4th Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween (2022)

I watch so few movies anymore due to lack of available time, or spending said time elsewhere (like spinning records!) that I don't think there's any way I could do 31 between now and the end of October. I don't even know that I have hit 31 movies of ANY genre for the past few years combined. :eek:

That said, I'm enjoying this thread and will keep watching it for ideas of more movies to add to my list of stuff I want to see, but don't watch!

Mostly, I'm hoping I finally get around to watching Halloween Kills sometime over the next few weeks.

Mostly, I'm hoping I finally get around to watching Halloween Kills sometime over the next few weeks.
I've been thinking of doing a marathon of the entire Halloween series leading up to the release of Halloween Ends. As of right now, I've only ever seen the original, Season of the Witch, the Rob Zombie ones, and the 2018 movie.

I've been thinking of doing a marathon of the entire Halloween series leading up to the release of Halloween Ends. As of right now, I've only ever seen the original, Season of the Witch, the Rob Zombie ones, and the 2018 movie.

I was very thrilled by the 2018 movie. I suspect I will be less so by Kills but am happy to be wrong about that. The Rob Zombie movies get a lot of hate, but I quite enjoyed them. Not as much as the original and 2018, but very much as their own thing.

I've been thinking of doing the Halloween marathon this year too. I did the Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the Thirteenth, Children of the Corn, and Child's Play series last year over a few months. So Halloween this year and maybe a couple more, might do Chucky movies again cause I love those.
I was very thrilled by the 2018 movie. I suspect I will be less so by Kills but am happy to be wrong about that. The Rob Zombie movies get a lot of hate, but I quite enjoyed them. Not as much as the original and 2018, but very much as their own thing.
So many people hated Kills, but I thought it was a fun movie and enjoyed the hell out of it. They aren't the kinds of movies you can have any expectations of. They're campy, cheesy, goodness. And people forget that's what makes these classic series so fun.

What Keeps You Alive (2018)

maxresdefault.jpg

I've had this one on my watchlist for years so I finally threw it on last night. It starts out very well with a nice slow burn to learn about the characters with the location and cinematography all being great along the way. Then you get hit with a scene that really starts the ramp up which was also very well done! Then it's a solid movie for a little bit and just falls off the rails imo.. It gets to the point by the end where so many over the top and ridiculous things happen all I could do was shake my head and laugh. It's a shame because there's def. an awesome movie there somewhere it just sadly didn't make it to the second half. I'd call out some of the ridiculousness but they all contain spoilers so i'll refrain.

It also interestingly had the Becca character (Evan's gf in Superbad) which is the first time i've ever seen her in anything else which was a bit weird hearing her say one of the main characters names which was Jules (aka Seth's gf's name from Superbad) so I tried to pretend the movie took place in that same world but it still failed in the end :(.

💀 💀 mostly for the first half.

I've been thinking of doing the Halloween marathon this year too. I did the Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the Thirteenth, Children of the Corn, and Child's Play series last year over a few months. So Halloween this year and maybe a couple more, might do Chucky movies again cause I love those.

So many people hated Kills, but I thought it was a fun movie and enjoyed the hell out of it. They aren't the kinds of movies you can have any expectations of. They're campy, cheesy, goodness. And people forget that's what makes these classic series so fun.

Absolutely! People go a bit over the top with hating sequels to huge Franchises (Including myself for sure sometimes) but personally I went in with low expectations to the newer Halloween movies and they were decent enough where i'll continue to watch them occasionally (Hopefully they finish it off nicely with the third one). I still like the Rob Zombie Halloween's more but those are significantly more hated as well which I never understood but I loved that he went a bit further with the remake and made it his own especially if you go theatrical and avoid the unnecessary rape bs thats in the unrated version. I much prefer that over making a newer pc friendly version of a classic which it seems many are doing recently.

The craziest thing with the Halloween series is how they branch out now.

One year you can watch the original Halloween and then continue with the OG order.
The next you could watch the original then go into the newer trilogy since they made them like nothing existed beyond the original.
Then you can also just watch the 2 Rob Zombie films which are fully in a different reality.

I can honestly say I enjoy every single Halloween movie at least a bit though even with some of them being pure cheese. Same thing with all those other classic series you mentioned.. I will say it was awesome watching most of the Friday The 13th series last year as Joe Bob Briggs episodes which almost made them feel somewhat new again.

Halloween_Kills_poster.jpg

💀💀💀🦴
(The extra 🦴 is for being more enjoyable than I expected)​

Thanks to this thread and today's discussion, I decided to finally buckle down and watch this tonight. Very enjoyable - far more than I expected. Definitely embraces the camp and the "kill shots" in the way that sequels do, and Jamie Lee Curtis continues to be fully awesome. I didn't find it nearly as suspenseful as the original or the 2018 entry, but it was a very entertaining addition to the franchise and has weirdly made me even more excited for Halloween Ends.

