A Poll on VMP Thread Consolidation

How many VMP threads should there be in the Vinyl Clubs forum?

• Five threads - one for each track, one for the store (exclusives, swaps, etc.), one for anthology

Votes: 235 84.8%
  • One thread - all VMP related threads in the clubs forum merged into one

Votes: 42 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The options:
1) Five threads - one each for the three tracks, one for the store (exclusives, swaps, etc.), one for anthology (basically what we have now)
2) One thread - all VMP related threads in the clubs forum merged into one

If people want to chat about VMP, people should chat about VMP. It binds a lot of folks here together, and has shaped many people's collections. A thread title is just a line on a page within a sub-forum, it takes very little effort to scroll past it. As long as VMP doesn't have its own sub-forum - which I don't think they deserve, as it would be a game-changer - the more specific a thread is, the better.

What will happen is in 3 months they will delete the store thread because exclusives will be allowed again in the preorder thread from the people who don’t want to see vmp products. Or it will be Fiona who breaks that cycle.
Exclusives are allowed in the pre order thread already.
Yes, I forget when it was but we had a discussion in the preorder thread that we wouldn’t interfere as long as there wasn’t a huge backlash against those who shared those exclusives in the preorder thread. If it goes well, there may not be a need for the store thread in the future.

To all the people here saying screw VMP etc. I reckon a majority of this sub comes here to check the latest VMP news, it would be silly and arrogant to assume this forum would exist if we didn’t accommodate VMP, myself and many others signed up to keep updated, aswell as enjoy the company of likeminded individuals. If VMP reopen forums, there would be a mass exodus, so support them or watch people run back to get their hit.

5 posts works well for me, that’s what I’m here for.

Last edited:
I just saw this thread, and only because someone mentioned it in a profile post. The only good thing is that the vote is being left open for so long. Everything else about it is bad....

I'm still appalled that there was a vote on this, much less that you're going to force us to deal with this nonsense every 3 months. As long as the discussions are legitimate, and the number of responses for a specific topic warrant a separate thread, I really don't care what the naysayers think. I get why they're unhappy, but they also can't force their unhappiness onto everyone else, much less their 'utopian' vision of the forums. Some of the VMP threads currently swamp the others in terms of both views and replies. Combined, it would be a mess. As has been stated multiple times, ignore the threads you don't like; some will inevitably fade.

The vote is trending pro-multiple threads, but if it ends up going the other way, it will show active and malicious negligence by the moderators against people who were told that all vinyl lovers would be welcome here. If it had all been 1 thread from the start, being forced to wade through, for example, almost 70 pages of Anthology discussion when you're not part of that purchase, is intentionally unwelcoming and stifles discussion of other topics. While the moderators aren't oligarchs, we also shouldn't need Greek-style Democracy for them to make a commonsense decision. Trying to make everyone happy is also making a lot of people unnecessarily angry for having to spend time endlessly (feels like it) discuss and vote on it. I only voted for 5 because "you're the moderators; figure out how many work best" wasn't an option. I don't know that 5 is right because 2, 3, 6, 7 could end up the right answer.

This also opens up a really awful can of worms - how many negative voices on a topic before a non-VMP thread is put up to a public vote? What's your threshold? If the moderators determine that they don't like VMP enough, and it's not something to be discussed here, then just nuke all related threads. Otherwise, let the progression happen naturally and deal with the shifts as they happen.

To all the people here saying screw VMP etc. I reckon a majority of this sub comes here to check the latest VMP news, it would be silly and arrogant to assume this forum would exist if we didn’t accommodate VMP, myself and many others signed up to keep updated, aswell as enjoy the company of likeminded individuals. If VMP reopen forums, there would be a mass exodus, so support them or watch people run back to get their hit.

Judging by the results I'd say, as expected, the people saying screw VMP are in the minority.

Just to be clear, the people who set this forum up have not said they don't want to accommodate any VMP. This poll is just a way of finding out by how much and in what way the community would like to have them included.

