What's Spinning

5C302BDC-DE5C-4557-A5AE-9CA8DE8234E8.jpeg

NOW SPINNING: The House Guests - My Mind Set Me Free

A slab of Cincinnati hard funk slammers - most reissued (legally) for the first time! Post JB's / Pre-P-funk outfits headed up by brothers Catfish & Bootsy Collins along with a Cincinnati who's-who of top club players who could turn it out night after night after night in places like The Psychedelic Grave or The Round Up Club - that featured a caged bear in the club! This selection, hand picked by Bootsy, highlights that youthful output under various names as The House Guests, The Complete Strangers and Bootsy, Phelps & Gary. The monikers may have changed, but what they brought to the stage every night - leaving the club and audience devastated - never did.

IN QUEUE:

Ozzy Ozbourne - Blizzard Of Ozz

The Roots - Game Theory

New review turntable in place and is tradition, it plays the same first record that every new turntable (or an existing turntable after a cart or arm change) plays.

View attachment 30384

No, I have no idea how or why this came about but it did and now I can’t stop or clowns will eat me. Or something.

Looking forward to the review of the Concept and the active side of things in particular!

View attachment 30405

D'Angelo - Voodoo (Cheeba Sound/Virgin, 2000 - Original Pressing)

BTW, happy 20th to this masterpiece, released 20 years ago on this day - January 25, 2000.
They’ve gotta nice write up in The Ringer...

View attachment 30402

Beach House "Teen Dream"
...and this gotta nice write in Stereogum...

Back