What's Spinning

Franz Ferdinand "Always ascending"

View attachment 82438
My first ever gig was Franz Ferdinand live in Manchester.

My arm had just healed from a break during a game of British Bulldogs (I'm sure there are other names for it, it essentially consisted of a row of schoolboys at one end and a handful in the middle. The row would have to run to the other side without being taken down by those in the middle. If they were taken down they would then be in the middle as well and it was the last person running that won). I crowd surfed to the front where a burly security guard pulled me headfirst to the floor and I rebroke it, although I didn't realise until the next morning.

Great memories.

The Michael Garrick Quintet – Poetry And Jazz In Concert (Argo, 1964 First Mono Pressing)

I bought this one on a whim, not really knowing what to expect. The concert was arranged in West Hampstead, London in 1964 and was mainly a poetry recital. The liner notes state that the poetry circuit was actually booming at the time of recording and on the first night that the Michael Garrick Quartet (with Joe Harriott) performed with them the numbers were even more impressive, with people lining out of the door hoping to get in. The album opens with an explosive number by the Quartet followed by the poetry. The Quartet wrote a piece especially for the poetry which they weave in later on. Its a really nice album and coincidentally I started reading 'Live At The Village Vanguard' (Max Gordon's autobiography) and a chapter which is dedicated to the poetry that the venue hosted in its early days. This copy of the book was from the Barry McRae estate (the jazz author/journalist) and is signed by Max which is quite cool.

IMG_6919.JPGIMG_6920.JPG

Back