What's Spinning

Tubby Hayes & His Orchestra - The Orchestra (Fontana, 2019 Gearbox Records Pressing)

Its hard to see this release as anything other than a gimmick, cashing-in on the popular hits of the day. The track list is just that, well-known pop songs which have been reworked for an orchestral setup. It isn't a bad album at all, it's just a little jarring hearing it from someone that released an album as original and breath-taking as 'Mexican Green' just 2 years before.

IMG_7696.JPG

Pepper Adams & Donald Byrd - Motor City Scene (Bethlehem, 2020 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)

Pretty nice pressing of this fantastic album. The tiniest warp which I can live with and the print of the jacket isnt the sharpest, but thats me just being picky as it really does sound great!

IMG_7697.JPG

A now defunct local band who I fell in love with about 10 years ago. Shared a first date with my now wife. Arranged a proposal during one of their sets at the spot of our first date and for kicks, had them play our wedding. The first few times that I saw them, I felt in my gut that they had the potential to sustain a career. The music was always good. They were a lot of fun live, even in a drunken state. In the end they released 3 EPs and 1 full length. With the exception of this ep, you can find the others on Spotify and there’s lots of fun stuff on YouTube. After a few national tours, a few festivals and even opening for Noel Gallagher, things just kind of fizzled out.
The local music scene here is tricky but it does exist. This pandemic has sure made me miss that. Anyway feel free to check this band out. Maybe you’ll like them. I miss them.

Rusty Maples: like a lover should

23498CCB-B9C7-4540-92E8-CBAEDD603498.jpeg

Back