What's Spinning

#1532-1533

Ondatropica
Cumbias y Gaitas Famosas Vol 2

Two wonderful Colombian records, present and past. Ondatropica probably should have made my all-time top 50. It's sometimes described as the Colombian Buena Vista, but I think it's much better than that. It takes some of the old school musicians (eg Fruko, Michi Sarmiento), some newer ones and binds it together with Frente Cumbiero and Quantic. It's really magical stuff at times, including a rap from Ana Tijoux, some beatboxing, and a Black Sabbath cover but mostly just fantastic, upbeat, sunny Colombian music. Just as there's plenty on the Discos Fuentes compilation from the 60s.

20210501_100343.jpg

20210430_135834.jpg

#1532-1533

Ondatropica
Cumbias y Gaitas Famosas Vol 2

Two wonderful Colombian records, present and past. Ondatropica probably should have made my all-time top 50. It's sometimes described as the Colombian Buena Vista, but I think it's much better than that. It takes some of the old school musicians (eg Fruko, Michi Sarmiento), some newer ones and binds it together with Frente Cumbiero and Quantic. It's really magical stuff at times, including a rap from Ana Tijoux, some beatboxing, and a Black Sabbath cover but mostly just fantastic, upbeat, sunny Colombian music. Just as there's plenty on the Discos Fuentes compilation from the 60s.

View attachment 97680

View attachment 97681

I'm waiting on Ondatrópica in the mail! A friend recommended it and based on the first song and a half I pulled the trigger on one of the last copies of their current run on bandcamp. I've decided to wait until it's here to listen to the rest, and I'm looking very forward to it!

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Apocalypse (CBS, 1974 First Pressing)

finally something a bit different. I am familiar with this group through their release, Birds Of Fire, and when I saw this earlier for 50p I thought I would give it a go. It’s a crazy mix of jazz/rock fusion coupled up at times with an orchestra. Very crazy stuff.

10B9ECAF-FF3D-4876-AD52-FAC9883ACC0B.jpeg

Back