What's your 2021 "Gear" resolution?

My plan is to get a new amp and turntable in the new year. I’ve really enjoyed my vintage gear over the last 5+ years but I’m ready to get modern.
As I’ve stated elsewhere in this section, the Rogue Audio Sphinx V3 is my front runner at this time.
The turntable is going to take a little more time for me to decide on. My “dream” table has been the McIntosh MT5. I can just picture the green glow illuminating from my listening area and me just grinning from ear to ear. In the not so dream world, my wife would probably be killing me. I haven’t been doing a whole lot of research but I have a few candidates.
There is a second setup in our book nook, that we thought would get a lot of attention but to be honest, it doesn’t. I would like to upgrade the speakers, but I’m thinking about dissolving it all together. Since the pandemic, my wife has been using that area for her work and now my daughter has joined that space for her online learning, so even less record spinning is done. Like the old Facebook relationship status, it’s complicated.
I still plan on only buying the vinyl that I’ll enjoy and continue to squash the FOMO.
One thing that I’d like to do for the new year is pick a few genres that I don’t regularly listen to and focus on one for 2–3 months. We’ll see how that goes.

I have no goals, but to save money now. I’ve spent so much money on improving my set up in the past year. Maybe in like 5 years, I’ll upgrade my ELAC speakers and look into tube amps. I am also looking to upgrade from the Squeaky clean to a higher quality RCM.

1) get my Lenco up and running. Think it will be a huge upgrade from the crappy TT I have now;
2) New speakers. My current ones won’t be making the big move, so I need to get new ones. Swithering between the LS50 Meta or Neat Iota Alphas
3) Look at getting a new amp. I fancy an all-in-one amp/streamer, so I’m thinking Naim Unity Atom or Linn Majik.

All depends on how the big move goes!

Such a great thread, @AnthonyI.

Long post ahead and likely TMI ahead....

Going to be a big year for upgrades in 2021. First and foremost is, the PLACE! Haha. My partner and I would both like to take the big step in owning a home, but taxes are going to determine what we’re eligible for from lenders next year. Since I’m self-employed, it’s always a crapshoot as to how the numbers pan out after deductions and expenses. So we’ll see. Even if it doesn’t work out yet and we go for a bigger apartment, it still leaves me with space for my dream - two setups.

So budget is going to depend on what kind of an investment we’re making and what I’m comfortably left to work with, but here’s what I’m thinking:

Living room system:
- Turntable stays the same - VPI Cliffwood + VPI/Grado Green + 8mz. Been super satisfied with this setup.
- I’ve been bouncing between a Schiit Mani and a MoFi StudioPhono for a pre. I like aspects of both. Depending on what kind of budget I’m left over with, I’m thinking of potentially taking a swing on a Lounge LCR Gold. I really enjoyed my time with the MkIII when I had it.
- Decware Super Zen Triode amp. I LOVE the idea of low wattage, class A tube for playback. I’m a musician and an engineer, and when I listen at home, I’m not looking to blow the doors off the place - have enough of that out of my home, haha, so I typically really only listen at about 60dB(A) (I know that sounds crazy to some of you) so I think this amp is right in the sweet spot for what I’m looking for. Has two inputs (perfect) and on-the-fly impedance switches that you can safely adjust during playback (fun) - what else do you want!?
- Some kind of streamer - I use Spotify Connect all the time and would like to start incorporating a lossless option, Tidal Connect seems like the ticket if it works the same as Spotify’s. My initial thought was the Bluesound Node 2i, but $550 for a streamer seems kind of insane to me? Am I crazy? And I’ve also heard it does not play gapless with Spotify Connect, only in Bluesound’s software, so that’s a big red flag for me. I have no interest in setting up a server or a computer or anything for this system, I just want something where I can pull out my phone, connect, and stream. I suspect @Ed Selley is the person to ask about this!
- I’ll need a sensitive set of speakers for this system, so depending on space and budget, my initial ideas are Klipsch RP-600Ms or Zu Dirty Weekends.

Office system:
Going to be making some upgrades to my home office/studio setup, so I’m most definitely going to add a turntable to the mix. It’ll be through a monitor controller into set of nearfield monitors, leaning toward Focal Shapes right now for anyone who’s interested in that world. I’m thinking direct drive is the move for that kind of a listening environment, so I’ll be joining the PLX-1000 club if that’s what ends up happening. First cart will likely be an AT 95 ML. Always been curious how that cart sounds, and figure I can have some fun shooting some carts out in the office when the bug hits!

If you made it this far, I owe you a beer at the first N&G meetup, whenever that is! 😂

Last edited:

Going to be a big year for upgrades in 2021. First and foremost is, the PLACE! Haha. My partner and I would both like to take the big step in owning a home, but taxes are going to determine what we’re eligible for from lenders next year. Since I’m self-employed, it’s always a crapshoot as to how the numbers pan out after deductions and expenses. So we’ll see. Even if it doesn’t work out yet and we go for a bigger apartment, it still leaves me with space for my dream - two setups.

