Your Top 3 Classic Rock Albums

I’ll do it. Two are a stretch due to when they were released, but Tom Petty wildflowers and the new reissue is just plain outstanding albeit from 94 so maybe not quite classic. Also, Springsteen Tunnel of Love is criminally good. And it looks like no one has said Bowie Low or Hunky Dory, and both of those, Low if you want a little more out there and Hunky Dory if you want some just plain fun, need to be in a collection.

So there’s not enough Kinks on this list so I’m going to add:

Something Else By The Kinks;
The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society; and
Arthur or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire

I’ll echo Hunky Dory by Bowie and add Scary Monsters.

Last edited:
I’ll do it. Two are a stretch due to when they were released, but Tom Petty wildflowers and the new reissue is just plain outstanding albeit from 94 so maybe not quite classic. Also, Springsteen Tunnel of Love is criminally good. And it looks like no one has said Bowie Low or Hunky Dory, and both of those, Low if you want a little more out there and Hunky Dory if you want some just plain fun, need to be in a collection.
Thanks!!! That's 200! Keep em coming!

So there’s not enough Kinks on this list so I’m going to add:

Something Else By The Kinks;
The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society; and
Arthur or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire

I’ll echo Hunky Dory by Bowie and add Scary Monsters.
Thanks!! Added!!

OK, Since I didn't specify any Pink Floyd albums pre-Animals that are essential, I'll throw in Meddle. I love Ummagumma, but it's live, dunno if it counts?

It’s rock...and it’s classic...

🙌

Because that’s the same thing 🙄

The thoughts of bracketing The Smiths, or Joy Division or any of those great 80s Manchester bands, who all still sound fresh today with some of the dinosaurs on here makes me sad.

"Dinosaurs," "fresh," it's all relative, man.

It is. Ironically I’d have no problem with lumping Aerosmith and Bob Jovi from the same decade in with all the dinosaurs. I suppose I sometimes feel that there’s a veneer of superiority around 60s/70s “classic rock” that seems to elevate even the dregs of it over much better later music. Hence feeling the need for separation.

There was also a huge line in the sand drawn by punk and it really did massively influence the ethos of the alternative music scene that came after it. Things weren’t the same.

Here's a start to 300

Al Stewart The Year Of The Cat
Kansas Point Of Know Return
Bad Company Bad Company
John Lennon Double Fantasy
Warren Zevon Excitable Boy
Foreigner 4
Ace Five A SIde
Status Quo Hello!
REO Speedwagon You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tune A Fish

Last edited:
Back