9. U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
10. Kasabian - Kasabian

Honorable Mentions

Interpol
The Zutons
Razorlight
TV on the Radio
The Futureheads

Haha! You are the only person I’ve met that rates Lifeblood, I’m kinda impressed!

1) Animal Collective - Sung Tongs
2) Madvillain - Madvillainy
3) Arcade Fire - Funeral
4) Mastodon - Leviathan
5) Brian Wilson - Smile
6) Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender
7) Kanye West - College Dropout
8) Fennesz - Venice
9) MF DOOM - MM... FOOD
10) TV on the Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes

I try to make these lists based on what I enjoy/appreciate the most at this point in time. I don't think I've made a list yet with a top two combo that I listen to more frequently than Sung Tongs and Madvillainy. Also I hadn't sat down with Arcade Fire in a while and I forgot how good Funeral is. A year when Kanye is only 7 is a top heavy year for me!

2004:

1. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
2. Arcade Fire - Funeral
3. Keane - Hopes and Fears
4. Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere
5. Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans
6. Hope of the States - The Lost Riots
7. Manic Street Preachers - Lifeblood
8. R.E.M. - Around the Sun
9. U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
10. Kasabian - Kasabian

Honorable Mentions

Interpol
The Zutons
Razorlight
TV on the Radio
The Futureheads

I would defend to the death every other R.E.M. record, but not this one. apart from a couple of very good songs, that was such a misstep

1. Jens Lekman - When I Said I Wanted To Be Your Dog
2. Nagisa Ni Te - The Same As A Flower
3. Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
4. Morrissey - You Are The Quarry
5. The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike
6. Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing In The Hands
7. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
8. The Divine Comedy - Absent Friends
9. Brian Wilson - Smile
10. Tom Waits - Real Gone

I hated Good News For People Who Love Bad News back in 2004, mainly because it's a subpar Modest Mouse album. Its grown on me over the years, but I still feel some kind of way about it.
It was my entry point and I liked it enough to go back. I now put the three before it above it but still enjoy it. I think most people who were into them from the beginning jumped ship with it and called them sellouts.

Last edited:
Loving everyone's lists, looks like a good mix of time tested classics and obscure titles. I feel like a lot of the classics won't make my list. This was the first year I had money of my own. I was 16 and had a job working at Wendy's. Needless to say, most of that money went to music, movies, and video games. I still listen to most of what I found when researching what came out this year. This might be one of the biggest lists I've done to date!

1. The Matches - E. Von Dahl Killed the Locals. This one is nostalgia in the best of ways. While I listen to the rest of the top 10 more regularly, I still throw this one, or the Decomposer. I had such high hopes for this band, and it was sad to see them fail to really take off. Still, we got to good albums, and this one in particular instantly transports me to a simpler time every time I hear it. Fun wordplay dealing with the frustrations of being a teenager mixed with pop punk, what's not to love?
2. Hot Water Music - The New What Next. 2nd only to Caution, this album is wonderful.
3. Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News. I feel like this one always gets a bad rep/overlooked, but I really enjoy it. The Rock Critic does a great video analyzing "Float On" that's worth a watch.
4. Autolux - Future Perfect. Pretty obvious pick here, considering Silversun Pickups is my favorite band. Lots of style similarities, and I'm surprised I haven't seen this one more in other lists.
5. Bad Religion - The Empire Strikes First. My favorite of the 2000's Bad Religion albums. Also got me into Sage Francis as a bonus.
6. Descendents - Cool to be You. Not sure how people feel about this one, but I enjoy it a lot. 'Merican is still my 4th of July anthem.
7. Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counter Culture. I normally introduce my wife to new music, but she got me into this one, all thanks to Need for Speed Underground 2's soundtrack!
8. The Walkmen - Bows and Arrows
9. Of Montreal - Satanic Panic in the Attic
10. TV ON the Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes

