4th Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween (2022)

MOVIE #68
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
Screenshot_20221030-181811_Letterboxd.jpg
There's been countless adaptations of Dracula over the years, but for me, they almost all pale in comparison to Francis Ford Coppola's visually rich and extravagantly operatic retelling of the story as a violent, dark romance epic. Everything about this movie works for me (yes, even Keanu) and it's definitely one of my personal favorites of all time.

Also, I unknowingly watched this on Winona Ryder's birthday. πŸ₯³

Rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Been hard at work on my costume with movies on in the background and dedicating my evenings to my seasonal watch challenges, so I have a lot of watches to bundle here:
  • Terrified (on Shudder) is a fun supernatural horror out of Argentina. There's far too much going on here and little to no resolution on any of it, but I would totally buy this as a test reel for a procedural TV series of paranormal investigators a la The X-Files.

• Cabinet of Curiosities episodes 1-4: Really glad this anthology collection exists. I particularly enjoyed episodes 1, 3, and 4 so far, and we've got a few of my most anticipated directors to look forward int eh second half.

• IT (the miniseries) was simple but enjoyable. Tim Curry is excellent. Watched this so I could tackle the last HoopTober extra credit viewing of the behind-the-scenes Pennywise documentary which does a great job of selling how invested everyone was on set.

• The Addams Family (2019) was cute. Plenty of easy laughs to be had.

• Resurrection starring Rebecca Hall got added to Shudder this past week, and it's a super tense thriller. Tim Roth is terrifying in a flawlessly understated way.
Currently watching: The Fly (1986) to close out our annual tradition of rewatching our costume inspirations (this one being my partner's).

As teased with my movie review earlier this month, my costume was from Tetsuo: The Iron Man, and the final results are here:

Been hard at work on my costume with movies on in the background and dedicating my evenings to my seasonal watch challenges, so I have a lot of watches to bundle here:
  • Terrified (on Shudder) is a fun supernatural horror out of Argentina. There's far too much going on here and little to no resolution on any of it, but I would totally buy this as a test reel for a procedural TV series of paranormal investigators a la The X-Files.

• Cabinet of Curiosities episodes 1-4: Really glad this anthology collection exists. I particularly enjoyed episodes 1, 3, and 4 so far, and we've got a few of my most anticipated directors to look forward int eh second half.

• IT (the miniseries) was simple but enjoyable. Tim Curry is excellent. Watched this so I could tackle the last HoopTober extra credit viewing of the behind-the-scenes Pennywise documentary which does a great job of selling how invested everyone was on set.

• The Addams Family (2019) was cute. Plenty of easy laughs to be had.

• Resurrection starring Rebecca Hall got added to Shudder this past week, and it's a super tense thriller. Tim Roth is terrifying in a flawlessly understated way.
Currently watching: The Fly (1986) to close out our annual tradition of rewatching our costume inspirations (this one being my partner's).

As teased with my movie review earlier this month, my costume was from Tetsuo: The Iron Man, and the final results are here:

Amazing costume and glad you got to watch Resurrection. It's still one of my favorites of the last couple months.

#55.

Terrifier 2 (2022) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ¦΄

Ugh. I'm giving this an extra half skull for having something of a plot...but it gets no more as this fucking movie is 2 hours and 18 minutes.

The practical effects are great, but again, gratuitous gore has a depreciating value.20221031_070753.jpg

MOVIE #69
Wendell & Wild (2022)
Screenshot_20221031-170531_Letterboxd.jpg
Loved this! I was sold on it the second I heard that Henry Selick was directing a film featuring the voice talents of Key & Peele over a year ago. Now that it's finally out on Netflix, I'm not seeing a lot of people talk about it, which is a shame because it really is a brilliant, imaginative movie with a lot of heart and absolutely incredible stop-motion animation. The only criticism I have is that it almost has too many ideas for its own good, and that sometimes results in the story feeling messy and all over the place, but honestly I was so mesmerized by the world this film created that I was okay with it being a bit overstuffed. I almost wonder if Netflix intends to turn this into a series, because the potential for things to be explored more in depth is definitely there. Either way, I enjoyed it a lot.

Rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ¦΄

MOVIE #69
Wendell & Wild (2022)
View attachment 155891
Loved this! I was sold on it the second I heard that Henry Selick was directing a film featuring the voice talents of Key & Peele over a year ago. Now that it's finally out on Netflix, I'm not seeing a lot of people talk about it, which is a shame because it really is a brilliant, imaginative movie with a lot of heart and absolutely incredible stop-motion animation. The only criticism I have is that it almost has too many ideas for its own good, and that sometimes results in the story feeling messy and all over the place, but honestly I was so mesmerized by the world this film created that I was okay with it being a bit overstuffed. I almost wonder if Netflix intends to turn this into a series, because the potential for things to be explored more in depth is definitely there. Either way, I enjoyed it a lot.

