What's Spinning

View attachment 20206

I wish I could credit whoever on this forum said this was a great companion to The Soft Bulletin, that got in my head and I couldn't shake it until I listened and now i can't stop!

Mercury Rev "Deserter's Songs"
If you like that be sure to check out their early albums. Deserter's Songs was a big departure from their old stuff. They used to be a noisy psychedelic /Shoegaze band.

Robert Pete Williams / Matthew "Hogman" Maxey* / Robert "Guitar" Welch – Angola Prisoners' Blues (1960, First UK Pressing)

This album is killer, really raw! I had previously listened to his later album, 'Those Prison Blues', so im familiar with his style, but hell this album outdoes it. His story is crazy as well. In 1956 he fatally shot a man in a nightclub, which he claimed was self-defence, and was given a life sentence. Later, two ethnomusicologists recorded him in prison (this album being recorded at the Angola State Penitentiary some years later) and ended up pleading for his innocence. In 1958 he was given parole and was required to provide 80 hours of labour per week. After that he recorded several albums, with many songs being written whilst he was in prison.

IMG_8579.JPG

Johnny "Hammond" Smith ‎– Black Coffee (Riverside, 1963 First Mono Pressing)

An oddity in the collection. I picked this up a few years ago, it might even be one of the first jazz albums I bought. I dont really know anything about the musicians performing, but what I do know is that its a killer live set recorded at the The Monterey Club, New Haven, Connecticut in 1962. Some really Jimmy Smith vibes.

IMG_8585.JPG

Back