What's Spinning

@Turbo's Recommended 2020 Releases

I've been discovering a lot of great new music this year. These are 2020 releases that I've been spinning a lot.

#1 The Buttertones "Jazz Hound"
I had never heard The Buttertones before but I keep coming back to this jangly new wave album. I was already sold on on the first few tracks but then the saxophone kicks in. Yes, please! There's something familiar yet timeless in these tracks. I even get some shades of Terry Callier's "Ordinary Joe" on "Denial, You Win Again" but nothing ever feels out of place.
*******EDIT: Disclaimer - I posted this before I became aware of the various allegations surrounding this band and Burger Records. The band has since been dropped by Innovative Leisure, their music removed from streaming services and their label has folded. My view of the music remain accurate but it is now unfortunately tainted by external issues.

IMG_0613.JPG

Last edited:
@Turbo's Recommended 2020 Releases

I've been discovering a lot of great new music this year. These are 2020 releases that I've been spinning a lot.

#1 The Buttertones "Jazz Hound"

#2 Baxter Dury "The Night Chancers"
I've enjoyed Baxter Dury tracks here and there. "Miami" off his last LP kept finding its way in my playlists at the time. But this is the album where I feel it all comes together. He has this unique piss and vinegar delivery and manages to throw in Gainsbourg-esque sleeze. The bass lines, synths and backing vocals complement his compositions very well here. Standouts are "I'm Not Your Dog", "Carla's Got A Boyfriend", "Hello, I'm Sorry" and "Slumlord".

IMG_0614.JPG

Last edited:
Back