What's Spinning

The next batch is me finishing out the "T" artists (outside of Holiday/Soundtrack offerings) as well as one newer pickup spliced in between. After this will be me going through my stack of just cleaned accumulated items before engaging the ridiculously large list of "S" artists

065- Troye Sivan - Blue Neighborhood

I played Bloom earlier and this follows in the same mold: really great sounding modern pop music. They took some care to make this pressing sound whole sound big, moody, and beautiful. I feel like a lot of the people who collect Troye's vinyl are doing so for reasons outside of the music, but the sound on this is definitely in the better realm of major mass releases. Definitely one to try and play on a great set-up, I think it'd hold up.

066 - Lucius - Wildewoman

I had been eyeing this one for a while, just a really compelling sounding Indie pop duo who really use good harmonies to make some great tunes. Not much else to say, still reasonably priced

067 - Taylor Swift - Red
068 - Taylor Swift - Evermore

It's kind of funny listening to these back to back for a lot of reasons. I'll just say the Red listen likely convinced me to pick up Taylor's version of Red when that eventually appears, and I still have a strong Evermore over Folklore preference. Also, since getting out on her own terms, I think the sound quality of Swift's vinyl pressings has taken a big ole step up.

069 - Tegan and Sara - Love You To Death
070 - Tegan and Sara - If It Was You

Love You To Death is very much newer T&S - a more techno/digital feeling that has all of the usual good Tegan and Sara markings, but it just didn't quite hit with me.

On the other hand Love You To Death...man, this is probably my biggest surprise thus far. My T&S exposure was somewhat limited to the albums I have and the bit of streaming I did, so this was a bit of a blind pickup and I hadn't really gone into the pre "The Con" discography. What an amazing record. Moodier, heavier, a lot more Indie/DIY, just a concrete, solid sound with all of their best lyrical traits. What a freaking treat this was to finally dig out and listen to.

PXL_20210722_141822657.jpg

Miles Davis at the Plugged Nickel, Chicago

A fantastic performance. I was chatting about this over on the Jazz thread as im not sure which album its taken from and the order is different and the levels are different to the clips on youtube (the audience is louder for example).

IMG_4287.jpg

Herbie Hancock - Rockit/Rough (CBS, 1983 First 7" Pressing)
Funkadelic ‎– One Nation Under A Groove Pt 1 & 2 (Warner Bros. Records, 1978 First 7" Pressing)
Chic ‎– Everybody Dance/You Can Get By (Atlantic, 1978 First 7" Pressing)
Victor Feldman Modern Jazz Septet / Quartet - Typhoon / How Deep Is The Ocean (Esquire, 1955 First 7" Pressing)

I saved the Funkadelic and Chic from a pile that my friends parents were looking to get rid of. This is yet another copy of Rockit (I have the 7", 12", cassette album and LP album). Finishing it off with a belter of British Jazz that includes Dizzy Reece on trumpet.

IMG_4285.jpg

Back