What's The Most Valuable Record In Your Collection?

my thought is, it came in a box, it's a box set... it may just be an album, but that box sets it apart...
I can see that logic. My thought was along the lines a box set needs to include multiple released albums. I'm sure that's old school but like I said it is a bit ambiguous and it's my personal categories. Mentally wack or not 😀

The differentiation for me would be box set that are a collection of individual releases bundles together vs. box sets that are deluxe sets of individual studio or live albums.
See but the Wilco Deluxe boxes are for sure boxes... so why wouldn't the One Step Muddy Waters? However you want to categorize them is however you want to categorize them. Unlike alphabetization where there is one right answer, I'm not invested in this, mostly just being a dick. sort of.

Making an update as I just noticed that I crossed the $300K in the "high" Estimated Collection Value...that's not suppose to be a flex - more that my collection is nowhere near that value.

Sorted by median value...

I see the new Stop Making Sense made an appearance.

View attachment 192397

View attachment 192398
I often ask myself, “How much $ would it take for you to sell it all?”

Median? Max? A premium?

To be honest, I’m not sure. Sometimes I don’t think there’s a price on my collection. I’d like to think when I’m old and failing, I will spin these records and listen to them like old friends.

But realistically, I’d probably sell at “max” and then start over :)

I often ask myself, “How much $ would it take for you to sell it all?”

Median? Max? A premium?

To be honest, I’m not sure. Sometimes I don’t think there’s a price on my collection. I’d like to think when I’m old and failing, I will spin these records and listen to them like old friends.

But realistically, I’d probably sell at “max” and then start over :)

It's not something I hope I would need to know...but I know my wife would want to know what to get out of it.

I always told her to call the local record store if I happen to pass away suddenly - but they closed, so I really don't have a plan B for her.

I'd easily sell at max if i know I'd get that much - and then downsize to what i really like.

Rihanna's holding her ground!

It's insane to see just how much things must have dropped the further away from the lockdown/pandemic world we get. For about a year now my total median hovers at the exact same figure despite me adding a lot of records in that time, of which their total should have bumped it up significantly. Strange because I personally haven't noticed a drop in the market day to day. As you can see, the majority of my purchases nowadays lean toward British jazz classics and they are certainly becoming more expensive as the US 'collectors' seem to be honing in on them too now.

Top by median:

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 10.16.45.png

Rihanna's holding her ground!

It's insane to see just how much things must have dropped the further away from the lockdown/pandemic world we get. For about a year now my total median hovers at the exact same figure despite me adding a lot of records in that time, of which their total should have bumped it up significantly. Strange because I personally haven't noticed a drop in the market day to day. As you can see, the majority of my purchases nowadays lean toward British jazz classics and they are certainly becoming more expensive as the US 'collectors' seem to be honing in on them too now.

Top by median:

View attachment 192458

I don’t sell a high volume, but I sell on both Discogs and eBay. Stuff that, during pandemic, would’ve sold within hours at higher prices than I’m currently listing them, and now they’re languishing. Most eventually sell at the price I set, but it takes a lot longer. I reduce the prices on some.

On the flip side (pun intended), I’ve acquired a handful of RVG-stamped BN titles (incl a couple first presses, but most Liberty or later) for prices much lower than I’d have had to pay during pandemic, but I was unwilling at those prices

I don’t sell a high volume, but I sell on both Discogs and eBay. Stuff that, during pandemic, would’ve sold within hours at higher prices than I’m currently listing them, and now they’re languishing. Most eventually sell at the price I set, but it takes a lot longer. I reduce the prices on some.

On the flip side (pun intended), I’ve acquired a handful of RVG-stamped BN titles (incl a couple first presses, but most Liberty or later) for prices much lower than I’d have had to pay during pandemic, but I was unwilling at those prices
I've noticed the same thing. I always have bits listed on Discogs and Ebay but the sales come in significantly less nowadays. I think people have become much more picky about which pressings to get, at least thats what I have noticed where jazz is concerned. Its either the original pressings or some sort of limited reissue that tends to get the high prices, others seem to go for much less whereas previously it all seemed to be high sales.

Back