What's Spinning

Thanks to @AndySlash for picking this RSD release up for me...

John Carpenter & Dave Davies ‎– Village of the Damned (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Varèse Sarabande/Universal ‎– VSD00290, 1995/2021

Originally supposed to be a 2020 BFRSD release it was delayed to 2021, but some copies had already been shipped to retailers. This copy has that front RSD sticker covering up the same sticker that has the BF RSD logo.

Cut by Theo Krieger at SST
Pressed at MPO

QKkd5u.jpg

iGptw0.jpg

@kafunis , @avecigrec and @e.s. , i saw that yall posted sping of the Impule Records set. whats your opinion on the quality ?
i just placed an order but discogs reviews are strange. i can still decide to not pick it up, got it a good price too i think.

My takeaway when I read then Discogs reviews is that it is priced nearly double in the UK than in North America and felt lacking at that price point. Which is fair.

The price my wife paid (about $130 CAD) felt fair for the set. Lined sleeves would've been nice of course, but I'm very happy with the set, its contents and the sound. The magazine they did for the liner notes, including vintage ads is really cool and I love my new slipmat!

If you get a good deal might be worth it, it’s OK nothing special, not particularly good value but like I say if you find a good deal it’s not bad, the tracks they include are all over the place, some are great but I think they could have chosen better ones by some of the artists. The booklet is pretty underwhelming. The sound is alright , I think the Spiritual Jazz Impulse is a better comp.
@kafunis , @avecigrec and @e.s. , i saw that yall posted sping of the Impule Records set. whats your opinion on the quality ?
i just placed an order but discogs reviews are strange. i can still decide to not pick it up, got it a good price too i think.

Portico (Self-titled, self-released, UK, c.2006)

981FE12A-DF80-46DA-BAF6-906DB51C9384.jpeg

More CD loveliness from back when Portico Quartet used to busk on the South Bank every weekend. We’d take family and friends who were visiting for that walk from London Bridge along the river past The Globe to Waterloo with the sole purposes of catching these young lads playing this chilled out music with a ‘weird instrument’! This was the CD they used to hawk between songs. Some of these got re-recorded for their official debut album a few years later.

4AD0EA1D-6520-47C2-8895-95676BA1873D.jpeg

Collection Playthrough

014 - Wet - Don't You
015 - Wet - Still Run

One of those 2010s Indie bands that really flew hard under the radar overall and who may surprise in 2021. It's genuinely really rare now that I remember exactly how I first heard a band, but I was laying in bed on a lazy night probably six or seven years ago at this point in time just listening to a Spotify shuffle and "Don't Wanna Be Your Girl" popped on and immediately shook me out of my autopilot listening. The layered beats, the overall lo-fi feel, and Kelly Zutrau's light but commanding vocals just hitting an emotional barrage. I maintain that Don't You was one of those little indie masterpiece of an albums, and while Still Run didn't quite make it to that level, it's still quite solid.

Two other things of note. First, this is one of the small number of lower impact Indie bands that I feel like really is rewarded on the medium, even on my modest set up. The drums and the bass and most of the production elements are balanced quite well and really stand out as opposed to a streaming / phone listen. Second, they are one of the very few live shows I went to where like 20-30% of the crowd filtered out after an opener (they) were done. They opened up for Tobias Jesso Jr. (speaking of which where did he go?) and really stole the show on that particular night. Good memories, and I hope their third effort delivers.

PXL_20210628_133039878.jpg

Back