4th Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween (2022)

That sounds awesome. Would love to audit that day.

We picked it up pretty randomly back in high school and were utterly floored by it. Really caught us off guard how good it was.

I haven't watched it in years, but it still ranks high on my all-time list. I remember not loving the second one nearly as much, but that's not overly surprising.
The many sequels are... Far from good, lol

It's definitely an all time great. My advisor would show it in class every year and provided a great scene by scene analysis that made it even better to me. Love it.

Yeah, Cube is a legitimate classic and while Meander was solid it's def. not that.

That's a great pick to do a scene by scene analysis of! I actually need to go back and revisit that one since it's been awhile. I can barely get anyone I know these days to even watch a Horror movie let alone get deep on anything which makes this thread a bit more fun this time of the year.

Last edited:
I really liked this one too. Not as good as cube, but had some good twists I didn't see coming.
Same.. I read a few people thinking it was a sort of Purgatory for both her and the Killer where she had to keep going through it until she accepted the loss of her daughter and was finally set free in "Heaven" at the end. I fully believe it was more literal and she was stabbed by the driver who had killed others according to the radio and they were both "abducted" and put in the pipe for some kind of test as we see she likely died/was cloned 3 times in the pipes (running into her past bodies several times) since at the end her ear tat had 4 dots instead of 1. She ultimately overcame her tragic loss and decided she still wanted to live and try to move on which allowed her to pass and be freed on that random alien planet we see at the end. Maybe it's an Adam & Eve kind of thing where the aliens are picking certain humans that pass the test to inhabit the land we see? The ending is the part i'm still very uncertain about but I don't think there's any definitive answer anyways.

Same.. I read a few people thinking it was a sort of Purgatory for both her and the Killer where she had to keep going through it until she accepted the loss of her daughter and was finally set free in "Heaven" at the end. I fully believe it was more literal and she was stabbed by the driver who had killed others according to the radio and they were both "abducted" and put in the pipe for some kind of test as we see she likely died/was cloned 3 times in the pipes (running into her past bodies several times) since at the end her ear tat had 4 dots instead of 1. She ultimately overcame her tragic loss and decided she still wanted to live and try to move on which allowed her to pass and be freed on that random alien planet we see at the end. Maybe it's an Adam & Eve kind of thing where the aliens are picking certain humans that pass the test to inhabit the land we see? The ending is the part i'm still very uncertain about but I don't think there's any definitive answer anyways.
Agree. I thought the same as you.

Ok - lets go!

01. There's Someone Inside Your House (2021)
Rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€
I saved this a bit ago because it looked interesting and the tag line said that it's from the producers of Stranger Things & the Conjuring universe. Unfortunately, this was not good at all and kinda boring for a horror movie. It's a super generic slasher - where a killer with masks terrorizes a town of high school kids.

MV5BYmQ4OTAwNjAtMzBjZS00ZTI3LTk0YTUtMzE1N2I5ZDA5ZGRiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk4OTc3MTY@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
I love this thread every year, thanks @LeeVing for always posting it. We're starting slow this year, but I like seeing what everyone is watching because finding decent horror flicks isn't always easy. I find myself going to older "classics".

That said, we did watch Trilogy of Terror the other night, this movie scared me at a young age, lol. Not so much the first two stories, but the last one "Amelia", ya, weeks of hiding under the covers for 11 year old Anthony, lol

πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
1662518138297.png

Last edited:
MOVIE #3
Halloween (1978)
Screenshot_20220906-224730_Letterboxd.jpg
You don't need me to tell you this is a masterpiece. I'm always in the mood to watch this during the Fall season, but it happens to be required viewing this time to kick off my Michael Myers Marathonβ„’! Excited to dive into the sequels πŸ‘€πŸ”ͺ

Rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

2. Rubber (2010)
Rating: πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€
MV5BZTY2NTY4MzctMWNkYy00NWM4LTliOWQtMWExZDU1ZWQxNTQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_.jpg

I decided to continue this bad movie trend tonight and just jump into this one about a killer tire. I heard of this movie because it's directed by Mr Oizo (who also does the soundtrack along with Gaspard Auge (from Justice). It's a movie about a tire that goes around murdering people but the movie is also very self aware - and doesn't take it self seriously. All the characters in this movie are terrible - and you just find yourself rooting for this tire as if it was in a revenge film. I would say this is more comedy than horror though. Some scenes are hilarious because of how absurd it is.

Last edited:
Looking through the various streaming services - there are a LOT of horror movies out there that I just wouldn't watch...so I'm glad to have this thread to find the good ones...and know what's bad.

I need to find what I'm gonna start with.

#1.

Evil Dead (2013) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

I didn't watch this until just a few years ago. I just don't care for all the remakes/reboots/re-imaginings, that I really didn't want to watch this for a very long time...even when I owned the blu-ray. Once I finally watched it I liked it. As I've watched it more I liked it more.

The unrated version is a bit better IMO, and that's what I watched...then I watched the R-rated w/ commentary.

20220907_024505.jpg

With exactly one month till the new Hellraiser, I'm determined to make it through the final two franchise entries I haven't seen.

While I hesitated to feed this thread a downright negative entry, Hellraiser is a super iconic spooky IPβ€”one that's well-known for the quality taking a significant plunge the longer the Cenobites' disparate saga goes on.