Well this plan has come to a halt already. Halloween II doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere ☹️

Well this plan has come to a halt already. Halloween II doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere ☹️
Thought they'd announced almost all the Halloweens for AMC Fear Fest already, but turns out 2 hasn't made an appearance yet. More schedule being announced today though.

Edit:
ReelGood has it on Peacock Premium.

My watches yesterday didn't quite deliver the spooks, so my day 5 entry comes today with The Spell (1977).

[Prime/Tubi]

Remember when primetime movies felt event-worthy? This made-for-TV movie is pretty solid—sharing similar likability with Wes Craven's TV offerings like Season of Fear (aka Stranger in Our House) and Invitation to Hell. Gotta love tight runtimes too.

A bullied teen girl takes matters into her own hands a la Carrie (allegedly) meets The Craft (minus the clique) with the added family dysfunction of Ordinary People (which I just watched yesterday).

Simple but fun!

💀💀💀

The_Spell_1977_Poster.jpg

Day 6.

I had to turn in a multi year review today. It took me about 100 hours to put it together. I had to document and explain everything I've accomplished in the last three years so that they can tell me if I have a good chance of passing my review next year which will determine if I receive a terminal contact or tenure. So I was a bit stressed and as soon as I submitted it at 4PM, I popped on a movie to take my mind off of it.

The Watcher

💀💀💀 This was a very predictable film as it plays on a classic story, with the only additional bit being that it adds the alienation of living in a foreign country where one doesn't speak the language to the mix. Decent performances by the cast with a couple scenes that stood out above the rest. I feel like I liked it more than it was worth because it reminded me of so many classic films I enjoy.

images

Meander (2021)

large_meander-poster.jpeg

This was an awesome surprise! It has some major "Cube" vibes for anyone that has seen those films. The main character wakes up in this strange constrained pipe system after an unclear hitchhiking incident which is full of deadly traps. She has a bracelet that has a timer and no other information whatsoever. That might not be the most original idea since at the core it's been done many times before but this one has A LOT of small nuances they do not spell out at all and fully count on you paying attention and noticing them. I picked up on quite a few and read about some others afterwards which adds quite a bit of context so I could easily see someone hating this film or really enjoying it depending on what they pick up on and how much they are paying attention. I'm not usually the biggest fan of open ended interpretation stories as they feel cheap and lazy much of the time but I never really felt that with this movie and i'm still absolutely digesting it and figuring out wtf happened throughout the movie. Not a classic but def. above average and has some good re-watch ability which i'll likely do at some point.

💀 💀 💀 💀 This might change with more time as I went up half
a skull since I seen it last night after some thought.

If anyone has seen this or see's it in the near future i'd be very interested to hear your thoughts! There's almost a crossroads you can take with the overall movie and ending which is more of a religious route or the non-religious extra terrestrial route which is what I believe it to be personally but read a few interesting takes that go in the other direction.

Meander (2021)

large_meander-poster.jpeg

This was an awesome surprise! It has some major "Cube" vibes for anyone that has seen those films. The main character wakes up in this strange constrained pipe system after an unclear hitchhiking incident which is full of deadly traps. She has a bracelet that has a timer and no other information whatsoever. That might not be the most original idea since at the core it's been done many times before but this one has A LOT of small nuances they do not spell out at all and fully count on you paying attention and noticing them. I picked up on quite a few and read about some others afterwards which adds quite a bit of context so I could easily see someone hating this film or really enjoying it depending on what they pick up on and how much they are paying attention. I'm not usually the biggest fan of open ended interpretation stories as they feel cheap and lazy much of the time but I never really felt that with this movie and i'm still absolutely digesting it and figuring out wtf happened throughout the movie. Not a classic but def. above average and has some good re-watch ability which i'll likely do at some point.

💀 💀 💀 💀 This might change with more time as I went up half
a skull since I seen it last night after some thought.

If anyone has seen this or see's it in the near future i'd be very interested to hear your thoughts! There's almost a crossroads you can take with the overall movie and ending which is more of a religious route or the non-religious extra terrestrial route which is what I believe it to be personally but read a few interesting takes that go in the other direction.
I really liked this one too. Not as good as cube, but had some good twists I didn't see coming.

I hadn't thought of it in a religious way, just the et way. Now I need to rewatch it!

It's definitely an all time great. My advisor would show it in class every year and provided a great scene by scene analysis that made it even better to me. Love it.

That sounds awesome. Would love to audit that day.

We picked it up pretty randomly back in high school and were utterly floored by it. Really caught us off guard how good it was.

I haven't watched it in years, but it still ranks high on my all-time list. I remember not loving the second one nearly as much, but that's not overly surprising.

Back