World Music thread

New Strut release with their Nigeria 70 Deluxe Boxset (contains 9 LPs (all 4 volumes), 24-page 12” booklet & 5 x collector 12” cards featuring original sleeve artwork)

I saw the notification a knew it was going to be, hey guys here is this new temptation that you are gonna have to exercise self control over kind of post.

Just got done reading a recent article on Clube De Esquina. Never really payed attention to the album although I knew it was a classic. Wish I spoke Portuguese, but the added context that the article helped increase my appreciation. Anybody got something to add about the album?

Last edited:
Just got done reading a recent article on Clube De Esquina. Never really payed attention to the album although I knew it was a classic. Wish I spoke Portuguese, but the added context that the article helped increase my appreciation. Anybody got something to add about the album?

Yes! It needs a worldwide high quality reissue (even though the Polysom 2017 reissue seems fine). I had this record in my want list for years but can't afford what Brazilian sellers are asking for it (this reissue is 74€ right now on Discogs).

This photo was taken 40 years after the release of the record. These two young boys are 40 years older, as you can see in this nice picture :)

1575980653088.png

Oh and there is a Clube da Esquina 2 :

Yes! It needs a worldwide high quality reissue (even though the Polysom 2017 reissue seems fine). I had this record in my want list for years but can't afford what Brazilian sellers are asking for it (this reissue is 74€ right now on Discogs).

This photo was taken 40 years after the release of the record. These two young boys are 40 years older, as you can see in this nice picture :)

View attachment 25773

Yea they mentioned the photo at the beginning of the article.

The best thing about the article was when it talked about how the album celebrates small things or relationships in the aftermath of the dictatorship. It really gave context to Milton’s voice and how he sounds so joyful. I wish I was able to understand the poetry along with the music.

I am surprised nobody shared this album yet: ONIPA - We No Be Machine

Afro futurist sensations Onipa unleash their debut album, combining afro grooves, electronics and fierce energy for an effervescent celebration of cultural and musical encounters.

ONIPA means ‘human’ in Akan, the ancient language of the Ashanti people of Ghana. It’s a message of connection through collaboration: from Ghana to London, our ancestors to our children, Onipa brings energy, groove, electronics, afrofuturism, dance and fire!
Born out of deep collaboration between long-time friends KOG (Kweku of Ghana of KOG and the Zongo Brigade) and Tom Excell (MD, guitarist and writer of acclaimed jazz/ soul afrobeat pioneers Nubiyan Twist), the 4 piece live show features KOG on vocals, balafon and percussion, Tom Excell on guitar, percussion and electronics, Dwayne Kilvington (Wonky Logic) on synths and MPC and Finn Booth (Nubiyan Twist) on drums.

"As we chase the morphic resonance of African art, sound and movement into new worlds, we find stories of the past answering riddles of the future. Tales of existence and resistance, of our innate ability to positively connect, express, share and create. Tales of extending our natural abilities beyond our own survival, to the survival of the planet, reminding us that our ancient connection with the earth must not be traded for technology and materials.

Through the musical prisms of London and Ghana our influences join together to create a new sound, 'Savanna Bass’. A fundamental thread of traditional African rhythms, instrumentation and storytelling, interwoven with electronics, urban soundscapes and synth bass. We use technology, but it should never use us, our music is live and about deep human connection."

I am surprised nobody shared this album yet: ONIPA - We No Be Machine

Afro futurist sensations Onipa unleash their debut album, combining afro grooves, electronics and fierce energy for an effervescent celebration of cultural and musical encounters.

ONIPA means ‘human’ in Akan, the ancient language of the Ashanti people of Ghana. It’s a message of connection through collaboration: from Ghana to London, our ancestors to our children, Onipa brings energy, groove, electronics, afrofuturism, dance and fire!
Born out of deep collaboration between long-time friends KOG (Kweku of Ghana of KOG and the Zongo Brigade) and Tom Excell (MD, guitarist and writer of acclaimed jazz/ soul afrobeat pioneers Nubiyan Twist), the 4 piece live show features KOG on vocals, balafon and percussion, Tom Excell on guitar, percussion and electronics, Dwayne Kilvington (Wonky Logic) on synths and MPC and Finn Booth (Nubiyan Twist) on drums.

"As we chase the morphic resonance of African art, sound and movement into new worlds, we find stories of the past answering riddles of the future. Tales of existence and resistance, of our innate ability to positively connect, express, share and create. Tales of extending our natural abilities beyond our own survival, to the survival of the planet, reminding us that our ancient connection with the earth must not be traded for technology and materials.

Through the musical prisms of London and Ghana our influences join together to create a new sound, 'Savanna Bass’. A fundamental thread of traditional African rhythms, instrumentation and storytelling, interwoven with electronics, urban soundscapes and synth bass. We use technology, but it should never use us, our music is live and about deep human connection."
🔥 5 seconds in and I'm loving it. Thank you for posting - would've probably missed it (for the moment).

View attachment 25773

i just found this but i cannot confirm its legitimacy

i just found this but i cannot confirm its legitimacy
Oh boy, why does it have to be so expensive... o_O
I'd really love to buy this record, but don't know if I'd spend $$$ on it.

Oh boy, why does it have to be so expensive... o_O
I'd really love to buy this record, but don't know if I'd spend $$$ on it.
i'm going back & forth on it myself... doesn't help that merchbar is never descriptive about what it's actually sending you

Used to listen to this group a lot when they came out. If I recall correctly, the first three albums are great but I stopped following them after that for a while.

Back