What's Spinning

Good to hear. I cleaned it again before I sent it across but didn't retest. Did you put it through the spinclean too?

Thanks! I haven’t had a chance yet, waiting for a few more to turn up before it’s worth filing, I just fancied giving it a spin!

Thanks! I haven’t had a chance yet, waiting for a few more to turn up before it’s worth filing, I just fancied giving it a spin!
Well it may be that the 3rd clean is the magic number for bum VMP presses. On the last I used that Christo stuff everyone has been furiously wanking over in the RCM thread too.

Well it may be that the 3rd clean is the magic number for bum VMP presses. On the last I used that Christo stuff everyone has been furiously wanking over in the RCM thread too.

It wouldn’t surprise me that GZ presses are that dirty. I also find randomly that anything I’ve got off VMP in the last year seems to quieten down after a few months in the anti static sleeves, no idea why that is!

It wouldn’t surprise me that GZ presses are that dirty. I also find randomly that anything I’ve got off VMP in the last year seems to quieten down after a few months in the anti static sleeves, no idea why that is!
I'd argue that as a general rule you shouldn't have to clean an album 3 times for it to stop sounding shit. And not everyone is fortunate enough to have an RCM and a bottle of Ukrainian vinyl love juice

I'd argue that as a general rule you shouldn't have to clean an album 3 times for it to stop sounding shit. And not everyone is fortunate enough to have an RCM and a bottle of Ukrainian vinyl love juice

Oh absolutely. I get having to do it once because of the oils in the mix to release the record from the stamper when it’s pressed but some of these newer presses are almost like they’ve been rolled around in some sawdust for the lols before being sleeved.

The Tubby Hayes Quartet - Mexican Green (Fontana, 2019 Gearbox Records Pressing)
The Tubby Hayes Quartet - Mexican Green (Fontana, 1968 First Mono Pressing)

Decided to do an A/B shoot out between these 2. Have to say that Gearbox did a fantastic job with this set, they are certainly up there as some of the better sounding pressings I have. The original does have a punch which the Gearbox is slightly lacking, but only really noticable when comparing side by side.

IMG_7694.JPG

Back