YEAR END MEGALIST 2022!!!!

The dumb part of this hobby is that I moved into crate digging and thirft store purchases this year so the "new buys" and time to spin and get into them went down a ton. I'm just gonna do 10/10 of 10 of my 2022 favorites and apologize to all the great albums I missed.

All ten points

Black Country, New Road - Ants from Up There - I didn't really get the BCNR hype when they first came out, but this one hit my like a ton of bricks - reminded me a lot of prime Arcade Fire but with their own stylistic and viewpoint twists.

Francisca Valenzuela - Vida Tan Bonita - I don't understand many of any words on this album but I think I saw this album on a Time mid-year best of list (or another main publication) and gave it a run, it's exceptionally produced and sounding pop.

Angel Olsen - Big TIme - Similar to BCNR, I never really get into Angel Olsen releases but this country-tinged turn is a real treat with a ton of consistency and some truly great songs to kick off the album

Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loneliest Time - I'm a tiny bit surprised this hasn't gotten more love in the larger critical sphere. As an Emotion stan and someone who liked but didn't love Dedicated, this felt like a real bounceback to me with some adventurousness in scattered tracks and her rock solid pop sensibilities in the rest.

Molly Tuttle - Crooked Tree - This one was a recommendation of folks here and I became increasingly obsessed. I think the only year end list I saw this one hit was Grady Smith's honorable mentions on his country albums and, I dunno, it's a slew of talented folks doing very high end bluegrass in a modern sensibility. I think people will look back on this one fondly.

Harry Styles - Harry's House - The pop landscape in 2022 is interesting because there is, truly, so much that is just mindless and wasteful. Harry Styles could make a ton of cash just doing that. I am not sure if this was as strong as Fine Line was but there's a very brave sensitivity and openness in this album that really rewards additional listens and diving into it. I wish my "band stars gone solo" as a teen were as good as Harry is.

Ali McGuirk - Til It's Gone - I've put her name out there a few times and I'll continue to be a pain in the ass on her. This was her new album and has my favorite opening ten seconds of the year on X Boyfriends - just a bombastic introduction with a wailing note as she settles into that blues and soul inspired vocal she has made a name for in New England for years. She brought in some great session musicians for this one and it shows.

Florence and the Machine - Dance Fever - It's FatM but I think it's her best in a long time. She pulled out of what was a bit too much of an introspective downer vibe that served her so well and sold us some of those refined, somewhat upbeat but still grounded monster songs she does best.

Regina Spektor - Home, before and after - Welcome back Regina, I missed ya, and this is a rock solid album through and through. I wish it got some more love through the year.

First Aid Kit - Palomino - It's a bit of a theme with some others, but I thought FAK might have lost some of that magic that made me love them, but this is a return to my preferred form and just a sonic treat of harmonies and well constructed music.

An honest list would probably be like 30-40 deep but 10x10 is what I have attention for today.

The dumb part of this hobby is that I moved into crate digging and thirft store purchases this year so the "new buys" and time to spin and get into them went down a ton. I'm just gonna do 10/10 of 10 of my 2022 favorites and apologize to all the great albums I missed.

All ten points

Black Country, New Road - Ants from Up There - I didn't really get the BCNR hype when they first came out, but this one hit my like a ton of bricks - reminded me a lot of prime Arcade Fire but with their own stylistic and viewpoint twists.

Francisca Valenzuela - Vida Tan Bonita - I don't understand many of any words on this album but I think I saw this album on a Time mid-year best of list (or another main publication) and gave it a run, it's exceptionally produced and sounding pop.

Angel Olsen - Big TIme - Similar to BCNR, I never really get into Angel Olsen releases but this country-tinged turn is a real treat with a ton of consistency and some truly great songs to kick off the album

Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loneliest Time - I'm a tiny bit surprised this hasn't gotten more love in the larger critical sphere. As an Emotion stan and someone who liked but didn't love Dedicated, this felt like a real bounceback to me with some adventurousness in scattered tracks and her rock solid pop sensibilities in the rest.

Molly Tuttle - Crooked Tree - This one was a recommendation of folks here and I became increasingly obsessed. I think the only year end list I saw this one hit was Grady Smith's honorable mentions on his country albums and, I dunno, it's a slew of talented folks doing very high end bluegrass in a modern sensibility. I think people will look back on this one fondly.

