What's Spinning

#1202-1203

Orchestre Baobab - Bienvenue au Senegal
Kamasi Washington - Becoming

A real oddity courtesy of Superfly Records. I thought I pretty much owned everything of Orchestre Baobab but then they put this up - imagine getting this from the tourist office in the 1970s: 5 of their best songs (although their name is nowhere), some poems, and some ads for Chinese restaurants, airlines and hotels as well just to increase the randomness. A real treat. And a bit of an oddity from Kamasi too - short pieces that veer towards smooth jazz sometimes but still some flashes of his charm.

20210104_164403.jpg

20210105_194131.jpg

20210104_171609.jpg

#1202-1203

Orchestre Baobab - Bienvenue au Senegal
Kamasi Washington - Becoming

A real oddity courtesy of Superfly Records. I thought I pretty much owned everything of Orchestre Baobab but then they put this up - imagine getting this from the tourist office in the 1970s: 5 of their best songs (although their name is nowhere), some poems, and some ads for Chinese restaurants, airlines and hotels as well just to increase the randomness. A real treat. And a bit of an oddity from Kamasi too - short pieces that veer towards smooth jazz sometimes but still some flashes of his charm.

View attachment 82584

View attachment 82596

View attachment 82585

Becoming does it’s job well, it’s not even noticeable in the movie so it works. As an album its a breezy sampler.

Back