What's Spinning

I cannot say enough nice things about this band. I have been a fan since '93 and will gladly buy anything they release because, as time has shown, it is nothing but quality!

Exactly! Hopefully they can press See The Ocean Blue & Davey Jones’ Locker on vinyl In the future. It seems they do a lot DIY coupled with their regular jobs.

Collection Playthrough

020 - Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby
021 - Van William - Revolution
022 - Van Morrison - Moondance
023 - Valerie June - The Moon And Stars: Prescriptions For Dreamers

For the playthrough, I made the decision to save Holiday music and Soundtracks/Various Artists (comps) til the end for a few reasons, so I only have four that fall in the first name "V" or band name "V" realm. The "T's", even without "The" being included, won't be so light.

The Vanilla Ice is just perfect because I can't imagine ever wanting to listen to anything but Ice Ice Baby and Play That Funky Music, and it has both. It was a $1 LRS find and given the minimal space it takes up for the enjoyability it gives, it's a vice I can work with.

Speaking of $1 LRS grabs, the 7" for Van William includes the title track with First Aid Kit on it, which is the only reason I really have it. This sounded like a disaster on my intro record player but sounds okay now. Scratches an itch I suppose

Van Morrison is a complicated one because, well, current day version is a grumpy curmudgeon who I really don't care to support. With that said, this super beat up copy came for cheap at a used book store and he didn't get one penny from me, so I'm swallowing my feelings on him as a person. It's a classic for a reason, though the copy does have some pops due to...you know, age and beatup and the like. Dunno if I'll hang on to this one.

Valerie June was the only new, full price pickup from Magnolia, and is one of the highlights of 2021 for me. She, along with several other very talented women, have been fusing Americana and Soul (like The War and Treaty from an earlier post) into a really fresh but familiar sound with a viewpoint often underrepresented at least in the Americana genre. A very high recommendation on my part. Also, the cover is gorgeous in person - beautiful refractor/shimmer over a photo which commands you to look.

PXL_20210629_175925496.jpg

Collection Playthrough

020 - Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby
021 - Van William - Revolution
022 - Van Morrison - Moondance
023 - Valerie June - The Moon And Stars: Prescriptions For Dreamers

For the playthrough, I made the decision to save Holiday music and Soundtracks/Various Artists (comps) til the end for a few reasons, so I only have four that fall in the first name "V" or band name "V" realm. The "T's", even without "The" being included, won't be so light.

The Vanilla Ice is just perfect because I can't imagine ever wanting to listen to anything but Ice Ice Baby and Play That Funky Music, and it has both. It was a $1 LRS find and given the minimal space it takes up for the enjoyability it gives, it's a vice I can work with.

Speaking of $1 LRS grabs, the 7" for Van William includes the title track with First Aid Kit on it, which is the only reason I really have it. This sounded like a disaster on my intro record player but sounds okay now. Scratches an itch I suppose

Van Morrison is a complicated one because, well, current day version is a grumpy curmudgeon who I really don't care to support. With that said, this super beat up copy came for cheap at a used book store and he didn't get one penny from me, so I'm swallowing my feelings on him as a person. It's a classic for a reason, though the copy does have some pops due to...you know, age and beatup and the like. Dunno if I'll hang on to this one.

Valerie June was the only new, full price pickup from Magnolia, and is one of the highlights of 2021 for me. She, along with several other very talented women, have been fusing Americana and Soul (like The War and Treaty from an earlier post) into a really fresh but familiar sound with a viewpoint often underrepresented at least in the Americana genre. A very high recommendation on my part. Also, the cover is gorgeous in person - beautiful refractor/shimmer over a photo which commands you to look.

View attachment 104175
Yeah, that Valerie June is fantastic and seems to be underappreciated. Probably in my top 3 or so for the year so far.

Back