80's / Eighties

I think I mentioned The Judy's in the 80s thread on the old site, but they were a Texas band that some of my big sister's friends turned me onto when I went to visit her at UT in the late 80s/early 90s. I think the band had already split by the time I learned about them, but, at the time, I thought they were a local Austin band. And I thought this was the kind of stuff college kids were listening to at that time. I had A LOT to learn.

Anyway, I think they were all listening to the "The Moo Album" on cassette during that visit. The songs were twitchy in sound...kind of a punk-ish/New Wave take on Buddy Holly, but the lyrics were clever and silly. It was years later when I learned that they had an earlier album called "Washarama" that was even more biting. The vocals are maybe a little too grating for some, particularly the liberal use of the Buddy Holly hiccup effect throughout. Still, I have a soft spot for this band. I think 'Her Wave' is a really great song to listen to when Summer rolls around, and, well, 'Guyana Punch' is a wickedly fun tune about a dark subject matter.

I know 'Missing You' is the big John Waite song, but I always liked this one too. Didn't know until today that Olivia Newton‐John is credited as the songwriter.

I don't know how this even came about tonight, but we were talking about fads and what not of the 80's and started talking about boom-boxes. I still remember the one I had, and yes, it went everywhere with me, lol. For those of you who were part of my era, did you have a BB? Do you remember what it was?

I had this bad boy :)
1595650583767.png

I don't know how this even came about tonight, but we were talking about fads and what not of the 80's and started talking about boom-boxes. I still remember the one I had, and yes, it went everywhere with me, lol. For those of you who were part of my era, did you have a BB? Do you remember what it was?

I had this bad boy :)
View attachment 58293

I had a couple of them. I got one for Christmas in the late 80s that was a monster. I can't remember what brand, but it had detachable speakers, equalizer, double cassette decks...the works.

Always weirds me out (in a good way) when a song I haven't heard or even thought about in decades pops into my head. Today it was this 80's glam rock tune from the "American Anthem" soundtrack. Seriously, Andy, your T.Rex is showing...

• Love
Reactions: DK3
Duran Duran.... I guess it's a good thing other people know my safety word is "Kim Wilde"? I think that's how it's supposed to work.

Damn, The Jam's Dig The New Breed is an amazing live record, especially this cover of Eddie Floyd's Big Bird.

Interesting to compare the version from DTNB to Fire Skill version

Back