Your week in music (last.fm collages...)

Last week:

LastFmMay.jpg

Breakdown
Not a lot of listening from the past week as I didn't use my turntable for a couple days nor found motivation to listen to much outside of work. I think the recent releases of Caribou is the only era of Dan Snaith's in the cards for me, as I did not find Andorra or The Milk of Human Kindness engaging. Strangely enough, I didn't even find Swim appealing. Perhaps these will require attentive listening away from work responsibilities? The debut of Hayley Willliams's solo project was given a couple of listens and it'll be a grower for me, although I have been finding the album tracks to be ones I've gravitated to more, much like with Sawayama. This prompted a revisit to After Laughter, which I find myself enjoying even more than previously. Beatrice Dillon's Workaround hasn't clicked yet, but perhaps later. Lastly, some dreamy selections on the bottom row.

My week!

Can you tell I'm excited for RTJ4? 😁
View attachment 47347

I love this 3x3 for a few reasons!

1) The seemingly consensus 2020 pop AotY contenders accounted for.
2) Hip-hop and synthpop, with 808s and Heartbreaks being the generational blend of these genres.​
3) Kanye and Taylor being adjacent to each other LOL​

Last edited:
Late getting this up...apologies. Last week:

collage.jpeg

Breakdown
Obviously enamored with the fresh Charli XCX quarantine special. Very pleased to have discovered two albums to relegate to Tier II in my year-end list (Somni - Home, and Jeff Parker - Suite For Max Brown). Of these, Jeff Parker's album wowed me to the degree where I might even consider it for Tier I...first two listens resonated incredibly well. While I respect and commend Caleb Landry Jones for releasing an album making for an irrefutably unique listen, I don't think his style is for me. Regardless, glad I gave it an attempt. I was delighted with Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith's new record; a dazzling listen outside of an unnecessary 30 second interlude. Not often do I hear the worlds of new age and art pop colliding together, but this turned out marvelous...I'm thinking it'll be in my year end list; likely in Tier III. Lastly, I had to shut off the Kehlani record halfway through; not understanding the appeal of this...kinda like a watered-down SZA. All listens are from this year, for once.

Last edited:
So, stupid question, but how exactly does universal scrobbler work? I've heard people say that it scrobbles vinyl spins but how exactly does it go about doing that? And what else does it potentially scrobble?

collage.jpeg

I've just came across this thread and think it's very interesting. I've just used last.fm in the past, but then had forgotten about it as I started more to listen to vinyl. I wasn't aware that it also works for vinyl. I still haven't checked it out, but will try to. Just created a collage with the tapmusic link of records I've listened to this week. I will try to do this weekly, it's also interesting to see what the most played music of others is. 🙂

So, stupid question, but how exactly does universal scrobbler work? I've heard people say that it scrobbles vinyl spins but how exactly does it go about doing that? And what else does it potentially scrobble?

I may be wrong about this as I just had a look at universal scrobbler for the first time. It seems you can use "scrobble from database" and then for instance can use discogs and look for the album or songs you want to scrobble. It works well it seems. You just may need to have a premium account ($0,99 for each month, $4,99 for just once) because daily scrobbles are limited to 20. Using that method you can scrobble from each source, no matter if you hear a song on the radio or tv or in a restaurant.
Others please correct me if there are even more features to universal scrobbler. As far as I see, it doesn't scrobble (from vinyl) unless it's done manually, right?

I may be wrong about this as I just had a look at universal scrobbler for the first time. It seems you can use "scrobble from database" and then for instance can use discogs and look for the album or songs you want to scrobble. It works well it seems. You just may need to have a premium account ($0,99 for each month, $4,99 for just once) because daily scrobbles are limited to 20. Using that method you can scrobble from each source, no matter if you hear a song on the radio or tv or in a restaurant.
Others please correct me if there are even more features to universal scrobbler. As far as I see, it doesn't scrobble (from vinyl) unless it's done manually, right?
Yes, you have to manually enter them. Both work off of database. Vinyl scrobbler uses information from discogs and you build a collection in a very similar manner to how you would use Discogs. If you can’t find an album through it’s contained data base, there is a way to add the url of the cogs listing. When you mark an album scribbled there, the default is that you are just starting the album. It is free but can be unreliable. It also becomes pretty unwieldy if you have a large collection.

universal scrobbler is a little more stable but has other issues. You can either enter manually - enter all data for the track you scrobble or you can use last.fm, Discogs or musicbrainz’s data base. For an artist like the Beatles it can be cumbersome because of all the variations and compilations of stuff. It is limited unless you pay up and for a one time fee of $5, why not unleash its full power. It’s default is that you just finished the record.

@Bohnjaggs uses some app he bought that is similar to cogs and allows him to scrobble directly from the database.

I believe android users can do the same with the Discogs app. iOS does not have that feature currently Nor am I aware of a similar feature on the website.

Last week:

collage (1).jpeg

Breakdown
Back on my Dua shit, now that my deluxe boxset has touched down safely. Feeling lukewarm on the new CRJ, but I'll probably come around in due time. The fresh N&G RotM selection is excellent for my tastes, and I'll be looking to expanding my post-rock horizons. Don't sleep on this cozy, lo-fi Somni record...one of my favorites. Ultimately, I've surrounded my ears with pop girlies, and I'm more than content.

Back