Wordle and other daily game results and discussion.

So I'm curious on the math of whether one could conceivably have gotten to today's solution by something other than sheer luck. Once you are locked into the death spiral, there is no way to make a valid word work to eliminate that many consonants at once?

So I'm curious on the math of whether one could conceivably have gotten to today's solution by something other than sheer luck. Once you are locked into the death spiral, there is no way to make a valid word work to eliminate that many consonants at once?
I think it was dependent on what letters were used in early guesses. If you got the last 5 early and proceeded to keep guessing those five it would have been a bit harder than if you knocked out of few of potential variable letters first. Like it took me 3 guess to figure out the last 5 so I only had 4 reasonable words left and 3 guesses remaining still coulda easily missed it on my last try but it was a 50/50 proposition at that point.

so many of my coworkers bombed with it. My guess pattern is completely random and I happened to guess the correct first letter with my second guess, so that pattern didn't happen for me luckily.

This was me today. First miss.

This is my minor gripe about Wordle: even though you can apply strategy, and having strong word power is a boon, it’s primarily a blunt-force guessing game.

Like maaaaybe there’s an argument to be made that once you know you’re in a spill/swill/skill/still situation and have multiple guesses left, play “kilts” or something that’ll eliminate multiple letters…but to some extent anyone who gets the wordle happened to get the wordle.

This is my minor gripe about Wordle: even though you can apply strategy, and having strong word power is a boon, it’s primarily a blunt-force guessing game.

Like maaaaybe there’s an argument to be made that once you know you’re in a spill/swill/skill/still situation and have multiple guesses left, play “kilts” or something that’ll eliminate multiple letters…but to some extent anyone who gets the wordle happened to get the wordle.
Yeah, also, it’s a game I would assume go for win in less guesses than hedge my bet and guess something obviously incorrect just to eliminate letters.

I think it was dependent on what letters were used in early guesses. If you got the last 5 early and proceeded to keep guessing those five it would have been a bit harder than if you knocked out of few of potential variable letters first. Like it took me 3 guess to figure out the last 5 so I only had 4 reasonable words left and 3 guesses remaining still coulda easily missed it on my last try but it was a 50/50 proposition at that point.
I think that's my point. Like say you got to the ⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩on the first guess (long shot) but hypothetical.

That still left 6 potential guesses if you only used a single new consonant each time (minus 1 I guess if you used one of those already in the first row).

For today, that left
WPHLCM and two of these were already in the word so you would still have to duplicate them to check

So you can see where trying to make a sacrifice word to eliminate a few of those would seem hopeless. You'd probably have to waste at least two words to kill some consonants and that still might leave you with too many letters to check to get it.

I think that's my point. Like say you got to the ⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩on the first guess (long shot) but hypothetical.

That still left 6 potential guesses if you only used a single new consonant each time (minus 1 I guess if you used one of those already in the first row).

For today, that left
WPHLCM and two of these were already in the word so you would still have to duplicate them to check

So you can see where trying to make a sacrifice word to eliminate a few of those would seem hopeless. You'd probably have to waste at least two words to kill some consonants and that still might leave you with too many letters to check to get it.
Yes, that’s (almost) me today, As I didn’t knock any of the potential consonants on my first try. I was very lucky to get it at my 3rd try 😎
Wordle 265 3/6*

🟨🟨🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

For today, that left

You forgot “B” too but yeah that just presses your point further. Essentially you have 7 potential words but only 6 guesses. I had eliminated “H” and “B” prior to figuring out the base letters so I had 3 guesses remaining but it could have been potentially one of 5 different words.

Yeah You are correct. It’s always better to be lucky than good.

Last edited:
I feel like that's always true of wordle?

Back