What's Spinning

Muyumi Sonoda - Gogo Sanji No Aki (Studio Mule/Johnny's Disk Record, 2019 pressing)

According to discogs this is a Japanese import. Not sure if thats correct or if its like all the other studio mules, European reissues of j-jazz albums. Either way, the piano playing on this album is superb!

IMG_0754.PNG

Miles Davis & John Coltrane - The Final Tour: Paris, March 21, 1960 (Columbia, 2019 VMP Classics pressing)

My favourite Classics to date. This recording is such an important document in the Coltrane/Davis discography. Their final tour together and the last time they would play as the Miles Davis Quartet. Coltrane was so annoyed to be there that he would reportedly play hour long solos at gigs where they were only supposed to be playing 40 minute sets in total. He would also incorporate erratic and long solos unexpectedly causing the audience to whistle (local way of booing). Must have been an absolute blast to be there.

IMG_0767.PNG

Milt Jackson & John Coltrane - Bags & Trane (Atlantic, 2016 Mono Years Box Set)

Damn good session. Originally marketed as a Milt Jackson album but over the years as Coltranes reputation grew the subsequent reissues were always marketed as a lead for Coltrane with guest, Milt Jackson.

IMG_0780.JPG

My albums of 2019

14. The Murder Capital - When I Have Fears

This has been a vintage year for Irish music. From my AoTM to folk to punk/post-punk.

This is a beautiful heartbreaking post punk album full of emotion. Just about edges our Fontaines DC. Two great bands though!

31E0DE75-A935-4657-B052-1C75FE90E3C2.jpeg57EB624D-6D1C-4077-B28C-8D650CA69B75.jpeg

Last edited:
Back