Last edited:
I just saw this thread, and only because someone mentioned it in a profile post. The only good thing is that the vote is being left open for so long. Everything else about it is bad....

I'm still appalled that there was a vote on this, much less that you're going to force us to deal with this nonsense every 3 months. As long as the discussions are legitimate, and the number of responses for a specific topic warrant a separate thread, I really don't care what the naysayers think. I get why they're unhappy, but they also can't force their unhappiness onto everyone else, much less their 'utopian' vision of the forums. Some of the VMP threads currently swamp the others in terms of both views and replies. Combined, it would be a mess. As has been stated multiple times, ignore the threads you don't like; some will inevitably fade.

The vote is trending pro-multiple threads, but if it ends up going the other way, it will show active and malicious negligence by the moderators against people who were told that all vinyl lovers would be welcome here. If it had all been 1 thread from the start, being forced to wade through, for example, almost 70 pages of Anthology discussion when you're not part of that purchase, is intentionally unwelcoming and stifles discussion of other topics. While the moderators aren't oligarchs, we also shouldn't need Greek-style Democracy for them to make a commonsense decision. Trying to make everyone happy is also making a lot of people unnecessarily angry for having to spend time endlessly (feels like it) discuss and vote on it. I only voted for 5 because "you're the moderators; figure out how many work best" wasn't an option. I don't know that 5 is right because 2, 3, 6, 7 could end up the right answer.

This also opens up a really awful can of worms - how many negative voices on a topic before a non-VMP thread is put up to a public vote? What's your threshold? If the moderators determine that they don't like VMP enough, and it's not something to be discussed here, then just nuke all related threads. Otherwise, let the progression happen naturally and deal with the shifts as they happen.
All great points, except as a new forum with Admins that would like to understand and put forth the best efforts to continue to make everyone feel at home here we need the members to see where opinions lie. Not in an endless thread that most read from the last comment back, but as a whole. Please don't assume that this is the way things will be decided on this forum, this community came from a community and was financed by that same community, so in our opinion the members deserve a voice. That doesn't mean that when members say "Jump" we say "How High". This is a work in progress, the 9 Admins are doing all of this on a voluntary basis for you, the forum members. We will always listen and take note of any negative comment, but some deserve to be acted on and some we're honestly going to leave for you all to figure out, we are, after all, adults.

I appreciate your time in expressing your thoughts and opinions, but there are a lot of feelings attached to this place at the moment, non of them wrong, so we're trying to offer compromises and understanding at the moment, and ultimately we want things to happen organically around here, not by vote, not by us coming up with black and white rules, but to continue to evolve as a community. In the end, only time will tell, but I can promise that all the Admins only have and will always have the best interests of it's members front and center.

Judging by the results I'd say, as expected, the people saying screw VMP are in the minority.

Just to be clear, the people who set this forum up have not said they don't want to accommodate any VMP. This poll is just a way of finding out by how much and in what way the community would like to them included.
And in case it didn’t show from my other posts in other threads, I’m ok with multiple VMP threads, and I’m still a VMP subscriber. I also like member participation which means I also like polls. So 🤷‍♀️ 😊

You seem to miss the point of this, this forum was born out of the hurt of VMP closing their forum, this isn't VMP forum 2.0, right now VMP in some ways still very dominant on this forum, the goal of this forum is to not a promotional/free press for any company and that is why this is being discussed.

I’m all for however many damn threads people want to start. Eventually they will die and wither and be in the 12th page of the forum where they belong.

One thing that most of us disliked about the previous forum was when people tried to control the conversation or tell us how to feel.

Sure sometimes, threads will need to be combined, but let the people do what the people will.

You seem to miss the point of this, this forum was born out of the hurt of VMP closing their forum, this isn't VMP forum 2.0, right now VMP in some ways still very dominant on this forum, the goal of this forum is to not a promotional/free press for any company and that is why this is being discussed.

Based off the poll results, maybe he’s not the one missing the point?