Runners Up, In No Order
Crime in Stereo - Explosives and the Will to Use Them
Incubus - A Crow Left of the Murder. I feel like this one gets a lot of hate. Not sure why, I like it a lot.
The Living End - Modern ARTillery
Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica. Down here only because I have a self imposed limit of one album per artist in the top 10, unless I only have 10 or less.
The Von Bondies - Pawn Shoppe Heart
Eagles of Death Metal - Peace, Love, Death Metal
Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety. Ah, my angsty teenage years. See half the runner up list.
From First to Last - Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has a Bodycount. Most people know Sonny as Skrillex, but he was the lead singer of this band before switching to the new persona.
The Vandals - Hollywood Potato Chip
The International Conspiracy - Armed Love. Not my favorite from the band, and not as good as Refused, but still a solid album.
Sparta - Porcelain
Zebrahead - Wast of MFZB
Stars - Set Yourself on Fire
These Arms are Snakes - Oxeneers or the Lion Sleeps When Its Antelope Go Home. Long live the long ass names of the early 2000's
Elliott Smith - From a Basement on the Hill
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets
Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine
Voodoo Glow Skulls - Adiccion, Tradicion, Revolucion

It was my entry point and I liked it enough to go back. I now put the three before it above it but still enjoy it. I think most people who were into then from the beginning jumped ship with it.
Yea they were one of my favorite bands in highschool and then that album came out and they quickly fell out of favor. I still love those early albums, but the last 3 albums just arent good imo.

Yea they were one of my favorite bands in highschool and then that album came out and they quickly fell out of favor. I still love those early albums, but the last 3 albums just arent good imo.
I think there were some good songs on We were dead but overall meh. I don't even think I could name one from the last album even though I saw them on that tour.

I think there were some good songs on We were dead but overall meh. I don't even think I could name one from the last album even though I saw them on that tour.
We Were Dead is one of my least favorite albums ever. They are still a good live band last I checked, so that's comforting at least.

Had to leave so many off this list. Funeral is a top 5 album of all time for me. Fav Nick Cave album this year as well. I think my rankings, outside of #1, would vary greatly depending on mood.

1. Arcade Fire – Funeral
2. Kasabian – s/t
3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus
4. The Killers – Hot Fuss
5. Franz Ferdinand – s/t
6. Animal Collective – Sung Tongs
7. !!! – Louden Up Now
8. Joanna Newsom – The Milk-Eyed Mender
9. Kings Of Leon – Aha Shake Heartbreak
10. Interpol – Antics

2004:
1. Drive-By Truckers - The Dirty South
2. Animal Collective - Sung Tongs
3. Of Montreal - Satanic Panic in the Attic
4. The Thermals - Fuckin A
5. Electrelane - The Power Out
6. TV on the Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes
7. Arcade Fire - Funeral
8. Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse
9. Green Day - American Idiot
10. A.C. Newman - The Slow Wonder

HM:
Bad Religion - The Empire Strikes First
Camper Van Beethoven - New Roman Times
The Deathray Davies - Midnight at the Black Nail Polish Factory
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
The Hold Steady - Almost Killed Me
Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets
Manic Street Preachers - Lifeblood
Mclusky - The Difference Between Me and You Is That I'm Not on Fire
The Posies - Every Kind of Light
Stars - Set Yourself on Fire

Weird year, huge in my musical life but not many of these records are all timers for me or things I listen to regularly. Some of my favorite bands released their worst records this year (manics, rem) and even my #2 and #3 had better debuts. John Frusciante had a killer year, releasing 6 good albums. I don't even like half of Hot Fuss but the half I do like would be #1 will a bullet if it were an EP.

1. Autolux - Future Perfect
2. Interpol - Antics
3. The Libertines - S/T
4. Kanye West - College Dropout
5. John Frusciante - Shadows Collide With People
6. Usher - Confessions
7. The Killers - Hot Fuss
8. Nellie McKay - Get Away From Me
9. Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose
10. Wilco - A Ghost Is Born

HM:
Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere
Morrissey - You Are the Quarry
My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge

1. Drive-By Truckers - The Dirty South
  2. Bjork - Medulla
  3. Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
  4. Arcade Fire - Funeral
  5. Tom Waits - Real Gone
  6. Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
  7. Feist - Let it Die (wasn't familiar w/ this before the VMP release)
  8. Riley Kilo - More Adventurous
  9. Green Day - American Idiot
  10. Never Breathe What You Can't See - Jello Biafra and the Melvins

Honorable Mentions:
Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series Vol. 6, Live 1964 Concert at Philharmonic Hall
Pearl Jam - Live at Benaroya Hall
Social Distortion - Sex, Love, and Rock & Roll
U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Dresden Dolls - Dresden Dolls
Hot Snakes - Audit in Progress

Back