What's Spinning

When it comes to 'Desert Island Disks' this would be at the top of the stack. The amount of creative energy present on this album from front-to-back is top notch; absolutely relentless funk. When you can really hear and feel the passion coming from the musicians you know it's something special.

I always secretly wanted VMP to press this with a sick purgle/gold/green 'Mardi Gras Swirl' variant.

If you haven't ever listened this, I highly highly suggest it. Recorded in 1974, this is pretty much a who's who of New Orleans musicians. You've got almost all the members of The Meters present, Willie Tee (of The Gaturs), June Yamagishi, Billy Iuso, Snooks Eaglin, Earl Turbinton Jr. and of course The Prettiest Chief this Cities ever had the pleasure of gracing it's streets...BIG CHIEF BO DOLLIS! R.I.P. TO A KING!

The Wild Magnolias (1974)
IMG_5394 - Copy.jpg

Heads up, this is one of my all time favorite compilation albums. It's particularly noteworthy because it's the only time any of the early Galactic tracks, with Theryl DeClouet, got put on vinyl. But top to bottom this thing is an exploration into modern New Orleans funk. Not an easy one to track down, but when it does pop up for sale it's usually pretty affordable...

That being said...there is exactly 1 copy on Discogs right now for$20.45 coming from Germany...If you're interested, or if you're a funk fiend...this will not disappoint. The only name someone outside of New Orleans might recognize would be Galactic, but that's what makes this comp so great. It's a showcase of all the great unheard of talent we have stewing down here in this 100+ degree heat.

Ain't No Funk Like N.O. Funk
IMG_5396 - Copy.jpg

Back