What's Spinning

Definite the most “free” of the second quintet albums. One of the songs, I am convinced, doesn’t even have chord changes.
But I find it rewarding with repeated listens. Hopefully you will too :)
I liked it much better from the first two tracks on. I think I just put it on at the wrong time.

I liked it much better from the first two tracks on. I think I just put it on at the wrong time.

Oh man, those two tracks are earth-shattering for me!
To only play the head of the tune ("Nefertiti") and let the rest of the band build the improvisation? That is a suspense movie played by a jazz quintet for me!
They re-visit the idea through "Fall" of playing the head the entirety of the song, and improvise around that... it's a top 5 for Wayne in my book.
If you check out the bonus reissue cuts, they tried doing the same thing with "Pinnochio" to a less impressive extent, but I think it says a lot about what they were thinking about: honoring the melody/theme of the composition.

Then, "Hand Jive,"... it gets weird. I transcribed this entire album in college, and this song and "Madness" stumped me because there was NO consistency with the chord changes. If you listen again, Herbie barely/doesn't even comp under his own improvisations... very, very free compared to how the album begins.

I just can't say enough nice things about it.
Might have to go find it right now, actually...

Oh man, those two tracks are earth-shattering for me!
To only play the head of the tune ("Nefertiti") and let the rest of the band build the improvisation? That is a suspense movie played by a jazz quintet for me!
They re-visit the idea through "Fall" of playing the head the entirety of the song, and improvise around that... it's a top 5 for Wayne in my book.
If you check out the bonus reissue cuts, they tried doing the same thing with "Pinnochio" to a less impressive extent, but I think it says a lot about what they were thinking about: honoring the melody/theme of the composition.

Then, "Hand Jive,"... it gets weird. I transcribed this entire album in college, and this song and "Madness" stumped me because there was NO consistency with the chord changes. If you listen again, Herbie barely/doesn't even comp under his own improvisations... very, very free compared to how the album begins.

I just can't say enough nice things about it.
Might have to go find it right now, actually...
Gonna have to give it another chance at a more opportune time to really appreciate it this weekend. I think I was just in the mood for something jumpier at the time. Hand Jive definitely grabbed my attention, though.

Back