be familiar with? It may make listening to them less daunting

In this order:

I'm In Your Mind Fuzz
Infest The Rats' Nest
Float Along - Fill Your Lungs
Flying Microtonal Banana
Polygondwaland
Murder of the Universe
KG
LW
Paper Mache Dream Balloon
Gumboot Soup
everything else

Or just go to Bandcamp and listen to their live shows. They've got about 7 up and a few are from really recent shows.

In this order:

I'm In Your Mind Fuzz
Infest The Rats' Nest
Float Along - Fill Your Lungs
Flying Microtonal Banana
Polygondwaland
Murder of the Universe
KG
LW
Paper Mache Dream Balloon
Gumboot Soup
everything else

Or just go to Bandcamp and listen to their live shows. They've got about 7 up and a few are from really recent shows.
perfect thank you!!

They're playing two shows near me and I think I want to go because it'll be a good time. The thing is, I've only listened to Nonagon Infinity and Butterfly 3000. What should I listen to to prepare? They've got quite a few albums, what are their like, top 5 that I should be familiar with? It may make listening to them less daunting
As you go through, I suggest thinking about each albums theme. I know a lot of people that only like some of KGLW. Obviously this group is going to be more into it.

But I’ve had some friends that have only heard songs from Infest The Rats Nest and Murder of the Universe. They instantly write off the band because they’ve only heard their metal side.
So I tell them to listen to Sketches of Brunswick East, Fishing for Fishies or Paper Mache Dream Balloon and see how they feel. They certainly have a sound and format that carries across most albums, but some people just don’t like certain styles that Gizz explores.

I actually think Gumboat Soup is a good starting point because they touch on more styles across a single album.

And because of their variety, if you ask 10 Gizz heads for their Top 5 Gizz albums, it’s totally possible you get 4 lists that have zero overlap, and you’ll have 10 different lists. But the list above certainly hits a lot of the consistent high points in my opinion.

As you go through, I suggest thinking about each albums theme. I know a lot of people that only like some of KGLW. Obviously this group is going to be more into it.

But I’ve had some friends that have only heard songs from Infest The Rats Nest and Murder of the Universe. They instantly write off the band because they’ve only heard their metal side.
So I tell them to listen to Sketches of Brunswick East, Fishing for Fishies or Paper Mache Dream Balloon and see how they feel. They certainly have a sound and format that carries across most albums, but some people just don’t like certain styles that Gizz explores.

I actually think Gumboat Soup is a good starting point because they touch on more styles across a single album.

And because of their variety, if you ask 10 Gizz heads for their Top 5 Gizz albums, it’s totally possible you get 4 lists that have zero overlap, and you’ll have 10 different lists. But the list above certainly hits a lot of the consistent high points in my opinion.
This is good info thank you!

I'm halfway through "I'm In Your Mind Fuzz" right now and I like this style so far. I don't think I would be afraid of them being heavier/more metal. That actually sounds awesome. The one thing I'm noticing and remember from listening to "Nonagon Infinity" before is that they just don't stop. The album is like a long, non-stop trip. I like it, so much energy and power. I recall not really caring for the singer's voice. I thought it didn't fit with the rest of the music, that it was too high pitched or not at the front of everything but it's growing on me.

I’m far from an expert, but for their microtonal stuff, Flying Microtonal Banana is a great start.

For more heavy stuff I’d go Murder Of The Universe.

For lighter fun stuff I’d absolutely recommend Fishing For Fishies - it’s one of my favorite King Gizzard albums.

For just great solid, experimental-adjacent psych music I’d have to recommend Polygondwanaland.

Personally I wasn’t too into the thrash metal of Infest The Rats Nest. But when they blend weird psych with some heavier stuff is a sweet spot. Though Butterfly 3000 and Fishies are super high up for me.

I’m far from an expert, but for their microtonal stuff, Flying Microtonal Banana is a great start.

For more heavy stuff I’d go Murder Of The Universe.

For lighter fun stuff I’d absolutely recommend Fishing For Fishies - it’s one of my favorite King Gizzard albums.

For just great solid, experimental-adjacent psych music I’d have to recommend Polygondwanaland.

Personally I wasn’t too into the thrash metal of Infest The Rats Nest. But when they blend weird psych with some heavier stuff is a sweet spot. Though Butterfly 3000 and Fishies are super high up for me.
Rats Nest is my least favorite studio album but the songs are much more enjoyable live/on those live albums. I'd say hop on your streaming platform of preference and hit shuffle on all. :)

This is good info thank you!

I'm halfway through "I'm In Your Mind Fuzz" right now and I like this style so far. I don't think I would be afraid of them being heavier/more metal. That actually sounds awesome. The one thing I'm noticing and remember from listening to "Nonagon Infinity" before is that they just don't stop. The album is like a long, non-stop trip. I like it, so much energy and power. I recall not really caring for the singer's voice. I thought it didn't fit with the rest of the music, that it was too high pitched or not at the front of everything but it's growing on me.

Aha! That’s kind of why I put the list in the order I did. The more Psychadelic jam albums get lots of play at shows (for obvious reasons) and I would want to be familiar with the songs like I’m In Your Mind and Head On/Pill if was lucky enough to get those at my show. I also didn’t want to put too many of the same style albums close together, so it doesn’t burn you out. I front-loaded the list with albums I think you’ll have a good chance hearing more than a tune from on the upcoming tours. Cheers! Also, make sure you check out The River from Quarters! on your journey. It’s a good’n.

This Digger’s Factory pressing of Live in Melbourne ‘21 has some hellacious bass! I was surprised by it. Definitely gives off a good “live” feel when I feel the bass in my chest.

The quality of the pressing itself, unfortunately, not as much of a “good” surprise as the bass. I’ve got a few of their other live pressings and they were top notch. This one crackles and ticks for almost all of record #2.

This Digger’s Factory pressing of Live in Melbourne ‘21 has some hellacious bass! I was surprised by it. Definitely gives off a good “live” feel when I feel the bass in my chest.

The quality of the pressing itself, unfortunately, not as much of a “good” surprise as the bass. I’ve got a few of their other live pressings and they were top notch. This one crackles and ticks for almost all of record #2.

strange, i thought that was delayed until January or something ? i ordered two of these directly from diggers factory

Yup. That’s the one. Weird.

Looks like I got this one off Amazon (which is weird because I hardly order vinyl there) and I ordered it on May 21st. It was delivered November 9th. Maybe Amazon got theirs first.

Wouldn’t be the first time this happened. I got the Demons Souls soundtrack from Mondo like 3 months before street date. Didn’t even know until they sent me an email explaining the mix-up and asking me not to post pictures online until street date.

Yup. That’s the one. Weird.

Looks like I got this one off Amazon (which is weird because I hardly order vinyl there) and I ordered it on May 21st. It was delivered November 9th. Maybe Amazon got theirs first.

yeah, because everyone is amazons bitch...

im okay waiting. 15€ for the 3LP was super cheap too.

I just got my copy too, so I haven’t spun it yet. It’s been so long I forgot I ordered it. Yeah unfortunately I ordered through Amazon and remember it was expected like months ago. So I totally forgot about it. Then I finally cancelled my dumb prime account and all of the sudden…it shows up.

Back