3rd Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween (2021)

MOVIE #7
The Howling (1981)
154532.jpg
Probably one of the better werewolf movies out there, boasting impressive special effects and showcasing some great werewolf designs. Being a Joe Dante movie, there's some humor offsetting the more intense parts of the film, but the film has it's fair share of straight faced moments too. The only real criticism I have is that the story goes a bit off the rails towards the end, but then again, there's a bunch of cool werewolves on screen, so the story is allowed to take a backseat to the effects I suppose. Overall, a very well done werewolf movie worth checking out.

Final rating: ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€

MOVIE #4
Malignant (2021)
View attachment 111787
I'm not going to say too much about this movie yet, because I encourage people to go into this blind like I did. It admittedly gets off to a somewhat rough start in the first two acts, but it more than makes up for it in the finale. I highly recommend giving it a chance.

Final rating: ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€
Just saw this last nightโ€ฆ
what. the. fuck.

Itโ€™s $5 movie night tonight at my local theaterโ€ฆ might go see it again.
Donโ€™t want to say much, but itโ€™s a wild/fun ride.

Just saw this last nightโ€ฆ
what. the. fuck.

Itโ€™s $5 movie night tonight at my local theaterโ€ฆ might go see it again.
Donโ€™t want to say much, but itโ€™s a wild/fun ride.
I feel like for me going in blind really impacted my view on it. I wasn't prepared for the third act at all. Now that I've had time to sit with it, I think the movie does definitely have problems (mostly with the editing and maybe the story structure) but my experience watching it was a good one so I'll stick by my four skulls ๐Ÿ˜„

MOVIE #6
Re-Animator (1985)
View attachment 112042
This movie rules. A masterpiece of 80s horror, with amazing special effects, a great cast of memorable characters and a demented sense of humor. It definitely transcends the boundaries of good taste a couple times, but it also takes itself just seriously enough to get you invested in the story and actually care about the characters involved. It's a great film and is certainly deserving of the cult success it has enjoyed. Also - Barbara Crampton ๐Ÿ˜

Final rating: ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€
Never saw this one, but remember them talking about it in American Beauty. Completely forgot about it til now. Going to add it to my list for October!

Also, are Netflix only movies allowed in this thread, or should I stick with movies everyone can have access to?

I don't want to speak for @LeeVing but I don't think there's any rule against Netflix original stuff (or any streaming originals)? If there is, I didn't know at least

Yep...anything is good. I watched a couple movies off of Tubi the other night. And I'm sure some blu rays and DVD's I'll be watching are OOP.

04. Slaughter High (1986) - ๐Ÿ’€ ๐Ÿ’€

I've seen the box art for this one for years...but never got around to watching it until now. It's not that good or unique, but there's a lot of kills.

#5. Let The Right One In (2008) ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€

The perfect vampire movie that really isn't a vampire movie. I also just bought the US remake for some reason, so I'll be watching that version sometime this season. I have a suspicion it isn't going to be near as good.

20210914_180546 (2).jpg

#6. Cooties (2014) ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€

I gave this 2 skulls a couple years ago, but upon more viewings it has grown on me a bit. I still think it should have gone a little more over the top with the gore than it did.

The cast & crew commentary and extras on the blu ray are good, too.

20210914_182154 (2).jpg

I watched these past 3 movies I posted back on Saturday/Sunday night...then had to sleep and work a couple days. I haven't decided what I'm watching tonight yet.

Also, not to derail too much, but does anyone have recommendations of scary books? I usually try to crack a few every October. Frankly, I think most "scary" books are just suspenseful; Stephen King (while great) is emblematic of this.
House of leaves. I love it, I consider it a favorite, and I will never read it again.

Movie 2: Malignant (2021)
s41niqh.jpg

So, just got out of my second viewing an hour ago and Iโ€™ve got to say I enjoyed it even more so the second time around. The movie seemed to flow better, and some things made a lot more sense. I actually think this movie has a great rewatchability factor. But, thatโ€™s about all I want to say to keep from spoiling anything.
โ€I swear the whole reveal is an inside joke thatโ€™s hinted at throughout the entire movie in so many different lines. Loved it. The first time I went in thinking it was going to be another Conjuring/Insidious type flick, so I was so disoriented at points. Going in tonight more in tune to this movieโ€™s vibe kicked it up a notch, honestly. I think this movie has potential to be a cult classic."

A few people in my audience actually clapped when the credits started to roll. Haha, Iโ€™ve rarely experienced that.

Iโ€™m going to give this movie ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€, with the potential to gain a half or full point in the future, as well as five pieces of Candy because you are going to want some tasty treats for this flick.
And because fall and Halloween are coming.

Soโ€”
๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿซ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฌ

Last edited:

So, just got out of my second viewing an hour ago and Iโ€™ve got to say I enjoyed it even more so the second time around. The movie seemed to flow better, and some things made a lot more sense. I actually think this movie has a great rewatchability factor. But, thatโ€™s about all I want to say to keep from spoiling anything.
โ€I swear the whole reveal is an inside joke thatโ€™s hinted at throughout the entire movie in so many different lines. Loved it. The first time I went in thinking it was going to be another Conjuring/Insidious type flick, so I was so disoriented at points. Going in tonight more in tune to this movieโ€™s vibe kicked it up a notch, honestly. I think this movie has potential to be a cult classic."

