What's Spinning

Crosspost from the November Challenge Thread. Come Join The Fun!

Day 01: Dia de los Muertos
Play an album by a deceased artist, and importantly, choose the picture you'd put on their ofrenda.
Power Trip - Nightmare Logic
6EB94261-505B-4611-8050-295CA2599BBA.jpeg
Rest In Power (Trip) Riley Gale
CD5D87F8-2009-41B7-ABA9-C7FD71D44914.jpeg
Lots of sadness and loss in 2020. Lead singer of Power Trip, Riley Gale’s passing was especially tough. The band felt like they were maybe one album away from becoming the face of Metal. Still grateful for the amazing music Riley made during his short time. 🤘

N&G 500 - my top 50

#4: Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)

I adore Gillian Welch. I've seen her live many times, and she's consistently amazing (she's pretty likely to have two releases in my top 5 for 2020). This, for me, is her masterpiece. Can't wait for it to come out on vinyl, hopefully next year (it's the only one of my top 50 I don't own on wax). A highlight of her gigs has been seeing her play the closer I Dream A Highway as a rare encore. First time I saw her I had to buy a DVD in order to get something signed (not entirely sure I've actually watched the DVD). And Revelator the song would definitely be a Desert Island Disc too...

Screenshot_20201101-140403_Spotify.jpg

20201101_213420.jpg

N&G 500 - my top 50

#3: Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - Kings of Benin

I'd take any of my top 3 as my favourite album. Everyone knows my love of Poly-Rythmo, and it was a little difficult to pick one album from them. Their own first compilation (ALS 001) is perhaps my favourite of their OGs while Vol 4 is their best album. This compilation from Soundway contains the killer song from Vol 4, plus several of the best tracks from ALS 001 and it's a release that is reasonably easy to pick up. So many top tunes on it.

20201101_113814.jpg

N&G 500 - my top 50

#2: Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Racing through as I decided to post the final few before going to bed! (I listened to all these in the past few days to sort out my ranking). This and my number 1 have been my favourite albums for close to 30 years. I love the light and shade on this album, the power, the subtlety. Glorious...

20201029_103759.jpg

Nina Simone ‎– The Artistry Of Nina Simone (RCA, 1983 Compilation Pressing)

I consider myself a complete novice to Nina Simone's music, she's just someone that has evaded me for quite some time. This compilation is fantastic and certainly makes me want to dive into her discography.

IMG_4498.JPG

Back