What's Spinning

Art Tatum/Ben Webster - The Art Tatum & Ben Webster Quartet (Verve Records, 1958 First UK Mono Pressing)

This was Art Tatums last visit to a studio before he passed away (just 2 months after this session). The two were big stars at the time of recording and its a usual pairing as Webster tended to focus on tones and airy playing whilst Tatum played at break-neck speed. Some critics thought that Tatum ignored Webster's playing and the recording suffered as a result. Perhaps a fair claim but its still a killer session!

IMG_2675.JPG

My collection #1

Adem - Homesongs

Here goes with my own playthrough of my collection. With about 2,000ish records I reckon it's going to take just over a year. To break up the monotony I intend on taking the 1st from each cube/box I have (25 in total, mixing up genres a bit). Starting a bit later than planned due to listening to all my pre-Xmas purchases x 2...

Serendipity dictates that the first record is one of my very favourites. I used to review concerts for about a year and used to be sent all kinds of crap records. There was only one unsolicited record I was ever sent that I liked and it was this one. Adem was part of Fridge with Four Tet but he took the folk path rather than the electronic one after. This album is totally gorgeous - definitely in my top 10 ever albums. A great start.

20200126_190508.jpg

Last edited:
Back