80's / Eighties

Some of the early OMD stuff is more along the lines of Kraftwerk. They had a more commercial period in the 80's, and now they've kind of gone back a bit more to the experimental side with their more recent comeback efforts that @Kris mentioned.

OMD is an eighties band that I only got into a few years ago. I think all I knew was "If You Leave", "Tesla Girls" and "Sailing on the Seven Seas". They really have been a consistent band with only a few album duds. I think their last two albums "English Electric" and "The Punishment of Luxury" are really good.

Their album "Dazzle Ships" was a dud on release. It was the dreaded "ahead of it's time". It was a concept album on the role of technology in our lives. The cover alluded to the British Navy's method of painting their ships in patterns to camouflage them. The artwork of "Dazzle Ships" was done by Peter Saville, most famous for designing New Order's album Artwork.

Radiohead was definitely inspired by "Dazzle Ships". There's even a song on "OK Computer" called "Fitter Happier" that pays homage to "Genetic Engineering.

I've heard "Dazzle Ships" called the "Kid A" of the 80s. I think it was in this article listed below.

If you want to read more, Pop Matter's wrote up a really good piece on "Dazzle Ships" a few years ago.

Also, the half speed remasters from a couple years ago are really nice.

That’s really cool! I love OMD. Had no idea Radiohead was that influenced by them. Their first five albums are some of my favorite 80s albums. There is just something about their sound, it brings back all those feelings growing up as a kid back then. So floaty, melancholy and dark...I love it. My 3 year old cries every time Souvenir plays. Haha, poor little guy, says “Souvenir makes me sad.”

OMD is an eighties band that I only got into a few years ago. I think all I knew was "If You Leave", "Tesla Girls" and "Sailing on the Seven Seas". They really have been a consistent band with only a few album duds. I think their last two albums "English Electric" and "The Punishment of Luxury" are really good.

Their album "Dazzle Ships" was a dud on release. It was the dreaded "ahead of it's time". It was a concept album on the role of technology in our lives. The cover alluded to the British Navy's method of painting their ships in patterns to camouflage them. The artwork of "Dazzle Ships" was done by Peter Saville, most famous for designing New Order's album Artwork.

Radiohead was definitely inspired by "Dazzle Ships". There's even a song on "OK Computer" called "Fitter Happier" that pays homage to "Genetic Engineering.

I've heard "Dazzle Ships" called the "Kid A" of the 80s. I think it was in this article listed below.

If you want to read more, Pop Matter's wrote up a really good piece on "Dazzle Ships" a few years ago.

Also, the half speed remasters from a couple years ago are really nice.

That record should be in every record collection for the die-cut cover / artwork alone ;)

Such a great opening verse to this song...so much said in so few words.

Belligerent ghouls
Run Manchester schools
Spineless swines
Cemented minds

For some reason to do with the weird way that I am, I manage to reference this music video fairly regularly in my life. But literally nobody ever gets it. I'm all, "you know, that video with Chevy Chase? .. You can call me Al?" And I get blank stares. It's sad.
My kids LOVE this song and video ages 6 and 1.5. I usually hum it when we are playing but they enjoy listening to it in the car and watching the video at the house.

For some reason to do with the weird way that I am, I manage to reference this music video fairly regularly in my life. But literally nobody ever gets it. I'm all, "you know, that video with Chevy Chase? .. You can call me Al?" And I get blank stares. It's sad.

It's really quite simple. Those people should no longer be in your life.

Back