What's Spinning

Cross post from the March challenge thread:

DAY 5 – Here's Where The Strings Come In

Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club At Carnegie Hall (World Circuit, 2008 First Pressing)

This album has a great string/orchestral section, the guitar playing is superb! I'm always really moved to listen to this album, and without fail, I get goosebumps at the opening track when they begin to sing and the crowd just erupts. These are a group of musicians that had all retired and some of them hadn't even owned an instrument in years, yet all of a sudden they are given a second chance and become an overnight phenomenon. Imagine being retired after a luke-warm career and then being able to stand on stage with your friends in front of this kind of crowd. It's just amazing!

IMG_4365.JPG

IMG_4368.JPG

My collection #125

Led Zeppelin IV

Led Zeppelin are and pretty much always have been my favourite band, and I'm happy with the sound of these reissues. But not sure why I got the ones with the extra material as I have absolutely no interest in playing any of it (I like the concert with I; not sure why Jimmy Page couldn't have included a concert disc or two with every release). Not my favourite Led Zep album but so many great songs on it - Black Dog, Rock n Roll, Battle of Evermore, When The Levee Breaks.

20200305_194410.jpg

The agutierrezb 2019 record collection challenge

So I've decided to embark on my own personal challenge, which consists of listening every record in my collection before the end of the year. My record collection is not that big -only ~250-, but I still feel like there are a bunch of records I don't give enough attention to, while still adding more titles to my shelves.

For this reason I've set a couple of rules in order to play every record at least once before December 31st: I'll play at least one record a day, going from front to back in the way I have them sorted in my shelf. I can play a different record (i.e. Not the next one in alphabetical order) if I feel like listening to something else in any given moment, but at least one of the records I spin in the day has to be the LP in turn.

I didn't take pictures for the first two days, but I'll try to document the process from here on, so I'll be posting daily on this thread. Wish me luck!
#158: Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds

IMG_20200304_065628.jpg

Every once in a while VMP curation does present me with records and artists I had no knowledge of and end up loving. One such case is this record, as its modal explorations intertwined with eastern folk music is straight up my alley. Fore some reason I never delved into Lateef before, but I'm glad I decided to give it a shot with this record.

I haven't watched this on Netflix...not sure if I would like it. Looks a bit too "CW" for my usual taste in TV. Any one here watch it?

Various ‎– Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina (Original Television Score And Soundtrack, Season One)
Waxwork Records/WaterTower Music ‎– WW073, 2020

3 LPs of the score (Adam Taylor, Handmaid's Tale) and music used in the TV show.

Clear w/ Red, Yellow & Orange "Satanic Splatter"

Cut by Adam Gonsalves at Telegraph Mastering

OCov2Q.jpg

X5b5qt.jpg

Well, it was originally made for the CW, and is made by the same people as Riverdale.

However, the CW Canceled it very early on. It was just too dark for them. Neflix picked it up, and they produced it as TV-MA.

I actually quite enjoyed it. They were able to do things you wouldn't ever see on the CW.

However, it does have similar characteristics to Riverdale. So if you hated that show, you may not be a fan of Sabrina.

Hank Mobley ‎– The Turnaround (Blue Note, 1989 Stereo Pressing)

Love this album, it's fantastic. Mobley absolutely kills it here and his side-men are superb, especially Philly Joe-Jones on drums! This is a late 80's pressing which actually isn't too bad. It's still on my upgrade list though, always on the lookout for it.

IMG_4376.JPG

Back