And since suffering is kind of the point, here I am with Hellraiser: Revelations. Number nine of ten, and the first without Doug Bradley as "Pinhead."

Surprising no one, this eleventh-hour excuse to keep the studio's rights ownership alive comes off more like a fan-made film than anything. And yet, I think I still found it more tolerable than #7, Hellraiser: Deader.

As with most Hellraiser entries, this title also features far too little of the series's signature extra-dimensional beings.

Of the many sights the Cenobites have to show you, this is one of the least effectual.

πŸ’€, but only because Deader already fills the half-skull spot.

MV5BZmQ2ZTY0MmYtNjM2Ny00MTIxLWIxNGUtMTlhYWQyYjBhY2IxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Last edited:
#1.

Evil Dead (2013) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

I didn't watch this until just a few years ago. I just don't care for all the remakes/reboots/re-imaginings, that I really didn't want to watch this for a very long time...even when I owned the blu-ray. Once I finally watched it I liked it. As I've watched it more I liked it more.

The unrated version is a bit better IMO, and that's what I watched...then I watched the R-rated w/ commentary.

View attachment 150702

Man I wish I have the unrated version. Saw this in theaters when it was out and grabbed the theatrical blu ray when it released. I love the original Evil Deads but I might even like this version better.

Man I wish I have the unrated version. Saw this in theaters when it was out and grabbed the theatrical blu ray when it released. I love the original Evil Deads but I might even like this version better.

It's under $13 at Amazon right now.

Amazon product ASIN B07HGGBXBG
Not sure if you see it above - my Amazon links are always messed up to me because of ad block.

The 4K release coming at the end of the month looks have both versions, too. Since they use "91 / 97 min" but nothing really states it specifically yet.

COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE (1970)

MV5BYmZmZDhhNjMtMjY5Yy00MTAxLTkzOTktODljZmI1ZWFiYzI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_.jpg

I finally got around to watching this for the first time! It felt very modern for 1970 and Robert Quarry slaughtered the role. He goes from calm and smooth asf to a blood thirsty menacing monster with such ease which is vital for anyone playing a grizzled veteran Vampire imo. I gotta say he's up there as one of the better Vampire characters for me so i'm really looking forward to checking out the sequel since I couldn't stay awake long enough to make it a double feature which I initially planned. Also, something that can always help win me over in any movie is great atmosphere and this movie nails it throughout and has a great, creepy vibe without seeming overly cheesy. There's still a little cheese though which is always fine like a girl that gets bit by Mr. Count Yorga and loses quite a bit of blood so a Dr. tells her it is VITAL to eat as much steak as possible over the next few days and the rarer the better to get her back in good health :D .

πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ¦·

3 skulls and a tooth! I feel like this one will grow on me with future watches though especially if the second is nearly as good as the first!

Day 7.

Resurrection πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Excellent cerebral horror. Rebecca Hall and Tim Roth are both stellar in their roles. Roth's calm delivery is sinister in it's sincerity. It's a role that would typically be overly charismatic to where the viewer would be clued in by being shown just enough to flatter themselves into thinking they wouldn't fall for the charm. Roth doesn't rely on the fake charm of the narcissist. That's the best I can describe it and the effect is chilling. Rebecca Hall's performance is also perfect. Alternating between a powerful and confident woman, and one reeling with vulnerability from trauma. Her recounting of her past, that we never see but only hear her tell, is pure horror that happens in our heads because it creates the image in our mind that we supply. This is one of the best horror films I've seen in recent years. I can't wait to watch it again. Great cinema here.

images

I've just done a double feature...

MOVIE #4
Halloween II (1981)
Screenshot_20220907-213416_Letterboxd.jpg
Hard to believe I hadn't seen this sooner, especially because I've seen the first one several times, but I guess I just never got around to it. I'm kicking myself for that now, because I found this to be a very enjoyable sequel! It's more of a traditional slasher movie, but I sort of expected that going in, and I had a good time with it. Here's hoping that bodes well for the rest of my marathon!

Rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Day 7.

Excellent cerebral horror. Rebecca Hall and Tim Roth are both stellar in their roles. Roth's calm delivery is sinister in it's sincerity. It's a role that would typically be overly charismatic to where the viewer would be clued in by being shown just enough to flatter themselves into thinking they wouldn't fall for the charm. Roth doesn't rely on the fake charm of the narcissist. That's the best I can describe it and the effect is chilling. Rebecca Hall's performance is also perfect. Alternating between a powerful and confident woman, and one reeling with vulnerability from trauma. Her recounting of her past, that we never see but only hear her tell, is pure horror that happens in our heads because it creates the image in our mind that we supply. This is one of the best horror films I've seen in recent years. I can't wait to watch it again. Great cinema here.

images
Coming to Shudder on Oct. 28, so I'll be catching it then!

MOVIE #5
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
Screenshot_20220907-214319_Letterboxd.jpg
I hate to give this one such a low rating, because I know it's something of a cult classic, but it doesn't do much for me personally. The story is ridiculous and not all that interesting for as strange as it is, which leads to a mostly boring movie with the occasional flash of brilliance. I respect that a lot of people really enjoy this, I'm just not one of them.

Rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€

Day 7.

images

Awesome, love hearing it was that good! I'll be watching it soon for sure as I saw the cast and hoped it would be a must watch without even checking out the trailer. Some really solid looking Horror coming out in the next month.

Back