A few people in my audience actually clapped when the credits started to roll. Haha, Iโ€™ve rarely experienced that.

Iโ€™m going to give this movie ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€, with the potential to gain a half or full point in the future, as well as five pieces of Candy because you are going to want some tasty treats for this flick.

Soโ€”
๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿซ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฌ

I'm gonna try to fit this in in these few days I'm off...on HBO Max.

MOVIE #8
An American Werewolf in London (1981)
R (20).jpeg
The other big werewolf movie of 1981 and also among the finest ever made. This movie is so good that even though you don't actually see the werewolf for a good chunk of the film, everything else is so entertaining that you don't really mind. The acting is great, the story is engaging and the special effects are absolutely phenomenal. Much like the original Wolf Man, a big reason this movie works as well as it does is that it plays into the tragedy of the situation and makes you feel legitimately sorry for the main character who is afflicted with this curse. This poignant drama is blended perfectly with the film's dark comedy to create one of the greatest werewolf movies ever made.

Final rating: ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€

MOVIE #9
Return of the Fly (1959)
R (21).jpeg
This is a perfectly passable yet mediocre sequel to the original Fly. It isn't bad but there's nothing about it that I feel makes it a must-see. The giant-headed version of the fly in this film is pretty cool, though it doesn't get to do to a whole lot in the actual movie. I would say if you need a movie to fill about 80 minutes of your time and you are in the mood for a fairly competent if by the numbers 50's creature feature, you could do a lot worse than this.

Final rating: ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€

#7. Return To Horror High (1987) ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€

Almost too meta for an 80's movie. It's a movie-within-a-movie - so it's suppose to confuse you a bit in that you don't know what your watching. Then there's a spoofiness that just doesn't fit. It's not bad, but not something that I watch regularly.

Known more for being George Clooney's first movie than for the actual movie itself. He's not in it for long, so it's interesting that he gets top billing.

20210915_021031 (2).jpg

s41niqh.jpg

Soโ€”
๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€
๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿซ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฌ

I was so extremely underwhelmed at this movie in the first half that I was contemplating just finishing it another time since I had pretty high expectations for it and about that time it flip turned shit upside down and I had an absolute blast for the rest of it. That's one thing i'll say to anyone watching this is to let it ride out.

Last edited:
a-classic-horror-story-2021.jpg

I finally watched this one last night and had a fun time with it. I highly suggest watching it in Italian with subs as the dub is pretty bad imo. It's a Netflix exclusive which turned me off at first but after a few months I finally gave in and am happy I did! One of the better Horror movies i've seen on there in awhile.

I thought it did a great job of paying homage to some horror classics but then added enough to give it it's own identity by the end. Not a classic by any means but absolutely worth a watch and one i'll eventually revisit again to try and catch things I missed the first time around. It's not afraid to get grimy and dirty either with some very well done cinematography and practical effect which gives off some A24 vibes at times.

A very solid ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€
could very possibly rise another half a skull as well with another viewing I think.

Last edited:
#5. Let The Right One In (2008) ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€

The perfect vampire movie that really isn't a vampire movie. I also just bought the US remake for some reason, so I'll be watching that version sometime this season. I have a suspicion it isn't going to be near as good.

The US remake is actually very well done imo.. I had the same exact attitude as you since that's obviously not the case usually but it's absolutely worth a watch! Still not as good as this one as like you said it's nearly perfect but you could do much worse.

I also just watched Cooties a couple hours ago for the first time in years so I wont make a duplicate post for it and agree with you on that one as well. It grew on me a bit more then my first watch but still had the potential to be so much better if they would have just embraced going over the top instead of almost going in and out of it. It also kind of feels like the middle of the movie is mostly filler to give it a full run time. Loved the cast though for the most part and it's still decent enough I just feel like there's a classic Horror/Comedy there somewhere that never reaches it's potential.

Last edited:
I was so extremely underwhelmed at this movie in the first half that I was contemplating just finishing it another time since I had pretty high expectations for it and about that time it flip turned shit upside down and I had an absolute blast for the rest of it. That's one thing i'll say to anyone watching this is to let it ride out.
Iโ€™m not sure if youโ€™re up for it, but rewatch the whole film at some point with the knowledge you now have. I swear it flows better and is actually a pretty damn well made and fun film given the subject material.

โ€Also, that reveal isnโ€™t as left field as some people make it out to be. Rewatching the film a second time really highlighted this for me. There are so many nods and hints towards it throughout. I mean, how many times do people, including Madison/Emily, say โ€œItโ€™s all in my/your head?โ€ among other phrases? A little tongue and cheek, but it makes repeated viewings worthwhile, in my worthless opinion. "

I honestly would have given it a ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€ or maybe a ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€.5 on my first viewing. I was just confused most of the time, until that third act.

Back