Album Circle

Certainly intriguing, but I'm geographically excluded anyhow.

I've never personally dealt with Rough Trade in any way, but haven't always heard the best things.

Certainly intriguing, but I'm geographically excluded anyhow.

I've never personally dealt with Rough Trade in any way, but haven't always heard the best things.
Someone in the comments on Reddit made it sound like there was a UK version of the club that predates this one? But maybe I misread that and they just meant the Rough Trade exclusives. I'm really not sure. But I've never heard of them doing a club before.

I'm intrigued as well.

I have no idea what to expect for music. But I'll give it a shot. She if it gives me stuff I'm into.

Everything looks fantastic. Now it's just whether or not I'm into the music.

It does say cross genre. So I'm sure I'll like some months better than others, but are we talking about new / current music with these releases. Or essentials?

Someone in the comments on Reddit made it sound like there was a UK version of the club that predates this one? But maybe I misread that and they just meant the Rough Trade exclusives. I'm really not sure. But I've never heard of them doing a club before.

I'm very close to the US. In fact, I can see Washington from the end of my street. But for whatever reason it costs as much, if not more, to ship something here than to the UK. I blame the Queen! (...for a lot of things, really.)

I'm very close to the US. In fact, I can see Washington from the end of my street. But for whatever reason it costs as much, if not more, to ship something here than to the UK. I blame the Queen! (...for a lot of things, really.)
I don't know how I missed Vancouver Island, doh! Shipping prices are awful. I used to live in South America and it wasn't even worth trying to ship back then because if there was anything good in the package it would never arrive.

I'm intrigued as well.

I have no idea what to expect for music. But I'll give it a shot. She if it gives me stuff I'm into.

Everything looks fantastic. Now it's just whether or not I'm into the music.

It does say cross genre. So I'm sure I'll like some months better than others, but are we talking about new / current music with these releases. Or essentials?
I'm on the fence with which I'd rather. On the one hand getting signed essentials could be exciting, but on the other I probably already have most of them... But new stuff is a crap shoot for me a lot of the time. It's like I hit my late 30s and became Grandpa Simpson.
awoq331_460s.jpg

I'm leaning on it sounds more like new releases than essentials now.

Which for me is more enticing than essentials. I probably have most of them from other vinyl clubs and crate digging by now.

On the bright side, if we get stuff with stuff we truly don't like, we should be able to at least get our money back on Discogs.

Vinyl Me Please picks just weren't doing it for me. I wasn't enjoying any of their selections anymore so I gave up that membership. I'm hoping this will be more my thing.

I'm leaning on it sounds more like new releases than essentials now.

Which for me is more enticing than essentials. I probably have most of them from other vinyl clubs and crate digging by now.

On the bright side, if we get stuff with stuff we truly don't like, we should be able to at least get our money back on Discogs.

Vinyl Me Please picks just weren't doing it for me. I wasn't enjoying any of their selections anymore so I gave up that membership. I'm hoping this will be more my thing.

If it goes into essential territory it has to be from artists still around to sign. It's intriguing though

Also FWIW in the video on the site the 2 albums shown are Moses Boyd "Displaced Diaspora" being unboxed and Grimes "Visions" spinning

And it looked like Jarvis Cocker was being interviewed in one of the videos. It would be pretty dope to get something signed from Jarvis Cocker to add to the collection.

This kind of hits all my value propositions. For all of RTs issues I generally like their taste, and if I’m going to pay for a club, giving me a signed LP, a Q and A, and the Volvelle (now that I know what it is…) are all things I dig at least conceptually.

If the curation is way off I can sell and cancel but I’m down for it.

From the website:

LISTEN ... to a lauded, new LP album recording

• exclusive vinyl edition, signed by the LP artist
  • expertly sourced by Rough Trade
  • chosen from across all genres
  • the essential new recording
  • LP identity revealed at unboxing, not before
  • heightened discovery & anticipation
  • a monthly self-gifting treat

So, not "Essentials," but "essential new recording"(s).

I'm usually pretty against any music clubs especially when it's done blindly but this looks extremely interesting and it got me for at least the first month!

The extras like the volvelle and the private q&a with the artist are worth at least a one time experience, i'm just hoping it's not Grimes now 😬

I'm usually pretty against any music clubs especially when it's done blindly but this looks extremely interesting and it got me for at least the first month!

The extras like the volvelle and the private q&a with the artist are worth at least a one time experience, i'm just hoping it's not Grimes now 😬
If it is I'm just gonna yell at her about what a d-bag Elon is.

Or I might ask how you pronounce their kid's name.

But probably the first one.

If it is I'm just gonna yell at her about what a d-bag Elon is.
hey, some people are just into trash people. most of my twenties was basically "which Cure album will this particular goth manic pixie girl inspire me to listen to?"

edit: I don't know what the equivalent of goth manic pixie disasters is for people into dudes, but elon musk does have that "i read ayn rand and have a conversationally condescending voice" edgelord vibe to him

Back