Your Top 3 Classic Rock Albums

Dem fightin' words. Canadian with an American who hung out with them.
Haha. I’d love to claim them as our own (I’m Canadian) but they made what I think is their greatest material (Basement Tapes, Music from Big Pink, Self Titled) in upstate New York. And I always associate them with Americana.

I really hope this does not open up a can of worms and have a bunch of my fellow N&G-ers comin at me!

To clarify: I have hundreds of records that could be classified as “classic rock,” and I cannot imagine distilling that chunk of my collection to a top 3.

I’m also anxious about where to draw the line on the genre: in my mind I’ve classified things like the Velvet Underground, Bowie’s Station to Station, or Roxy Music as “art rock.” I’m not even happy about applying the classic rock tag to something like Steely Dan, a band that has many attributes... but “rocking” is not one of them.

My go-to pick for best American band ever used to be the Talking Heads, but I’m not sure that’s my pick anymore.

To clarify: I have hundreds of records that could be classified as “classic rock,” and I cannot imagine distilling that chunk of my collection to a top 3.

I’m also anxious about where to draw the line on the genre: in my mind I’ve classified things like the Velvet Underground, Bowie’s Station to Station, or Roxy Music as “art rock.” I’m not even happy about applying the classic rock tag to something like Steely Dan, a band that has many attributes... but “rocking” is not one of them.

My go-to pick for best American band ever used to be the Talking Heads, but I’m not sure that’s my pick anymore.
Yeah, this. Feels like we're making a good music 1969-1977 list here rather than pure classic rock. That's not a bad thing though!

I think Classic Rock is a Genre and Art Rock or Folk Rock or Country Rock, etc... are styles that may fall under the Genre heading. Also, Classic Rock is both a musical Genre and a Radio Format which further muddies the issue.

Haha. I’d love to claim them as our own (I’m Canadian) but they made what I think is their greatest material (Basement Tapes, Music from Big Pink, Self Titled) in upstate New York. And I always associate them with Americana.

I really hope this does not open up a can of worms and have a bunch of my fellow N&G-ers comin at me!
This guy gets it.

Nah. That would be Talking Heads, Velvet Underground, or REM.

(Sorry to derail this thread!!)
For the record, REM is my non-cheeky answer. But a few years ago it hit me that my subliminal criteria for “is this good rock & roll?” prominently includes “how much does this sound like The Band?”

Yeah, this. Feels like we're making a good music 1969-1977 list here rather than pure classic rock. That's not a bad thing though!
Im totally fine with that. Lol. My “want” may have been better expressed as “Good music from late 60’s through late 70’s”.

How the hell did I miss all this?? :)

Trying not to duplicate:
  • Beach Boys - Sufs Up
  • Billy Squire - Don't Say No
  • Cheap Trick - Heaven Tonight
  • Foreigner - Foreigner
  • Journey - Infinity
  • Pretenders - Pretenders
  • Rush ‎– Permanent Waves
  • Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams
  • Thin Lizzy - Jail Break
  • Van Halen - Van Halen
  • The Who ‎– Who's Next

How the hell did I miss all this?? :)

Trying not to duplicate:
  • Beach Boys - Sufs Up
  • Billy Squire - Don't Say No
  • Cheap Trick - Heaven Tonight
  • Foreigner - Foreigner
  • Journey - Infinity
  • Pretenders - Pretenders
  • Rush ‎– Permanent Waves
  • Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams
  • Thin Lizzy - Jail Break
  • Van Halen - Van Halen
  • The Who ‎– Who's Next
All added! I’m a big Don’t Say No fan too!

Back