Harry Styles - Harry's House - The pop landscape in 2022 is interesting because there is, truly, so much that is just mindless and wasteful. Harry Styles could make a ton of cash just doing that. I am not sure if this was as strong as Fine Line was but there's a very brave sensitivity and openness in this album that really rewards additional listens and diving into it. I wish my "band stars gone solo" as a teen were as good as Harry is.

Ali McGuirk - Til It's Gone - I've put her name out there a few times and I'll continue to be a pain in the ass on her. This was her new album and has my favorite opening ten seconds of the year on X Boyfriends - just a bombastic introduction with a wailing note as she settles into that blues and soul inspired vocal she has made a name for in New England for years. She brought in some great session musicians for this one and it shows.

Florence and the Machine - Dance Fever - It's FatM but I think it's her best in a long time. She pulled out of what was a bit too much of an introspective downer vibe that served her so well and sold us some of those refined, somewhat upbeat but still grounded monster songs she does best.

Regina Spektor - Home, before and after - Welcome back Regina, I missed ya, and this is a rock solid album through and through. I wish it got some more love through the year.

First Aid Kit - Palomino - It's a bit of a theme with some others, but I thought FAK might have lost some of that magic that made me love them, but this is a return to my preferred form and just a sonic treat of harmonies and well constructed music.

An honest list would probably be like 30-40 deep but 10x10 is what I have attention for today.
I feel your pain. I've learned the hard way that crate digging/thrift store purchasing/garage and estate sale chasing require dedication and thus lots of time if they're going to pay off, and that has become more true, with less payoff, with each passing year. Also can result in bringing home lots of records, at least some (read that 'many') of which seem like a great idea at the time, but eventually are nothing more than space-takers. I suppose if you are good at re-selling, there's more of a reward, so I'm just reacting to your general sentiment that there's a cost associated with the crate-digging bug. Pandemic shut-downs helped me begin the process of weaning myself, but I still have the itch (though I did pass on an estate sale last week that advertised "100s of records").

1 Point Each
Panda Bear/Sonic Boom - "Reset"
The Black Angels - "Wilderness of Mirrors"
Weyes Blood - "And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow"
Adrian Quesada - "Boleros Psicodelicos"
Jack White - "Entering Heaven Alive"

2 Points Each
Big Thief - "Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You”
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Cool It Down"
First Aid Kit - "Palomino"
Charley Crockett - "The Man From Waco"
The Sadies - "Colder Streams"

3 Points Each
Phoenix - "Alpha Zulu"
The Afghan Whigs - "How Do You Burn?"
Metric - "Formentera"
Foals - "Life Is Yours"
Alvvays - "Blue Rev"

4 Points Each
Good Looks - "Bummer Year"
Wet Leg - "Wet Leg"
Spiritualized - "Everything Was Beautiful"
Nikki Lane - "Denim & Diamonds"
Blushing - "Possessions"

10 Points Each
Santigold - "Spirituals"
Buffalo Hunt - "Ambitions Of Ambiguity"
Harry Styles - "Harry's House"
Plains - "I Walked With You A Ways"
Spoon - "Lucifer On The Sofa"

Just missing the cut for my top 25 albums: Mitski - “Laurel Hell”; Carson McHone - “Still Life”; Kevin Morby - “This Is A Photograph”; Angel Olsen - “Big Time”; Sharon Van Etten - “We’ve Been Going About This All Wrong”; and Beach House - “Once Twice Melody”.

And here is a Spotify playlist with a nice sampling of my favorite tracks from these albums and more.

@Rip_City

Last edited:
Here´s my ranked list with the assigned points in brackets. Many usual suspects on here, but I would like to highlight Mystic Jungle as I didn´t see them on any year end list. They´re from Naples and if you´re into electronic funk/disco, you might want to check out their album. The vinyl for Deviant Disco sounds great as well.

