You know you're too deep into vinyl if...

...if you scramble out on a Sunday night to the last open record store in town to buy another copy of a Tone Poet you already own because you fumbled your first copy, lightly scratched it, and needed to have a pristine copy. o_O
I mean did you play test it first?

Yeah. There was a slightly audible tick as the stylus crossed the scratch. I have a ton of records with a similar defect that does not really bother me. It really bothered me on my new Tone Poet album. Audiophile OCD, I guess.
I mean an audiophile disc with an audible tick is actually a problem.

My mailman hates my LPs.

One day, he stood one up in the hinge between the mailbox door and the box’s barrel just so he would not have to come to the door and deliver another flat carrier to the porch. It ended up falling out onto the curb.

His supervisor and I had an interesting call the next day…

...you have a personal first-name basis relationship with your mailman, he has your phone number and he calls you to ask if you want him to leave large packages by the door or take them back to the post-office when you're not home.

(Seriously, I know my mailman, but it's a slightly longer story than record collecting. Our daughters were in a sports team together for several years so he knew who the records are for and he takes special care for me).

Back