So budget is going to depend on what kind of an investment we’re making and what I’m comfortably left to work with, but here’s what I’m thinking:

Living room system:
- Turntable stays the same - VPI Cliffwood + VPI/Grado Green + 8mz. Been super satisfied with this setup.
- I’ve been bouncing between a Schiit Mani and a MoFi StudioPhono for a pre. I like aspects of both. Depending on what kind of budget I’m left over with, I’m thinking of potentially taking a swing on a Lounge LCR Gold. I really enjoyed my time with the MkIII when I had it.
- Decware Super Zen Triode amp. I LOVE the idea of low wattage, class A tube for playback. I’m a musician and an engineer, and when I listen at home, I’m not looking to blow the doors off the place - have enough of that out of my home, haha, so I typically really only listen at about 60dB(A) (I know that sounds crazy to some of you) so I think this amp is right in the sweet spot for what I’m looking for. Has two inputs (perfect) and on-the-fly impedance switches that you can safely adjust during playback (fun) - what else do you want!?
- Some kind of streamer - I use Spotify Connect all the time and would like to start incorporating a lossless option, Tidal Connect seems like the ticket if it works the same as Spotify’s. My initial thought was the Bluesound Node 2i, but $550 for a streamer seems kind of insane to me? Am I crazy? And I’ve also heard it does not play gapless with Spotify Connect, only in Bluesound’s software, so that’s a big red flag for me. I have no interest in setting up a server or a computer or anything for this system, I just want something where I can pull out my phone, connect, and stream. I suspect @Ed Selley is the person to ask about this!
- I’ll need a sensitive set of speakers for this system, so depending on space and budget, my initial ideas are Klipsch RP-600Ms or Zu Dirty Weekends.

Office system:
Going to be making some upgrades to my home office/studio setup, so I’m most definitely going to add a turntable to the mix. It’ll be through a monitor controller into set of nearfield monitors, leaning toward Focal Shapes right now for anyone who’s interested in that world. I’m thinking direct drive is the move for that kind of a listening environment, so I’ll be joining the PLX-1000 club if that’s what ends up happening. First cart will likely be an AT 95 ML. Always been curious how that cart sounds, and figure I can have some fun shooting some carts out in the office when the bug hits!

If you made it this far, I owe you a beer at the first N&G meetup, whenever that is! 😂
If you want a dac that can connect to your phone and stream, the Marantz that @AnthonyI and I have is brilliant for that.

Living room system:

Office system:

For streaming I can’t not recommend the home brew raspberry pi solution. I’m using mine as a Roon endpoint, so qobuz through Roon, but I also have Spotify connect capability on it too. For its cost the sound is ace and it seriously punches above its weight!

For streaming I can’t not recommend the home brew raspberry pi solution. I’m using mine as a Roon endpoint, so qobuz through Roon, but I also have Spotify connect capability on it too. For its cost the sound is ace and it seriously punches above its weight!
Ok, so for someone who works in audio, I am wildly blind to the consumer end - once I deliver the files, it’s out of my hands! Hahaha. So bear with me here... this is going to seem like we’re going back to grade school for a moment.

I’ve heard the term Raspberry Pi thrown about, but I don’t understand quite what it is - an operating system? And by a home brew device, meaning effectively a standalone device that networks local files & streams, and is a DAC?

Roon - that’s a subscription software that will let you, over WiFi, stream local audio files, right? If I’m just looking to stream off of services, no local files, is that necessary?

And apologies, all - this likely belongs in the digital thread, and happy to move over there if we need.

So a raspberry pi is a microcomputer. It has its own DAC but it is crap. You can get DAC cards that connect to it and cases from companies such as hifiberry. You then flash an operating system onto an SD card, plug it in and off you go. It’s really simple. Roon is overkill for you then. There are loads of other software solutions for the pi though. All the ones I’ve tried have had Spotify connect free, you often have to pay to add Qobuz or Tidal support. You can basically build a streamer that sounds really good for circa €100.

Last edited:
Cool!! Thanks, guys. I appreciate the info.

Yeah @Joe Mac you mention you need to pay to have Qobuz or Tidal support, which piggybacks on my thoughts that perhaps being able to stream higher quality files may just not quite be worth it yet. I’ve also heard that there is actually a difference when it’s sent over WiFi and you’re dealing with higher sample rates, which kind of defeats the purpose.

I happen to think the Sonos Play: 5’s DSP on lossy formats sounds really excellent, so I think ok, grab a Sonos Port, it does Tidal HiFi, albeit capped at 44.1/16, but reviews seem to really say it sounds pretty underwhelming, so perhaps the sweet spot ends for Sonos once you move beyond their all in one enclosures.

That’s the big one right there, isn’t it?
I believe I did a fairly good job of that this year. Saying goodbye to VMP was a good step. Currently only subbed to Secretly Society which is insanely cheap and the Gimmie Metal club. I'm still exploring new music but through Spotify and not buying blindly.

I believe I did a fairly good job of that this year. Saying goodbye to VMP was a good step. Currently only subbed to Secretly Society which is insanely cheap and the Gimmie Metal club. I'm still exploring new music but through Spotify and not buying blindly.

Yeah VMP gone was definitely a big step in the right direction for me too. I’ve still bought a lot but the of the new releases I like and filling back catalogues of my favourites.

Back