What's Spinning

I see my local has this one, Please let us know what your final verdict? Cheers!

It's a great album, definitely pick it up if you can

edit - just so I don't give the wrong impression, the packaging isn't like a Stoughton & probably won't be the hard wearing if it's not looked after, but it's a proper flip back with a great quality image, very similar to a lot of the sam records titles

Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 21.41.42.png

Last edited:
This series is going to be really great if they maintain the quality. I was hoping they would be released in a single box set but I guess not. I might end up picking a few of these up, I have been on the search for originals for quite a while but when we are talking about £250+ for an OG or £30 for this I know which one I will go for!

I've got the window tilter on pre-order as well. I'll be interested to see what else comes out.

I've got the window tilter on pre-order as well. I'll be interested to see what else comes out.
I actually did a bit of digging here. I guessed that the tracks from the compilation/sampler were taken from the upcoming titles in the series and it seems like I was correct.

Michael Gibbs - S/T
Stan Tracy - 7 Ages Of Man
The New Jazz Orchestra - Le Déjeuner Sur l'Herbe
Harry Beckett - Flare Up
Neil Ardley, Don Rendell & Ian Carr - Greek Variations & Other Aegean Exercises (an absolute monster rarity)
Alan Skidmore - Once Upon A Time
John Surman & John Warren - Tales of the Algonquin
Don Rendell - Space Walk
Ken Wheeler and the John Dankworth Orchestra - Windmill Tilter

Interestingly there is also tracks from other musicians/albums not listed here (eg Collin Bates Trio and Dick Morrissey).

Going to be one hell of a series

A980EDA0-CE00-49B0-9641-C7436263E1AE.jpeg

I actually did a bit of digging here. I guessed that the tracks from the compilation/sampler were taken from the upcoming titles in the series and it seems like I was correct.

Michael Gibbs - S/T
Stan Tracy - 7 Ages Of Man
The New Jazz Orchestra - Le Déjeuner Sur l'Herbe
Harry Beckett - Flare Up
Neil Ardley, Don Rendell & Ian Carr - Greek Variations & Other Aegean Exercises (an absolute monster rarity)
Alan Skidmore - Once Upon A Time
John Surman & John Warren - Tales of the Algonquin
Don Rendell - Space Walk
Ken Wheeler and the John Dankworth Orchestra - Windmill Tilter

Interestingly there is also tracks from other musicians/albums not listed here (eg Collin Bates Trio and Dick Morrissey).

Going to be one hell of a series

View attachment 106251
I believe you have one of the most unique, and cultivated jazz collections I have ever seen sir.

Last edited:
I believe you have one of the most unique, and cultivated jazz collections I have ever seen sir.
Cheers man but worth mentioning that the photo isn't mine, it's the guy that's curated the reissues for the Decca series. Some have been released but some are likely to be available for pre-order soon.

Saying that, I do actually have OG pressings of some of these :ROFLMAO:

The Collection Playthrough Catchup

059 - Tracy Chapman - Crossroads

This is the "bargain" among Tracy Chapman vinyl selections and is probably a bit of a sophomore slump, with that said once I really gave it a full listen I thought it was full of really solid songs even if it was missing those high points of the album that preceded or succeeded it.

060 - Carolina Chocolate Drops - Leaving Eden

This was one of those groups where their hype peak fell just slightly outside of my recognition window - if it had come out a few years later I would've been obsessed. This was a pickup that was a bargain grab because the Ebay seller thought it was signed and it wasn't, so he knocked off a good amount of cash. Really cool influences throughout and unlike much else that hit my ears in this timeframe.

061 - Thao & The Get Down - Temple

A sub $10 Amazon grab a while back ,I wish I liked it more. The B-Side tracks actually stood out more on this playthrough but half the time I listened I wanted for Thao and Mirah to get back together. Oh well.

062 - Sierra Hull - Weighted Mind

Holy goodness, why did I sleep on Sierra Hull for so long? I know Sierra Hull has floated with the same crowd I have a lot of and on a label I frequently listen to, but I just never really listened to her work. This was severely impressive fiddle work, vocals, and lyrics all in one package. I definitely need to go back and listen to her some more

063 - Sarah Jarosz - Follow Me Down

I busted this one open for the White Whale challenge. This is one of my Top 10 or so albums of all time and a very difficult find on vinyl (please repress Sarah) so I was hesitant to open it. I was scared because track one had noise that a cleaning didn't cure...but that dissipated to bluegrass perfection for the remainder. I still think this was "peak" Bluegrass Jarosz, though her more recent output may be stronger overall music. The Dylan, Radiohead, and Edgar Allen Poe inspired songs are all standouts and Side A on the whole is just sublime.

064 - Tove Lo - Queen of the Clouds

I always go between wondering if Tove Lo should've been even bigger or not off of this album, which probably means the level of recognition was right. It's probably a little bloated as a deluxe edition but I appreciate her attempt to theme out the album by side and use vinyl in that way, and most of the pop is really good pop. Always enjoy this spin.

PXL_20210720_155952627.jpg

How does this sound ? Heard mix reviews

It’s really good. Clean quiet pressing and the mastering is good, perhaps a little quiet but I’d always rather that and crank the volume than mastered loud. It is the stones though so it’s not audiophile salivation levels because well they were never that interested in audiophiles when they recorded in the first place!

Back