Thanks for the reminder. I was wanting to check this out, but I didn't realize it was on Netflix for some reason.

23. Lake of Dracula (1971)
Rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ¦΄
Didn't like this one as much as Vampire Doll. The setup and the beginning of the movie was good but it trailed off towards the middle and the ending was kinda anticlimactic. Not sure how fair it is to judge this vs the other movie but the only reason why I watched this was I liked the first one.

MV5BMDA1ZTdiZDEtNWIzNS00ODUzLTk2MTgtMmRhNzM4MjFlMzkwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY2MDk0MTk@._V1_.jpg

24. X (2022)
Rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
This was... interesting? Not sure if it was the hype or whatever but I was expecting a bit more from it? I still enjoyed it though. Are you supposed to like Maxine vs Pearl? I thought Pearl's character was kinda sweet... (even though she was also gross and murderous - weird mix. I did not like Maxine's character. Infact... most of the characters were not likeable - except maybe Cudi and Brittany snow (they did a nice cover of Landslide btw). I must say that Mia Goth did a good job with both. I didn't even realize Pearl was her until much later - altho that makes a lot of sense since she's playing Pearl in the sequel?

X_Poster_A24.jpg

I meant to watch 31 this year but that was tough to find time. Gonna keep going in Nov.

We can keep going in this thread if you all want to....I don't mind starting early and ending late.

Thanks for participating this season...looking at past threads, this was our best one yet as far as posts go.

I'm probably going to slow down some as my back log of records is a bit much at the moment. But I do have some horror movies I still want to watch.

20221101_014839.jpg

I watched this yesterday afternoon before I fell asleep.

#56.

Scream (1996) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ¦΄

I watched this again with the Movie Crypt podcast commentary that had editor Patrick Lussier as a guest.

The 4K release that came out last year is very nice...and I was planning to follow up with the new 4K release of Scream 2...but I got tired and went to bed.

20221031_102002.jpg

MOVIE #69
Wendell & Wild (2022)
View attachment 155891

Day 61.

I watched this and agree with everything @gaporter says about it. I'd probably take the bone off my rating on first viewing, but as I typed that I started thinking it deserved it for originality.

Fun 61 days! Thanks for kicking us off again @LeeVing!

So, the spooky season is officially over, but I still have three more I was able to get it under the wire to post.

MOVIE #70
The Wolf Man (1941)
Screenshot_20221031-175846_Letterboxd.jpg
Werewolves ended up being a pretty significant fixture in what I chose to watch this year, so I guess it only makes sense as the season draws to a close that I'd revisit the granddaddy of all werewolf movies, while simultaneously continuing the Universal Monsters series. The Wolf Man is a classic, one that I've seen several times and never get sick of. Larry Talbot is one of horror's most tragic protagonists, played to perfection by Lon Chaney Jr. He's the prototypical cursed victim, a man plagued with an affliction he not only doesn't understand, but has his doubts is even real and not just some extreme form of psychosis. Of course, his worst fears end up becoming a reality, and it all comes together in the saddest conclusion of any Universal Monsters film yet. It's a masterpiece, not just for setting the standard for all werewolf cinema to follow, but as a very well-made drama featuring one of cinema's most iconic lycanthropes.

MOVIE #71
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)
Screenshot_20221101-193836_Letterboxd.jpg
Treating this as an epilogue to my Frankenstein watches, as well as a direct sequel to The Wolf Man. It works decently as a continuation of Larry Talbot's story, but the Frankenstein stuff here leaves much to be desired. That poster up there gives away the only part of the movie that's worthy of the title, which happens in the last five or so minutes. Plus, while they reportedly did Lugosi's performance dirty in the editing room, his take on the monster pales in comparison to Karloff, who you constantly wish was in this role facing off against Lon Chaney Jr.'s Wolf Man instead. Overall, though, it was still a lot fun to watch a Universal Monsters film on Halloween. It had just the right atmosphere to be watched on the holiday, so even if it was one of the weaker ones, I still enjoyed my time with it.

Rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ¦΄

MOVIE #72
Trick 'r Treat (2007)
Screenshot_20221101-194745_Letterboxd.jpg
Ending this season with one I've made it a tradition to watch every year, preferably on the night of Halloween if possible. To me, it's the perfect seasonal staple, it evokes everything fun and awesome about this spooky time of year and I love every second of it. This is one of the few anthologies I've seen where each segment is extremely strong, though it probably helps that the stories are intertwined Pulp Fiction style. One of the best parts of rewatching it is looking for all the connections and cameos. If I had to rank them, it'd probably go brian cox vs. sam, little red riding hood, father-son bonding, school bus
but they really are all enjoyable in their own way. A perfect conclusion to my watches this year. Happy (late) Halloween, friends!

MOVIE #72
Trick 'r Treat (2007)
View attachment 156030
Ending this season with one I've made it a tradition to watch every year, preferably on the night of Halloween if possible. To me, it's the perfect seasonal staple, it evokes everything fun and awesome about this spooky time of year and I love every second of it. This is one of the few anthologies I've seen where each segment is extremely strong, though it probably helps that the stories are intertwined Pulp Fiction style. One of the best parts of rewatching it is looking for all the connections and cameos. If I had to rank them, it'd probably go brian cox vs. sam, little red riding hood, father-son bonding, school bus
but they really are all enjoyable in their own way. A perfect conclusion to my watches this year. Happy (late) Halloween, friends!

Sam was me 2 Halloweens ago!

25. Barbarian (2022)
Rating: πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
I liked this one a lot. Simultaneously funny and disturbing at the same time. I guess it's written and directed by Zack Creggar from the Whitest Kids U Know - and that kinda makes sense to me a bit. I went into it pretty blind (I didn't know Justin Long was in it - and half way i was like oh shoot it's Justin Long!) - and the pacing is great. It's sort of a slow reveal but by midway, I kinda figured out what was going on but I liked that they didn't let AJ redeem himself and he was a terrible person and got what he deserved

MV5BN2M3Y2NhMGYtYjUxOS00M2UwLTlmMGUtYzY4MzFlNjZkYzY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODc0OTEyNDU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Finished up Cabinet of Curiosities season 1. Really hoping there's more to come! Such a great format for sampling various creators with decent curatorial vision by GdT.

Although opinions seem to wildly vary, I think they saved the best entry for last with The Murmuring directed by Jennifer Kent (The Babadook, The Nightingale). Very Shirley Jackson a la The Haunting of Hill House.

The Viewing
by Panos Cosmotos is my second favorite entry. It simply oozes with his signature trippy style that I love (Mandy, Beyond the Black Rainbow).

The two H.P. Lovecraft adaptations (episodes 5 + 6) are my least favorite of the season. Pickman's Model feels super disjointed with its unclear time jumps, and Dreams in the Witch House is (albeit stylish) a complete narrative mess that strays enough f(rom what I understand of the original) to question whether it even qualifies as an adaptation. Really question some of the camera angle and shot choices too.

Episode 1 was the best Eldritch offering of the bunch, adapted from GdT's own original short story. My biggest gripe is that it honestly felt too hasty at the end and should have been a feature-length film. I'm all for original Eldritch/cosmic horrors that eschew perpetuation of Lovecraft's stranglehold on the category (let's please ditch that racist git).

Finished up Cabinet of Curiosities season 1. Really hoping there's more to come! Such a great format for sampling various creators with decent curatorial vision by GdT.

Although opinions seem to wildly vary, I think they saved the best entry for last with The Murmuring directed by Jennifer Kent (The Babadook, The Nightingale). Very Shirley Jackson a la The Haunting of Hill House.

The Viewing
by Panos Cosmotos is my second favorite entry. It simply oozes with his signature trippy style that I love (Mandy, Beyond the Black Rainbow).

The two H.P. Lovecraft adaptations (episodes 5 + 6) are my least favorite of the season. Pickman's Model feels super disjointed with its unclear time jumps, and Dreams in the Witch House is (albeit stylish) a complete narrative mess that strays enough f(rom what I understand of the original) to question whether it even qualifies as an adaptation. Really question some of the camera angle and shot choices too.

Episode 1 was the best Eldritch offering of the bunch, adapted from GdT's own original short story. My biggest gripe is that it honestly felt too hasty at the end and should have been a feature-length film. I'm all for original Eldritch/cosmic horrors that eschew perpetuation of Lovecraft's stranglehold on the category (let's please ditch that racist git).
Also mostly enjoyed this. I feel like what you said about Episode 1, I felt about all of the stories. With exception for a few, most of them feels like they could / should have been fleshed out.
With that said, my favorite was probably Pickman's Model. Enjoyed the vibe and the story telling there - and Crispin Glover!!

Back