13. Kings of Leon – Aha Shake Heartbreak
  14. Interpol – Antics
  15. Madvillian – Madvilliany
  16. Mastodon – Leviathan
  17. Amadou & Miriam – Dimanche A Bamako
  18. Iron & Wine – Our Endless Numbered Days
  19. PJ Harvey – Uh Huh Her
  20. Norah Jones – Feels Like Home

2004 is the year I got my license, so I have great memories of driving around listening to a lot of these albums; and it was a great year for music in my opinion! The pop punk/emo scene was in full force and what I was primarily listening to at that time, lots of classics from that genre came out in 2004. I was honestly surprised how many of those albums held up for me over time.

Best Albums of 2004
1. Kanye West - The College Dropout
2. My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge
3. Straylight Run - Straylight Run
4. Underoath - They’re Only Chasing Safety
5. Keane - Hopes and Fears
6. The Used - In Love and Death
7. The Black Keys - Rubber Factory
8. Senses Fail - Let It Enfold You
9. Taking Back Sunday - Where You Want To Be
10. T.I. - Urban Legend

Honorable Mentions:
11. Rascal Flatts - Feels Like Today
12. New Found Glory - Catalyst
13. Green Day - American Idiot
14. The Get Up Kids - Guilt Show
15. The Killers - Hot Fuss
16. Jimmy Eat World - Futures
17. Cartel - The Ransom EP
18. Sparta - Porcelain
19. Usher - Confessions
20. John Legend - Get Lifted
21. Incubus - A Crow Left of the Murder

This might have been the "deepest" year I remember doing for this yet. Quite a few all-time faves. I'm sure not a little of that has to do with the fact that I was 15. Seems an especially good year for Canadian music. Really enjoyed revisiting all my top 10 and a handful more that I'd never spent much if any time with this week.

1. Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days (10 pts.). I only discovered Iron & Wine in the summer before I started university, in 2007, after stumbling across some performances on YouTube. He quickly became my favourite artist and still is. This album spent every day in my Discman until a few months later when his magnum opus, The Shepherd's Dog, came out.

2. Ken Reaume - Hope In Another Place. A local favourite who really introduced me to the whole folk thing. An incredible guitarist and songwriter, who I only heard of because he was opening for City & Colour at a show I didn't even end up going to. He had a few mp3s for free on his site which I checked out, and then spent the next few years hunting desperately for a copy of his debut CD, which I eventually did find and is now one of my most treasured albums. Never found a copy of this, his second album, but I was lucky enough to see and meet him a few times in the following years.

3. Feist - Let It Die. I've been a big Feist fan for quite a while, but this album never really clicked for me until VMP did it last summer (crazy, I know). I'm still used to the Canadian cover art and tracklisting so it's always weird when "Tout doucement" starts up instead of "L'amour ne dure pas toujours." She is a Canadian treasure.

4. Arcade Fire - Funeral. This was the first vinyl record I ever bought, in 2005. My dad hooked up his old Pioneer table to his computer and we ripped it into Audacity so I could listen to it. It's not my favourite Arcade Fire album, but there's no denying it's a classic. "Rebellion (Lies)" and "Neighbourhood #3 (Power Out)" were all over that year.

5. Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans. I'm rarely in the mood for this anymore but one summer I listened to it constantly.

6. Mastodon - Leviathan. I remember seeing "March of the Fire Ants" on Much Loud, a half-hour metal show on Much Music, all the time on Friday nights when I'd tune in, eventually leading me to delve into what became my favourite metal band. "Hearts Alive" is such a fuckin' tune.

7. Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands. This and the next album were two of my main intros to "freak folk", which I've been drawn to ever since.

8. Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender. I must have been in the minority because I was never turned off by her voice on this album. I came to it after Ys, so the more focused, short "pop" songs were a nice change.

9. Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine. This album is so incredibly fun. I'd never even considered a drum-and-bass band before I'd heard them, they just blew my mind with what they could do with just the two of them.

10. MF Doom - Mm..Food (1 pt.). A much more recent discovery for me, as I'm typically not too into hip-hop, but when it is, it's gotta be fun.

HMs:
11. Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
12. k-os - Joyful Rebellion
13. Destroyer - Your Blues
14. Alexisonfire - Watch Out!. This probably would have been #1 if you asked me in 2004. I spent much of that autumn and winter trying to come up with a song like "Accidents."
15. The Hold Steady - Almost Killed Me
16. mewithoutYou - Catch For us the Foxes
17. A.C. Newman - The Slow Wonder
18. Elliott Smith - From a Basement on the Hill
19. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
20. Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News
21. Dustin O'Halloran - Piano Solos
22. Drive-By Truckers - The Dirty South

Oh man, what a year...

1. The Killers - Hot Fuss
2. Keane - Hopes and Fears
3. Muse - Absolution
4. Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch
5. Jimmy Eat World - Futures
6. Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News
7. 65daysofstatic - The Fall of Math
8. Sia - Colour the Small One
9. Feist - Let It Die
10. Snow Patrol - Final Straw
11. Grizzly Bear - Horn of Plenty
12. Loquat - It's Yours to Keep

2004:

1. Arcade Fire: Funeral
2. Kanye West: College Dropout
3. My Chemical Romance: Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge
4. Franz Ferdinand
5. Mastodon: Leviathan
6. Madvillain: Madvillainy
7. Modest Mouse: Good News for People Who Love Bad News
8. Nightwish: Once
9. The Killers: Hot Fuss
10. Feist: Let It Die

Hits a little close to home, but lol

For that range (1977-2000), I think 1981 is clearly the worst year and it's not close.

I found that list to be a little strange and all over the map. Some popular but mediocre albums (some with tons of filler) litter the list alongside albums that truly deserve critical recognition. It felt like let's just pick 40 albums at random and list them out.

For that range (1977-2000), I think 1981 is clearly the worst year and it's not close.

I found that list to be a little strange and all over the map. Some popular but mediocre albums (some with tons of filler) litter the list alongside albums that truly deserve critical recognition. It felt like let's just pick 40 albums at random and list them out.
That one really stood out to me too. It’s bookended by some great years, but somehow it just fell through the cracks. A transition year, if there ever was one.

I found that list to be a little strange and all over the map. Some popular but mediocre albums (some with tons of filler) litter the list alongside albums that truly deserve critical recognition. It felt like let's just pick 40 albums at random and list them out

That one really stood out to me too. It’s bookended by some great years, but somehow it just fell through the cracks. A transition year, if there ever was one.

Yeah 1981 was a transition year but it wasn’t that bad and tbh @wmeugene you went so hard after it that I actually checked stuff out and developed a strange fondness for it.

1999 on the other hand...

...I was there, I was 16 (the perfect age for being obsessed with music and scenes) and it was dire, drippy inconsequential indie and nu-metal ruled...

The N+G Top 20 Albums of 2004
  1. The Arcade Fire - Funeral
  2. Kanye West - College Dropout
  3. Madvillian- Madvilliany
  4. Franz Ferdinand - S/T
  5. Feist - Let It Die
  6. Animal Collective- Sung Tongs
  7. MF DOOM - MM.. FOOD
  8. Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
  9. Interpol - Antics
  10. Björk - Medúlla
  11. Wilco - A Ghost is Born
  12. Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
  13. Joanna Newsom- The Milk Eyed Mender
  14. Sufjan Stevens- Seven Swans
  15. Killers - Hot Fuss
  16. Keane - Hopes and Fears
  17. Mastodon ‎– Leviathan
  18. Drive-By Truckers - The Dirty South (tied 18)
  19. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus (tied 18)
  20. The Streets - A Grand Dont Come For Free (tied 18)

Back