Your Fave is Problematic

By this time if the Sportskeeda article had merit, a “big” news outlet would have picked it up. There’s something wrong there or it would be a bigger story.

I hope youre right.
From what I read on Reddit (which was admittedly very little), there was some acknowledgement that this accuser has been a presence on Cure fan sites for a long time and has made a series of sometimes changing, sometimes incoherent statements over a long period, which are just now getting picked up because she has found a TikToker willing to amplify her statements. Again, that inconsistent storytelling can be partially explainable by trauma, and apparently there is at least photographic evidence that this person really has spent time with Smith, but those who are dismissing this seem to be doing so on the basis that this person has been an unreliable narrator — notoriously so — for some time.

^ Or at least that’s what 10 minutes of skimming Reddit suggested to me.

Yeah this Lizzo stuff really sucks man. Her positive and fun persona was a huge selling point and to find out how fake that is does feel like a betrayal. The music itself was good but she herself and her charisma is what really made me enjoy it so I really can’t separate the art from the artist here

I’ve been processing the Lizzo story and the thing that sticks out to me at this point is, is it really a shock? Yes, her overall persona and message was positive…. But some of her lyrics show a bit of a vindictive streak and her actual public persona has shown some cattiness here and there.

Edit: Also, the harassment stuff is completely not a shock, her whole thing is hyper sexual.

Last edited:
I’ve been processing the Lizzo story and the thing that sticks out to me at this point is, is it really a shock? Yes, her overall persona and message was positive…. But some of her lyrics show a bit of a vindictive streak and her actual public persona has shown some cattiness here and there.

Edit: Also, the harassment stuff is completely not a shock, her whole thing is hyper sexual.
Not surprising to me. Lizzo was/is body positive and sex positive but also made the mistake in thinking everyone she surrounded herself with was of the same mind. Add in the fact that she runs a business and you’ve now got yourself a toxic Ellen situation.

Not surprising to me. Lizzo was/is body positive and sex positive but also made the mistake in thinking everyone she surrounded herself with was of the same mind. Add in the fact that she runs a business and you’ve now got yourself a toxic Ellen situation.
I’d be lying if there wasn’t a bit of “you went to a strip club with Lizzo and then complained about what happened there?” In my initial reaction to the story. Not to discount/blame the victims… but common sense would tell me the way that’s going to go. What I don’t know is how toxic was the environment that they felt like they had to go?

Reading the allegations initially "Ellen situation" was exactly what I was thinking. It doesn't sound like Lizzo is a great boss, and in an inversion of Ellen's coldness, crossed lines with people who are employees, not friends. But some of the charges (false imprisonment) feel like ginned-up versions of the truth, and one can't help but think they're bitter ex-employees hoping for a payday.
Obligatory empty statement has arrived. Didn’t really address much of anything.

That said, this is a bad statement. This is some DARVO shit; even if she's insisting she's not playing the victim, the whole thrust of the statement is "I don't like how this makes me look/feel." It always stuns me when people think saying "those people are terrible and you shouldn't believe them" comes across better than saying nothing.

The whole thing feels weird; I've had shaky feelings about Lizzo for a while, much like what Lee's describing. Some of the positivity has felt false, and it's especially felt like her shift to the mainstream coincided with her pivot towards positivity in a way that felt mercenary. But because her overall impact has been positive, I've never wanted to yuck anyone's yum.

It doesn't sound like Lizzo is a great boss, and in an inversion of Ellen's coldness, crossed lines with people who are employees, not friends.
Spot on. We’re beginning to see people that are famous and good performers/artists being held accountable for the fact that they’re not good managers of people and/or possess adequate business acumen.

Back