You Want How Much?!

stpaulbrowns

I'm sure you don't have to be reminded that there are some crazy vinyl prices out there. A quick search on eBay, Craigslist, Discogs, etc. can unearth some ridiculous price points. I'll never be able to afford them, but it's always entertaining to peer through the sales window and do a little slack-jawing.

So, what are some of the off-the-chart prices you're seeing for a single album, box set or collection?

This one takes the cake. I see this all the time now when I’m doing casual eBay searches for jazz albums.

I did see a listing for just the cover of a prestige record last night for $50. The cover was listed as being “deep groove” which I thought was pretty funny…
If you're selling this album - and you're expecting $250,000 - eBay is not where you want to be.

I think context is important - is it an established seller who seems to know what the vinyl market and what they have in their hand? Or is it someone who inherited a few boxes outta the attic?

I remember seeing a seller on ebay who I watched a few of their listings simply cause I wanted to see if anyone would bite.

They had a beat up copy of Hendrix Rainbow Bridge for like $500 or $600 and a slightly better copy of Purple Rain for around the same price. It did look to be an OG copy. But I got my OG Japan copy of PR for sub $100 a couple years ago.

I think people who know nothing about records see big names and/or big albums and that it's old and think that rockets the prices. But they don't keep in mind that these big albums sold tens of thousands of copies that are still around.

But this was def an inexperienced seller. They had no feedback. They didn't grade the albums. They got some records, saw some names, and WAG'd a price.

I think context is important - is it an established seller who seems to know what the vinyl market and what they have in their hand? Or is it someone who inherited a few boxes outta the attic?

I remember seeing a seller on ebay who I watched a few of their listings simply cause I wanted to see if anyone would bite.

They had a beat up copy of Hendrix Rainbow Bridge for like $500 or $600 and a slightly better copy of Purple Rain for around the same price. It did look to be an OG copy. But I got my OG Japan copy of PR for sub $100 a couple years ago.

I think people who know nothing about records see big names and/or big albums and that it's old and think that rockets the prices. But they don't keep in mind that these big albums sold tens of thousands of copies that are still around.

But this was def an inexperienced seller. They had no feedback. They didn't grade the albums. They got some records, saw some names, and WAG'd a price.
Good points about context. I guess for the purpose of this thread it could be either. I'm always fascinated by some of these asks.

So, we can either stand in awe of some incredibly rare offering or have a good laugh at a wide-eyed seller's expense. 🤷🏻‍♂️

View attachment 127177

First time I've seen this. Obi only (no vinyl, no cover) for a mere $30 buy now!
Worth it! (kidding)

OJCs in general have gotten so pricey. I really regret listening to people over at Hoffman...about 10 years ago, everyone said don't buy 80s MoFis and don't buy OJCs...regret both of those decisions. I saw so many OJCs for under $10 of classic albums that I passed on because aI thought they were crap.

Have you ever listened to a white hot stamper? I'm just curious about how they sound. Some of those are "Music Matters" prices - so not too outrageous.
I have not lol. Tbf there are some cheaper ones on the site that I’d be interested to see how they sound. But I have an average TT setup so I don’t know if I’d hear anything different. Those are made for people with separate listening rooms with $5000 turntables and ridiculous freestanding isolated speakers. Maybe then you can see and hear a difference. I think it’s crazy prices for old records you can get for like $5 normally. Nice clean copies would be more than $5, but still.

Back