Rosalía – Motomami (18)
Nilüfer Yanya - PAINLESS (16)

Animal Collective – Time Skiffs (12)
Destroyer – Labyrinthitis (11)

Jockstrap - I Love You, Jennifer B (9)
Mystic Jungle – Deviant Disco (9)

Amber Mark – Three Dimensions Deep (5)
Obongjayar – Sometimes I Dream of Doors (5)
Lucrecia Dalt – Ay! (5)
The Weeknd – Dawn FM (5)
Kokoroko – We Could Be More (5)

Last edited:
1. 20 pts - In These Times - Makaya McCraven
2. 15 pts - Saudade - Plinio Fernandes
3. 10 pts - Hell on Chruch Street - Punch Brothers
4. 10 pts - Sticking With It - The Dip
5. 10 pts - Age of Apathy - Aoife O'Donovan
6. 10 Pts - Sage Motel - Monophonics
7. 10 Pts - Revealer - Madison Cunningham
8. 5 pts - Lys - Mari Samuelsen
9. 5 pts - Inside Problems - Andrew Bird
10. 5 pts - Dawn FM - The Weekend

I bet those are the only points Fernandes gets, but you all need to check it out, especially if you dig classical

Curious to see if Samuelsen is on anyone else's list. I have yet to peruse the thread.

1. 20 pts - In These Times - Makaya McCraven
2. 15 pts - Saudade - Plinio Fernandes
3. 10 pts - Hell on Chruch Street - Punch Brothers
4. 10 pts - Sticking With It - The Dip
5. 10 pts - Age of Apathy - Aoife O'Donovan
6. 10 Pts - Sage Motel - Monophonics
7. 10 Pts - Revealer - Madison Cunningham
8. 5 pts - Lys - Mari Samuelsen
9. 5 pts - Inside Problems - Andrew Bird
10. 5 pts - Dawn FM - The Weekend

I bet those are the only points Fernandes gets, but you all need to check it out, especially if you dig classical

Curious to see if Samuelsen is on anyone else's list. I have yet to peruse the thread.
Clearly, I should read instructions: @Rip_City

The new Little Simz is steller. As usual. Grey Area and Sometimes are both top 5 of their respective years for me. This one splits the difference nicely in regards to GA's gritty electronics + samples / overall catchiness and Sometimes' lush orchestral / soul.

My head says this is gonna be a favorite for years but my heart doesn't want me to put it in my top 10 in a year where so many albums have been in heavy rotation all year.

Either way, I'm both grateful for an era with so many rappers who manage to trailblaze while staying consistent. And am sort of shocked at the relative crickets surrounding the release.
I need to check the Little Simz out, it's the only thing I regret not listening to before I made my list, but I don't think I could fully absorb it for a list this year anyhow.

1. Say She She - Prism (20)
  2. The Weeknd - Dawn FM (20)
  3. Taylor Swift - Midnights (20)
  4. Thee Sacred Souls - Thee Sacred Souls (15)
  5. Kendra Morris - Nine Lives (10)
  6. Harry Styles - Harry's House (5)
  7. Monophonics - Sage Motel (5)
  8. Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers (5)
There are way too many albums I've heard great things about that I just haven't bothered to check out yet (Denzel Curry, JID, Rina Sawayama, CRJ) or ones that I haven't listened to more than once yet (Beyoncé). I really need to fix that...
What’s up Colemine!!! Kendra and Sacred Souls almost made mine and I haven’t spent as much time with Say She She as I would like.

I should always just give Angel Olsen the benefit of the doubt.

I put off listening to her new album because I can count the # of country albums I like on one finger (Golden Hour)...

This album is incredible. And like Golden Hour, it's barely country.
I don’t think Golden Hour is country at all. Big Time is definitely country.

All ten points

Flo and Tuttle are honorable mentions/near misses for me

@Rip_City

20 - Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There
20 - Alvvays - Blue Rev

10 - Gang of Youths - Angel In Realtime
10 - Denzel Curry - Melt My Eyez, See Your Future
10 - Taylor Swift - Midnights
10 - Beyonce - Renaissance

5 - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava
5 - Weyes Blood - And In The Darkness Hearts Aglow
5 - Fontaines D.C. - Skinty Fia
5 - Jockstrap - I Love You Jennifer B

Last edited:
1. The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention 20 points
2. Taylor Swift - Midnights 18 points
3. Arctic Monkeys - The Car 15 points
4. Nilüfer Yanya - Painless 12 points
5. Mitski - Laurel Hell 10 points
6. Angel Olsen - Big Time 8 points
7. Julia Jacklin - Pre Pleasure 5 points
8. Telefís - a hAon 4 points
9. Anna Mieke - Theatre 3 points
10. Jessie Buckley & Bernard Butler - For All Our Days That Tear The Heart 2 points

11. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Cool It Down 2 points
12. Liam Gallagher - C’mon You Know 1 point

Top 15 Outside The Points

13. Telefís - a Dó
14. Fontaines D.C. Skinty Fia
15. Bloc Party Alpha Games

1. The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention 20 points
2. Taylor Swift - Midnights 18 points
3. Arctic Monkeys - The Car 15 points
4. Nilüfer Yanya - Painless 12 points
5. Mitski - Laurel Hell 10 points
6. Angel Olsen - Big Time 8 points
7. Julia Jacklin - Pre Pleasure 5 points
8. Telefís - a hAon 4 points
9. Anna Mieke - Theatre 3 points
10. Jessie Buckley & Bernard Butler - For All Our Days That Tear The Heart 2 points

11. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Cool It Down 2 points
12. Liam Gallagher - C’mon You Know 1 point

Top 15 Outside The Points

13. Telefís - a Dó
14. Fontaines D.C. Skinty Fia
15. Bloc Party Alpha Games
Love that Jessie Buckley/Bernard Butler album

My own distribution, awarding my top10:

(20) Jenny Hval - Classic Objects

(15) Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There
(15) King Hannah - I'm Not Sorry, I Was Just Being Me

(10) Silvana Estrada - Marchita
(10) Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter
(10) Amber Mark - Three Dimensions Deep

(5) Billy Woods - Aethiopes
(5) Zola Jesus - Arkhon
(5) Jeremiah Chiu & Marta Sofia Honer - Recordings from the Åland Islands
(5) Björk - Fossora

Overall personal list on the Best Music 🎶 of 2022! thread:

At long last, I have settled on a chart that I am content with.

Pretty solid year of music. No surprise that women/art pop comprise a large portion of the chart. Seen a fair number of these live, with a few I look forward to seeing next year.

View attachment 162037

Tier I [Excellent]

1) Jenny Hval - Classic Objects [art pop, ambient pop]
2) Black Country, New Road - Ants From up There [post-rock, art rock]
3) King Hannah - I'm Not Sorry, I Was Just Being Me [Americana, trip hop, indie rock]
4) Silvana Estrada - Marchita [Latin folk, singer/songwriter]
5) Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter [singer/songwriter, post-rock, Americana]
6) Amber Mark - Three Dimensions Deep [contemporary R&B, neo-soul]
7) Billy Woods - Aethiopes [abstract hip hop]
8) Zola Jesus - Arkhon [art pop, darkwave]
9) Jeremiah Chiu & Marta Sofia Honer - Recordings from the Åland Islands [ambient, nature recordings]
10) Björk - Fossora [art pop, post-industrial, electronic]

Tier II [Great]

11) J.I.D. - The Forever Story [conscious hip hop]
12) Beyonce - RENAISSANCE [house, dance pop, contemporary R&B]
13) Hinako Omori - ...a journey [ambient, ambient pop]
14) Plains - I Walked With You a Ways [Americana, country pop]
15) Patricia Wolf - I'll Look For You in Others [ambient, field recordings]
16) Chat Pile - God's Country [sludge metal, post-hardcore]
17) Natalia LaFourcade - De todas las flores [Mexican folk music, singer/songwriter, bossa nova]
18) Hatis Noit - Aura [a cappela, throat singing, art pop]
19) Sudan Archives - Natural Brown Prom Queen [alternative R&B, neo-soul, art pop]
20) Caterina Barbieri - Spirit Exit [progressive electronic, ambient trance]
21) Immolation - Acts of God [death metal]
22) Utada Hikaru - BADモード [J-pop, house, art pop]
23) Kali Malone - Living Torch [drone]
24) Binker & Moses - Feeding the Machine [spiritual jazz, post-bop]
25) Nicolas Craven & Boldy James - Fair Exchange no Robbery [jazz rap, drumless, gangsta rap]

Tier III [Good]

