Album Circle

If it's a shit show it's just par for the course with my assessment that Rough Trade is sketchy af. I didn't look to see what it is cause I can wait till Monday, but I figured it'd be a gamble because of RT. No harm in returning it if it sucks.

From what I read in that reddit thread makes Amazon Record of the Month and VMP look amazing. Not surprised, I have only ordered one thing that was not discounted from Rough Trade. Most of their exclusives bore me anyway, so I had no reason to sign up in the first place. I had a similar experience with Blind Tiger record club and canceled as soon as my three months were up.

Man, that's a glorious disaster. Jeez, what a bust.

I'll see what the record is when it gets here but I'm probably going to return and cancel if that's the deal and attitude they're taking. Or maybe just keep it and cancel and consider it a $40 lesson if they're not paying for returns if I like the album. Either way, it's a cancel, insanely misleading, I'd rather give other clubs my money or just purchase what I want.

It's honestly so bad it's kind of hilarious.

Last edited:
I'll spoiler this only because it may lead you to the album but I don't think it will given the common nature of this packaging

So the "signed paper bag" is apparently like the King Gizz releases in that the paper bag is part of the overall album package, not just like a Rough Trade paper bag per se. I was still expecting on the proper sleeve but it may not be as egregious. The biggest issue is that it's not an AC Exclusive but an overstocked RT Exclusive really.

Also apparently the QR Code Links thing is...uh...not great in terms of the links provided

Haven’t looked into what the album is but it does sound really disappointing and a shitshow. I typically like RT as well. Some people are saying they wanna stay an extra month since they think RT will go out of their way to rectify it but I doubt it…

If it's a shit show it's just par for the course with my assessment that Rough Trade is sketchy af. I didn't look to see what it is cause I can wait till Monday, but I figured it'd be a gamble because of RT. No harm in returning it if it sucks.
I’ve never had a single issue with RT before. Used to order from them all the time since their shop was right by where I lived. Why were they sketchy before this?

Haven’t looked into what the album is but it does sound really disappointing and a shitshow. I typically like RT as well. Some people are saying they wanna stay an extra month since they think RT will go out of their way to rectify it but I doubt it…

I'm with you on the last part.

I'm not willing to take that leap of faith and I very well may like and keep this month's album once I give it a try. I am thinking, if they do this monthly, they have to have the next few months plotted out given timing on pressings and the lead-up. I would expect it to be limited to Rough Trade exclusives that have 500+ copies remaining in their stock who they can get artist signatures and Q&A's from for the next six months at least. The Volvelle seems like something they can do on the fly. Given RT Exclusive quantities tend to run lower, I think people who are really motivated could probably get that list rounded down.

The thing is, there's some really good albums/artists that fit the mold of this kind of club who likely have that stock still available on 1500 or 2000 pressing exclusives (I won't list them as not to remove them from contention for this month, and for all I know it could be one of those), but it doesn't fix the underlying issues and I'll let others give them $40 to find out, especially if I can just buy the exclusive I want after it's shipped for less unsigned if I love it. One of the major aspects of signing on to this is that the language strongly suggested that it was an exclusive to this club at an LE of 500, since it's not, well, that changes the equation.

I’ve never had a single issue with RT before. Used to order from them all the time since their shop was right by where I lived. Why were they sketchy before this?
I personally have never had an issue with Rough Trade, but I know others have had really rough shipping and return experiences and the whole Phoebe Bridgers Copycat Killer thing left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth (overselling the limited stock, not fulfilling some orders, and then when the re-press happens their exclusive isn't really an exclusive as they claimed).

I'm with you on the last part.

I'm not willing to take that leap of faith and I very well may like and keep this month's album once I give it a try. I am thinking, if they do this monthly, they have to have the next few months plotted out given timing on pressings and the lead-up. I would expect it to be limited to Rough Trade exclusives that have 500+ copies remaining in their stock who they can get artist signatures and Q&A's from for the next six months at least. The Volvelle seems like something they can do on the fly. Given RT Exclusive quantities tend to run lower, I think people who are really motivated could probably get that list rounded down.

The thing is, there's some really good albums/artists that fit the mold of this kind of club who likely have that stock still available on 1500 or 2000 pressing exclusives (I won't list them as not to remove them from contention for this month, and for all I know it could be one of those), but it doesn't fix the underlying issues and I'll let others give them $40 to find out, especially if I can just buy the exclusive I want after it's shipped for less unsigned if I love it. One of the major aspects of signing on to this is that the language strongly suggested that it was an exclusive to this club at an LE of 500, since it's not, well, that changes the equation.
Agree with ya on all of this. I’m out. And probably returning it or filing a chargeback. It’s laughable based on what I’ve seen in the marketing to do what they did. I remember the video having some notable faces in it too. Didn’t expect them to do unknown artists leftovers. It even says they limited the founding members to 500 to help the vinyl production crisis on the site haha.

also I did forget about Copycat Killer. I chalked it up to being an error with the label originally. But then the black being reissues entirely was a bit annoying.

My first bad experience was when they shipped me the wrong album, didn't have the right one in stock any more, then refunded me the cost of the wrong album not the much higher price I paid for the album I didn't get. Took multiple emails and a lot of back and forth before they would admit their mistake despite having all the receipts.

Then they were less than straight forward on RSD stuff on their site. Had live times they didn't hold to, charged more than any other stores, things like that just iced the cake for me. So this all doesn't really surprise me.

FWIW, one of the artists they featured in their hype video was Grimes who has, as far as I can tell, 0 RT Exclusives to her name. Another was Jarvis Cocker who is likewise. So if those artists are going to show up and aren't just two records they grabbed for filming, it probably won't be for a while (edit; or it'll be a currently unannounced exclusive that they'll put some aside for for this club)

Last edited:
What is this discorg group everyone is talking about. Is it an official one, or did someone from reddit make one?

I think it's an official Discord, or at least RT/Albumcircle was on there discussing. I didn't get an invite either but albumcircle was at least on there til the temperature got hot and ghosted.

Honestly if it were this funny consistently RT should advertise it as a perk

FWIW, one of the artists they featured in their hype video was Grimes who has, as far as I can tell, 0 RT Exclusives to her name. Another was Jarvis Cocker who is likewise. So if those artists are going to show up and aren't just two records they grabbed for filming, it probably won't be for a while (edit; or it'll be a currently unannounced exclusive that they'll put some aside for for this club)
Yea that’s why I was also more excited about this club. Figured we’d get some interesting releases/exclusives instead of stock they can’t sell…

Back