I like your way of thinking, you should work for VMP :)

Also for the record I want to say that the VMP info thread was always the very worst part of the old forum that attracted the worst behaviour, from me included tbf. I always got much more enjoyment out of the rest of the forum, that was where the good stuff and the good people lived...

@Prettywings I don’t think you could be more wrong. there is a core of us here who came over to maintain our community that was callously destroyed by VMP. I can’t see us leaving regardless of our views on subbing to VMP or not. Lurkers and casual posters may leave and while I’m not encouraging them to do that and would like to have them contribute more, they aren’t the heart of this place.

Last edited:
Also for the record I want to say that the VMP info thread was always the very worst part of the old forum that attracted the worst behaviour, from me included tbf. I always got much more enjoyment out of the rest of the forum that was where the good stuff and the good people lived...

@Prettywings I don’t think you could be more wrong. there is a core of us here who came over to maintain our community that was callously destroyed by VMP. I can’t see us leaving regardless of our views on subbing to VMP or not. Lurkers and casual posters may leave and while I’m not encouraging them to do that and would like to have the contribute more they aren’t the heart of this place.

Just to be clear, I have nothing against the core, it’s admirable the work you guys put in and keep the community going. I’ve enjoyed reading and getting to know these individuals, like yourself. But I would only be here to enjoy that and participate if VMP was still supported, as I have other sources for general chat about music. That’s just me personally.

i feel that one thread would become too much of a clusterfuck in the end

Which is exactly how the VMP forum ended, so in honour of flying that clusterfuck flag, I vote one thread.

84% - 5 threads v 16% - 1 thread

Is there a function that allows us to ignore threads other than our own ability to ignore stuff?

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I have nothing against the core, it’s admirable the work you guys put in and keep the community going. I’ve enjoyed reading and getting to know these individuals, like yourself. But I would only be here to enjoy that and participate if VMP was still supported, as I have other sources for general chat about music. That’s just me personally.

And that’s fair enough! But I suppose i see this forum as a home for our community rather than an unofficial replacement VMP forum. I don’t think that their actions towards this Community deserve that. In all honesty I’m seriously ok with 3 threads (screw the elitist Anthology). Their exclusives are just Newbury style colour presses of standard masters and they drop max 5ish a week, they won’t crash the pre order thread and as we are no longer a sales tool for VMP we don’t need to carry on with their dislike of swap talk in the individual track threads, it is actually where it belongs.

I do think that we needed this discussion/vote though, there are currently 5 main VMP threads on the clubs forum. There is also a “vote your favourite” which would unchecked doubtlessly repeat monthly and it’s only so long before unofficial guess threads start being set up. We have to give a space for other clubs to be visible and also their threads to be findable and not swamped.

And that’s fair enough! But I suppose i see this forum as a home for our community rather than an unofficial replacement VMP forum. I don’t think that their actions towards this Community deserve that. In all honesty I’m seriously ok with 3 threads (screw the elitist Anthology). Their exclusives are just Newbury style colour presses of standard masters and they drop max 5ish a week, they won’t crash the pre order thread and as we are no longer a sales tool for VMP we don’t need to carry on with their dislike of swap talk in the individual track threads, it is actually where it belongs.

I do think that we needed this discussion/vote though, there are currently 5 main VMP threads on the clubs forum. There is also a “vote your favourite” which would unchecked doubtlessly repeat monthly and it’s only so long before unofficial guess threads start being set up. We have to give a space for other clubs to be visible and also their threads to be findable and not swamped.

We are not a VMP clone nor do we wish to become one. We want to be a music and vinyl forum that has some VMP threads. We are not anti VMP but we are our own thing. If that's not what some people are looking for then fair enough.

Even if we wanted to be an unofficial VMP forum, that would have no sustainability. The old place had churn because as people left the club and forum new people joined. We don't have a company behind us driving new membership. Over time this place would just die. If people come for the community and the general music chat then this forum has a better and longer future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back