26) SAULT - 11 [neo-soul, psychedelic soul, funk]
27) SRSQ - Ever Crashing [art pop, gothic pop, shoegaze]
28) Rayvn Lenae - Hypnos [contemporary R&B, neo-soul]
29) Hatchie - Giving the World Away [indie pop, shoegaze, dream pop]
30) Bonobo - Fragments [deep house, downtempo]
31) yeule - Glitch Princess [hyperpop, glitch pop]
32) Carla dal Forno - Come Around [ambient pop, ethereal wave]
33) Beth Orton - Weather Alive [art pop, ambient pop]
34) The Bogie Band (feat. Joe Russo) - The Prophets in the City [bebop, jazz]
35) Weyes Blood - And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow [baroque pop, art pop]
36) Danger Mouse & Black Thought - Cheat Codes [conscious hip hop, boom bap]
37) Little Simz - NO THANK YOU [conscious hip hop, UK hip hop]
38) Marina Herlop - Pripyat [avant-folk, post-industrial, experimental]
39) Petrol Girls - Baby [noise rock, riot grrrl, post-hardcore]
40) Wake - Thought Form Descent [black metal]
41) Rachika Nayar - Heaven Come Crashing [progressive electronic, drone]
42) Julia Romana - Blood be Fluid [art pop, alternative R&B]
43) Alvvays - Blue Rev [shoegaze, indie pop, dream pop]
44) Sly5thAve & Roberto Verastegui - Agua de Jamaica [latin jazz, nu jazz, lounge]
45) Daphni - Cherry [tech house, electronic]
46) Lucercia Dalt - ¡Ay! [art pop, Latin jazz, electroacoustic]
47) The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention [indie rock, art rock, jazz-rock]
48) Andrina Bollinger - Secret Seed [art pop, singer/songwriter]
49) Open Mike Eagle - A Tape Called Component System With the Auto Reverse [abstract hip hop]
50) Szun Waves - Earth Patterns [nu jazz, ambient jazz]

In addition, below is my Spotify playlist containing a standout track from each of these albums in descending order:

My own distribution, awarding my top10:

(20) Jenny Hval - Classic Objects

(15) Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There
(15) King Hannah - I'm Not Sorry, I Was Just Being Me

(10) Silvana Estrada - Marchita
(10) Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter
(10) Amber Mark - Three Dimensions Deep

(5) Billy Woods - Aethiopes
(5) Zola Jesus - Arkhon
(5) Jeremiah Chiu & Marta Sofia Honer - Recordings from the Åland Islands
(5) Björk - Fossora

Overall personal list on the Best Music 🎶 of 2022! thread:
That Zola Jesus probably would have made mine if I'd spent a bit more time with it. Haven't been let down by one of her albums yet!

@Rip_City
1- Arctic Monkeys The Car 10 pts.
2- Nilufer Yanya Painless 8 pts.
3- Spoon Lucifer on the Sofa 8 pts.
4- Elvis Costello & The Imposters The Boy Named If 7 pts.
5- Sudan Archives Natural Brown Prom Queen 7 pts.
6- Destroyer Labyrinthitis 6 pts.
7- Hurray for the Riff Raff Life on Earth 6 pts.
8- Beyonce Renaissance 5 pts.
9- Guided by Voices Crystal Nuns Cathedral 5 pts.
10- Jockstrap I Love You, Jennifer B 4 pts.
11- Superchunk Wild Loneliness 4 pts.
12- Andrew Bird Inside Problems 3 pts.
13- Beth Orton Weather Alive 3 pts.
14- Tears for Fears The Tipping Point 3 pts.
15- Guided by Voices Tremblers and Goggles by Rank 3 pts.
16- Kendrick Lamar Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers 3 pts.
17- Mitski Laurel Hell 2 pts.
18- Weyes Blood And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow 2 pts.
19- The Beths Expert in a Dying Field 2 pts.
20- The Weather Station How Is It I Should Look At The Stars 2 pts.
21- Drive-By Truckers Welcome to Club XIII 2 pts.
22- Sharon Van Etten We’ve Been Going About This All Wrong 2 pts.
23- Robyn Hitchcock Shufflemania! 1 pt.
24- The Smile A Light for Attracting Attention 1 pt.
25- Father John Misty Chloe & The Next 20th Century 1 pt.

2022 Top 25 Albums.png

Last edited:
Back